Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2012
LANDED..........
May 2012!
Hello, I asked a while back to be added to the spreadsheet, I think it was just missed.
Could I please be added?

App. Sent- Aug. 4, 2011
App. Recieved- Aug. 8, 2011
Sponsorship approved- Oct. 19, 2011
AOR Received- Dec. 15, 2011

Would appreciate it, thank you!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're on.
Avila said:
Hello, I asked a while back to be added to the spreadsheet, I think it was just missed.
Could I please be added?

App. Sent- Aug. 4, 2011
App. Recieved- Aug. 8, 2011
Sponsorship approved- Oct. 19, 2011
AOR Received- Dec. 15, 2011

Would appreciate it, thank you!

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Sorry to read this, but it sounds like Buffalo is being quite ridiculous in your case. You ought to talk to a different MP if your MP won't help you. There's been other people here that have done just that and some have managed to get their files moving that way.

You might have to redo your FBI yet again, and you really should write your visa file number on the outside of the envelope so that they'll hopefully won't lose it on you. You did do that with the last FBI clearance letter you sent in, right?

Beyond that, it might be time to get the help of a lawyer.
FloridaNative said:
Hi Everyone,
It has been quite a while since I have posted. I am a December 2010 applicant, now waiting almost 14 months. I am American my husband Canadian. We met, married and lived in Florida for 3 years before we decided to move to Ottawa.
I am beyond frustrated with Buffalo, and have tried everything short of working with a Lawyer to get answers. If appears my FBI never made it from Mississauga to Buffalo. We have received final notice letters from Buffalo, requesting the same documents that were over-nighted to them months before. We have ordered CAIPS notes 2 times, and all that shows is very little is being done with our file. Our MP was useless, and has done nothing to help us.
We just do not know what to do anymore. There is no one to call. We have no idea who is working on our file.
We never dreamed 14 months ago, it would take this long. I have been unable to work, and have no Health Care.
Does anyone share our experience?

Thanks for reading...

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
I feel for you.Its been almost a year for me and still waiting.Buffalo has been giveing me the run around also.I got introuble when I was 17 so I was a minor even.On my FBI check it said my charges were anawled but they wanted proof from the court anyway.So I contacted the court were it happened and had all the court records sent to me and I forwarded them to Buffalo.This was over joy rideing in a boat that wasnt ours.Now they say there doing the 2nd part of my background check so who knows how long that takes.On your GCMS notes it doesnt show the officers number who is working on your case?

FloridaNative said:
Hi Everyone,
It has been quite a while since I have posted. I am a December 2010 applicant, now waiting almost 14 months. I am American my husband Canadian. We met, married and lived in Florida for 3 years before we decided to move to Ottawa.
I am beyond frustrated with Buffalo, and have tried everything short of working with a Lawyer to get answers. If appears my FBI never made it from Mississauga to Buffalo. We have received final notice letters from Buffalo, requesting the same documents that were over-nighted to them months before. We have ordered CAIPS notes 2 times, and all that shows is very little is being done with our file. Our MP was useless, and has done nothing to help us.
We just do not know what to do anymore. There is no one to call. We have no idea who is working on our file.
We never dreamed 14 months ago, it would take this long. I have been unable to work, and have no Health Care.
Does anyone share our experience?

Thanks for reading...

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, as far as mailing documents to Buffalo and then having Buffalo ask for aforementioned documents multiple times after they received them, that's just an example of the FUBAR nature of Buffalo.

Email them at the non-published email address and ask to confirm that they received the second set of documents that you sent in December, and tell them that they had already received this information months earlier.

As far as the conviction, they might be comparing the offense to the criminal Criminal Code of Canada so they can make an assessment on your admissability based on that. Was it for a violent crime?

FloridaNative said:
Applied in December 2010
Jan 2011-Sponsorship approves and file sent to buffalo

Feb2011- Nothing

Mar 2011- I moved to Ottawa and was issued a Visitor Visa. No problems at the border everything went perfect.

April 2011- Nothing

May 2011- Nothing

June 2011- Nothing

July- Nothing

August- Drove to Buffalo to reinstate Visitor Visa. Was told, I am inadmissible due to conviction from 13 years ago. The officer told me I will receive a letter from Buffalo stating inadmissibility. After payiing $300 he issued me a Temp. Resident Permit. We order CAIPS notes after returning home to see what was stated in my file.

September- Received first correspondence from Buffalo after 9 months. State they needed FBI records, and Florida state clearance. and all court documents from convictions. Since we had already mailed FBI back in to Mississauga we sent the the copy of original, attached to cover letter we mailed with Original FBI report.We also sent court docs and Florida state clearance. We mailed all these documents the same day, we received email request.

