10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
Moonlightprancer said:
Well I am a school teacher and that led me to be extremely organized on my package. My husband and I did not have the "typical relationship" having 4000 miles between us. I am an extremely sentimental person and took many photos etc kept bus cards of restaurants we went to and receipts for everything. I then started with oldest to newest. I broke my evidence up into the categories they expressed they wanted. Travel, communication, joint accounts, gifts, wedding, other, and photos. In each section I combined everything from oldest to recent. Then placed each section in an envelope with a typed mailing label on the front declaring what was inside each envelope. I also created a spreadsheet index of every item Nd detail for each section... Just in case it came out of order or lost or something. Basically this index said Item, Date, Description. It looked as shown:

Envelope #1 TRAVELING TO SEE EACH OTHER
- card stock paper title page stating contents
- card stock paper spreadsheet of each item detailed
- reg white paper photocopies of luggage tags, airlines ticket, shuttle bus receipts, ferry tickets etc.
(aprox 30 pages )

I did this format for each envelope. Then the photos were arranged by year/ visits. Each visit had it's own envelope and each photo had a mailing label on back with names birthdates and a sentence description. Wedding/ honeymoon had it's own envelope. I then threw about 12 small envelopes of photos into one large one and slapped on a label describing that it was photos.

I didn't know how much was enough so I included photocopies of brochures of places we went to a bunch of receipts from restaurants and wrote on my spreadsheet who was with us at the time. I also included a years worth of text message records and highlighted every time it was us texting/ calling each other other or our in-laws .
AWESOME..... very organized......my application was full of the same stuff....(just not organized so AMAZINGLY) .....i am very sentimental too and had all of the same....luggage tags...meal receipts....movie receipts ....airline tickets...tons of photos...all labelled on the back....detailed phone bills for over a year...Now reading how you did yours...i wish i would have been more organized!! WELL DONE :D

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ambber29 said:
I cann't find the thread
Here's the link to his thread about the interview in NYC:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t95316.0.html

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
I don't know if anyone here has read his book but I can just picture Daniel Stoffman seething at an article like that.
I have not, but I can only assume he's not a fan of immigration? From my personal experience, to be quite honest, most Canadians I have come in contact with (98% of which are from Quebec) there is really a high level of xenophobia just below the surface. Just this past week when discussing this article with friends a few of them responded with, "Oh great, more immigrants." To which I said, "yes, like me." Their response, "No, not like you. You're American. You're not really an immigrant. We mean people from the rest of the world..." You can, I hope, read between the lines there.

Coming from the U.S. where I find xenophobia to generally be more of a fringe sentiment (how many of us grow up discussing where our parents/grandparents immigrated from?) I am often take aback here in Canada with how many people are anti-immigrant. Even if only one person is willing to speak up so blatantly, generally I see over half the room nod their heads in agreement.

If the federal government really does start changing policies to increase immigration to Canada it's going to get interesting, especially here in Quebec.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
Not sure if you are aware of, it seems that Visitor Records are for visitors living in Canada. This is from my experience yesterday.

I crossed the border by car at Niagara Falls into Canada yesterday. As usual I handed in my passport together with the Visitor Record that I was given back in January. The officier at the booth asked me where I live and I answered Buffalo. Then she questioned why I have Visitor Record if I am not living in Canada. (How would I know why? They just gave it to me in January and told me to present it every time I cross the border to facilitate the entry!) I told her I travel back and forth between Toronto and Buffalo and may be that's why. She asked a few more questions and then let me in.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
AmericaninQuebec said:
I have not, but I can only assume he's not a fan of immigration? From my personal experience, to be quite honest, most Canadians I have come in contact with (98% of which are from Quebec) there is really a high level of xenophobia just below the surface. Just this past week when discussing this article with friends a few of them responded with, "Oh great, more immigrants." To which I said, "yes, like me." Their response, "No, not like you. You're American. You're not really an immigrant. We mean people from the rest of the world..." You can, I hope, read between the lines there.

Coming from the U.S. where I find xenophobia to generally be more of a fringe sentiment (how many of us grow up discussing where our parents/grandparents immigrated from?) I am often take aback here in Canada with how many people are anti-immigrant. Even if only one person is willing to speak up so blatantly, generally I see over half the room nod their heads in agreement.

If the federal government really does start changing policies to increase immigration to Canada it's going to get interesting, especially here in Quebec.
Hate to say this publicly but many non-Quebec Canadians think of Quebecers as a fringe element.

The Conference Board of Canada estimates that Canada will have to attract 375,000 new immigrants annually in order to stabilize the workforce and ensure economic growth. Beyond the sheer number needed Canadian businesses need to find ways to fully utilize the foreign talent the government is attracting. Way too many immigrants are working jobs well below their skill levels and their occupations in their home countries. Only part of this difference is explained by language and cultural barriers.

Ichiro

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
File Transfer...
12/02/2011
Interview........
28/09/2011
VISA ISSUED...
20/01/2012
LANDED..........
06/02/2012
Here's my partner's recent Landing Experience: :D

Arrived at 7am. Guard instructed me to waited downstairs close to the Tim Hortons. Tables and chairs. Others are waiting there too. Recommends sitting closest to the Tim’s Entrance.

7:30-7:40am - guard comes down and then takes you upstairs. He checks your passport and assigns you a number.

Next you head to the 30th Floor. One line for everyone. I'm 23rd in line. They took away our cell phones, however others did bring bags w/ IPads/other electronics. Small bags apparently are permitted as many did carry them.

Once It was my turn the clerk collected my passport, PPR email, along with 2 photos w/ date and the printed sheet with name, height, and eye colour.

Sat at the lobby. Filled up fast, close to 100 people.

They eventually called us by our numbers to the front count to pick up passport along w/ envelope( w/ the temporary landing documents), along with one Canadian entry Visa passport (b/c my country was not on the Canadian Visa exemption list). I was then told landing must occur within the next 6 months. The wait in the Canadian Buffalo embassy took about 3 hours in all.

Next I went back to the hotel to collect all my luggage and headed to the Buffalo bus terminal. My Main concern was holding up the Greyhound bus, however lucky for me there were others planning to land.

Once we arrived at the Canadian border we all lined up in the same line. I was then told to move to a separate section and lined up again. The process went by fast. The processing clerk was extremely friendly. She took the contents of the envelope and my passport. Asked for an address to send the the PR card to. This process took no longer an 10-15 minutes. She informed me of what I had to do next to get the Sin card, etc. I didn’t get a pin, but she did say welcome to Canada.

If you have goods to follow, then you can claim them now. I then moved into the customs line to declare the goods that eventually will be coming into Canada. Lucky for me I had a pre-writen list. I was done!

Lucky for me there were two others who needed to land so I didn’t feel bad making others on the bus wait. I'm so glad the process went over smoothly. Now it's time to wait for the PR card. Cheers!!

Hobby

Sep 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COPR came back; they had it since January 16, and we just got it back today on February 13.
We don't have a car so we sent it XPress post National both ways.

Hoping to cross at the Blue Water Bridge next weekend; called them up right now and they said it was a toll bridge. Fair enough. We're not sure if the $3.25 going to the US needs to be in American and the $3.00 coming back needs to be in Canadian, or vice versa, but if we bring a couple of fives of each, we should be okay.

One thing that concerns me a little: the COPR (like the rest of the application) was issued with my ex-husband's last name as my own, instead of my new married name or even my maiden name. EVERYTHING I have now is in my new married name. When we sent the application, we wrote in my new married name, not the ex-husband's last name, but they insisted to use that name instead.

So I was born as "Joan Smith", married "John Jones" and thus became "Joan Jones". Mr. "Jones" and I divorced, and I married "Regulus Brown". We sent all the application in as "Joan Brown" but CIC sent all the forms as Mrs. "Joan Jones". All my identification now shows as "Joan Brown". The husband's name, address, well, everything on the COPR except my last name is spot-on. Do you think there's going to be problems when we go make that grand U-Turn down Stateside? Even my passport is showing "Joan Brown" now. I /may/ have some documents that had been sent to me under the ex-husband's last name as mail, and I /may/ have a copy of my old driver's license, but it has a different address on it. Oh my. Have I harmed myself by assuming my new husband's name? XD

EDIT: Mr. Regulus Brown also isn't importing anything. He came with two suitcases of clothes, and everything he's needed since coming up for his visitation we've bought here in Canada. His Dad threw out everything else. What do we tell the Guards on Duty about "goods to follow"? No pets, no vehicles, no other chattels at all.

Thank you for your assistance!

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
Ichiro said:
Here's my partner's recent Landing Experience: :D

Arrived at 7am. Guard instructed me to waited downstairs close to the Tim Hortons. Tables and chairs. Others are waiting there too. Recommends sitting closest to the Tim's Entrance.

7:30-7:40am - guard comes down and then takes you upstairs. He checks your passport and assigns you a number.

Next you head to the 30th Floor. One line for everyone. I'm 23rd in line. They took away our cell phones, however others did bring bags w/ IPads/other electronics. Small bags apparently are permitted as many did carry them.

Once It was my turn the clerk collected my passport, PPR email, along with 2 photos w/ date and the printed sheet with name, height, and eye colour.

Sat at the lobby. Filled up fast, close to 100 people.

They eventually called us by our numbers to the front count to pick up passport along w/ envelope( w/ the temporary landing documents), along with one Canadian entry Visa passport (b/c my country was not on the Canadian Visa exemption list). I was then told landing must occur within the next 6 months. The wait in the Canadian Buffalo embassy took about 3 hours in all.

Next I went back to the hotel to collect all my luggage and headed to the Buffalo bus terminal. My Main concern was holding up the Greyhound bus, however lucky for me there were others planning to land.

Once we arrived at the Canadian border we all lined up in the same line. I was then told to move to a separate section and lined up again. The process went by fast. The processing clerk was extremely friendly. She took the contents of the envelope and my passport. Asked for an address to send the the PR card to. This process took no longer an 10-15 minutes. She informed me of what I had to do next to get the Sin card, etc. I didn't get a pin, but she did say welcome to Canada.