October-Nothing
November- Requested second CAIPS NOTES.
December- Received a final letter asking for the Exact same documents they requested in September. We re-sent for a second time all the exact same documents they had requested in September
Jan 2012- Recieved CAIPS notes. Nothing had been noted on our file since MAY.

In regards to the arrests, I was 21 years old at the time and very immature and irresponsible. I was only convicted of one of the crimes, the other adjudication was withed. Both were consider Misdemeanors. I am a 36 year old woman today and I am so disappointed to find my mistakes of the past have led to the inability to gain permanent residency.
Now we still wait.

FloridaNative

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-10
AOR Received.
01-13-11
Thanks Everyone. Yes, I am going to order a second FBI record check and mail it to buffalo with my File number. When I look at the CAIPS notes, there are multiple file numbers.
The charges were for Petty Theft- not convicted and DUI convicted, but like i said they were both 13 years ago, and I have not had any trouble with the law since. As a matter of fact, I do not even drink anymore, as it obviously caused problems in my past.

I wish the immigration officers could just pick up the phone and call me to discuss the file. No such luck though.

This whole process has really helped me surrender and let go of things I can not control...

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not have more than one visa file number. CIC's website on criminal inadmissability states that, "If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada." What *probably* means given your case in which it's been more than a decade I don't know. If you do become judged inadmissable, you can apply for rehabilitation, but that will obviously create an even longer wait for PR. Good luck.
FloridaNative said:
Thanks Everyone. Yes, I am going to order a second FBI record check and mail it to buffalo with my File number. When I look at the CAIPS notes, there are multiple file numbers.
The charges were for Petty Theft- not convicted and DUI convicted, but like i said they were both 13 years ago, and I have not had any trouble with the law since. As a matter of fact, I do not even drink anymore, as it obviously caused problems in my past.

I wish the immigration officers could just pick up the phone and call me to discuss the file. No such luck though.

This whole process has really helped me surrender and let go of things I can not control...

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Reading these posts about past trouble with the law makes me realize just how close I "dodged the bullet". My petty theft from 1998 was dismissed because they screwed up and I agreed to pay the fines. Regardless, it shows as a dismissed charge on my FBI record so I sent state clearance (no record) and a printout from the court website detailing how the case went. I think it's BS that a charge from that long ago would cause any problems, even a DUI should be ignored if there's been no trouble since (and I am rabid anti-drinking and driving). I hope they straighten up and get their crap together for you guys.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mumbles said:
Quince....I was under the impression that if you had a visitors visa and were in process of applying for permanent residence that you were able to get health care? is this not true in your case?
I even spoke with CIC agent regarding this and I was told that only inland applications are eligible for OHIP coverage after they receive sponsor approval letter. For now I'm dealing with a crappy insurance that I purchased to cover me during my stay in Canada. Ohh Canada!!!

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
Quince777 said:
I even spoke with CIC agent regarding this and I was told that only inland applications are eligible for OHIP coverage after they receive sponsor approval letter. For now I'm dealing with a crappy insurance that I purchased to cover me during my stay in Canada. Ohh Canada!!!
Thats crappy for you Quince....I'm glad i asked about it.....now i know.....i checked the BC health care website and there is not really any way my husband can get health care until he gets his PR ...someone previously mentioned that Alberta health care will allow you to but I have by doubts now too as it states similar things as the Ontario health care site....I guess it does make sense....It just would have made it so much easier for my husband to be here without working....There always seem to be a curve ball! But ....when you look at the average time frames on the spreadsheet...I am trying to stay positive that in March we could see some great activity Quince!

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mumbles said:
someone previously mentioned that Alberta health care will allow you to but I have by doubts now too
That was me :)

Here you (and anyone else needing the info) go:
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/temporary-residents.html

Alberta Health and Wellness requires applicants to include one of the following documents from Citizenship and Immigration Canada with their application for AHCIP coverage:

a confirmation of permanent residence
a permanent resident card
an active work, study, or visitor* permit for Alberta
or a designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation
And from http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q-register-requirements.html

All permanent residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependants with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. A permanent Alberta resident is a person who has the legal right to remain in Canada, makes Alberta his/her permanent home, and is physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period.
It's best to read both pages all the way as my quotes don't give enough detail, but Alberta definitely gives coverage to visitors with a 1 year visitor record.

janyte

May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/05/2011
File Transfer...
21/06/2011
Med's Done....
4/26/2011
ddobro2 said:
Wow, things are rolling along on here. While I still don't have PPR, I got an e-cas update from the e-cas tracker saying, "A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision."

Hmn, very unusual to get "decision made" before PPR. I'll take it though.
So....what happened? I just got the same message today. Did you hear by email or letter? (or have you not heard?)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
awor said:
That was me :)

Here you (and anyone else needing the info) go:
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/temporary-residents.html

And from http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q-register-requirements.html

It's best to read both pages all the way as my quotes don't give enough detail, but Alberta definitely gives coverage to visitors with a 1 year visitor record.
Have you gone and signed up for the Alberta health coverage yet? I too find it odd that they would allow someone who is only a visitor to sign up, since it is draining resources from tax-paying citizens. Personally, if I were living and working in Alberta I'd be pretty pissed to find out that my hard-earned tax dollars were going towards the health care of a tourist, but I'm stingy like that. ::) I hope for your sake they do accept your visitor record and let you get coverage.

That said, if some provinces allow extended visitors to get provincial health coverage, why is the federal government demanding private health insurance for parents and grandparents coming in under the super-visa? Shouldn't there be an exception for those coming to provinces where they would be allowed to get provincial coverage?

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
FloridaNative said:
August- Drove to Buffalo to reinstate Visitor Visa. Was told, I am inadmissible due to conviction from 13 years ago. The officer told me I will receive a letter from Buffalo stating inadmissibility. After payiing $300 he issued me a Temp. Resident Permit. We order CAIPS notes after returning home to see what was stated in my file.

September- Received first correspondence from Buffalo after 9 months. State they needed FBI records, and Florida state clearance. and all court documents from convictions. Since we had already mailed FBI back in to Mississauga we sent the the copy of original, attached to cover letter we mailed with Original FBI report.We also sent court docs and Florida state clearance. We mailed all these documents the same day, we received email request.
Hi FloridaNative, just in case you haven't seen these sections of the website I wanted to point them out to you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

and

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp#table_1

I did a quick search as well, and it doesn't appear that drunk driving is punishable by more than 10 yrs in prison here in Canada (or I should say, in the various provinces). That seems to be the magic number for rehabilitation - if your crime could be punished by 10 yrs or more in prison then you must apply for rehabilitation no earlier than 5 yrs after the end of your imposed sentence. If it could be punished by less than 10 yrs in prison then you are generally deemed rehabilitated (i.e. you do not have to file any paperwork) 10 yrs after the end of your imposed sentence (i.e. not the date you were convicted, but if you received say a 2 yr probationary period, then at the end of those 2 yrs the 10 yr clock would start). You may apply for rehabilitation in that case after 5 yrs instead of waiting for the full 10 yr period to pass.

I get the impression that CIC really frowns upon drunk driving, which is kind of a funny thing to single out when there are so many other crimes that should also give them pause (for example, why isn't child abuse mentioned specifically as a big no-no?) before admitting someone as a permanent resident. That said, I do not see any language that says you can't be rehabilitated and thus admissible as a permanent resident. I also would assume that if it was your first and only offense then your sentence was either a year or so of probation, mandatory alcohol education and lots of fines (at least, that's what it generally was when I worked in prosecution in MA). So if you committed the crime 13 yrs ago I would assume that by now you could be deemed rehabilitated. It's probably just down to Buffalo being a major screw-up and taking its sweet time getting around to really taking a hard look at your file.

I personally would consider finding a lawyer that specializes in immigration law in Canada, and paying him/her to write a letter to Buffalo explaining clearly and concisely what happened, and why you are not inadmissible to Canada now (based on the above type information). It may seem like a pain to pay the money now, but having it laid out clearly in front of them in a letter from a lawyer may be the difference between the visa officer in Buffalo finalizing your file and issuing PPR, and your file dragging on for months longer as they try to do the analysis of the situation themselves. Plus the fact that the letter is coming from a lawyer shows that you are aware of your rights and would likely be willing to challenge a denial of PR. Just my two cents on the matter though.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
AmericaninQuebec said:
Have you gone and signed up for the Alberta health coverage yet? I too find it odd that they would allow someone who is only a visitor to sign up, since it is draining resources from tax-paying citizens. Personally, if I were living and working in Alberta I'd be pretty pissed to find out that my hard-earned tax dollars were going towards the health care of a tourist, but I'm stingy like that. ::) I hope for your sake they do accept your visitor record and let you get coverage.

That said, if some provinces allow extended visitors to get provincial health coverage, why is the federal government demanding private health insurance for parents and grandparents coming in under the super-visa? Shouldn't there be an exception for those coming to provinces where they would be allowed to get provincial coverage?
Most tourists can't get 1 year visitor visas. I'm guessing the idea is if someone is here long term, their traveler's insurance won't cover them (I think that kind of coverage good for 3-6 months usually) and getting them covered costs less than an uninsured person going to the hospital and racking up a huge bill they can't pay.

I haven't gone in yet - my husband has been working every day since the extension came in (works in the oil patch, god knows when he'll get a day off, and he as to be there too since we're being added to his account) but both Alberta Health and the registry in town told me what to bring in and that I'd be approved in 72 hours or less. If it looks like DH won't get any time off in Feb, we can mail it in but it takes 4 weeks for approval.