If you have goods to follow, then you can claim them now. I then moved into the customs line to declare the goods that eventually will be coming into Canada. Lucky for me I had a pre-writen list. I was done!

Lucky for me there were two others who needed to land so I didn't feel bad making others on the bus wait. I'm so glad the process went over smoothly. Now it's time to wait for the PR card. Cheers!!
Congratulations on landing! Was there any tax on goods you carried or goods to be followed?

Can anyone explain the procedure of crossing the border via road with your car? What is the procedure for car? Do we need special permission for car or can we just drive down to border and expect to cross it on the same day. How does it work?

Any response will be much appreciated.

Moonlightprancer

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo Outland application
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
O7-11-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011
File Transfer...
19-01-2012 to Seattle
Med's Done....
15-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2012
bloodyguitars said:
Congratulations on landing! Was there any tax on goods you carried or goods to be followed?

Can anyone explain the procedure of crossing the border via road with your car? What is the procedure for car? Do we need special permission for car or can we just drive down to border and expect to cross it on the same day. How does it work?

Any response will be much appreciated.

We will be crossing the border in a us vehicle and we have to go through the import process. There is a link on the cic website. I was told to clean car out and when Putting back tools etc make a list. Se IOs ask for this. Read the website for the specifics on your vehicle . Also call them three days before and let them know you are importing vehicle and you can fax the information to save time. Also check the thread on importing vehicles on here ... Some users have wrote many good comments

Good luck!!!

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
Moonlightprancer said:

We will be crossing the border in a us vehicle and we have to go through the import process. There is a link on the cic website. I was told to clean car out and when Putting back tools etc make a list. Se IOs ask for this. Read the website for the specifics on your vehicle . Also call them three days before and let them know you are importing vehicle and you can fax the information to save time. Also check the thread on importing vehicles on here ... Some users have wrote many good comments

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the info! I tried to find the CIC's vehicle import website, but no luck, can you post a link here?

I guess that was Seattle IO,if I am not wrong. I am planning to cross a border through either Detroit or Buffalo. Is there any tax/import fee on the vehicle?

Thanks a ton! Goodluck for the crossing!

StateOfConfusion

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Pennsylvania - USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2011
AOR Received.
20-01-2012 (CPC-M/Sponsor)/14-2-2012 (Buffalo)
File Transfer...
20-01-2012
Med's Done....
05-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR - 10-4-2012
LANDED..........
24-5-2012
I *think* I just got my AOR from Buffalo....that's what this is, right? And it's a good thing I think?

UCI: #####
Application No.: #####
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dear My Full Name,

This confirms that your application for permanent residence in Canada has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2011/11/18.

When should I contact CIC?
You must notify CIC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
• Changes in your personal circumstances, such as birth or adoption of a child, a marriage or a divorce
• Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number)
• Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual
• Decision to withdraw your application

To notify CIC of changes to your application, visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions.asp, select the office stated below, and follow the directions for “Case Specific Enquiry.”
When will CIC contact me?
CIC will contact you if we require additional information, documents, or an interview. For general guidance on what to expect, you can visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications and consult the “What happens next” section of the instruction guide associated with the application form you used.

How do I check the status of my application?
You may use either the Unique Client Identifier (UCI) or Application Number above to check the status of your application on the CIC website. Please visit www.cic.gc.ca/english and in the “I Need To ...” section on the right-hand side of the page, select “Check application status.”

How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times for reference at: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times
Please be aware that answering e-mails takes time away from processing applications. For this reason, unless your application has exceeded normal processing times, please limit your correspondence to notifying us of changes in your application.

How can I prepare for immigration to Canada?
Please consult the following resources about settlement in Canada:
• For information on language assessment and training, visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-language-training.asp
• For information on employment, visit www.credentials.gc.ca and www.workingincanada.gc.ca
• For information on housing, education, health, important documents, and other topics, visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers
We trust that this information concerning your application for permanent residence in Canada is helpful.

Consulate General of Canada
Visa Section
3000 HSBC Center
Buffalo, New York
14203-2884, USA
www.buffalo.gc.ca
www.cic.gc.ca

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
Congratulations on your AOR, and officially being yellow on our spreadsheet! :)

StateOfConfusion said:
I *think* I just got my AOR from Buffalo....that's what this is, right? And it's a good thing I think?

StateOfConfusion

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Pennsylvania - USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2011
AOR Received.
20-01-2012 (CPC-M/Sponsor)/14-2-2012 (Buffalo)
File Transfer...
20-01-2012
Med's Done....
05-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR - 10-4-2012
LANDED..........
24-5-2012
GOGOGO said:
Congratulations on your AOR, and officially being yellow on our spreadsheet! :)
It's really silly how happy it makes me to now be yellow. :D
Thank you! :)

jckovacs

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If by change you do get turned down. How do you go about getting your refund if you paid for everything up front?

doublemint

Oct 31, 2011
Yay, PPR email from LA!

I am very happy but a bit surprised, I thought they sent a COPR for USA citizens, but they are very clear about sending my actual passport.

;D