Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeppers, "a small ant" :-X is from Hong Kong. She mentioned that country when she referred to her arrest record and that's the HK flag (red, star in the middle) on her profile.
mjh49783aa said:
i would imagine that he might not have realized at the time that one already had 'flown the cuckoo's nest' so to speak.

I have to conclude however, that if I went through an experience like that at the border, that I would've likely lost a screw as well.

One other thing I can conclude from this particular subject is that I don't think we were getting the whole story from her, either. She, or he, said he/she was from a visa exempt country, but the manner of her broken English suggests that she may be deceptive for whatever reason. I'm thinking she may perhaps be Chinese. I didn't read through the whole thing, though. It was just too much for me to handle. But then, I went to the CIC website to see what countries and territories are listed as requiring a visa, and apparently, Hong Kong is visa exempt - though China is not. (I thought Hong Kong has been a part of China since 1999?) So I really don't know.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Welcome. I hope the immigration process goes smoothly for you.
aminca said:
I guess I'll be joining you all over here. My app was just approved and sent to Buffalo today.

App mailed: 11/14/11
App received by CIC-M: 11/15/11
App approved and sent to Buffalo: 1/17/12

Let me know if there's any other information you need for the spreadsheet. Nice to finally join you all. Here's to everyone's process going smoothly and quickly.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
You know, I was focused of reading the commentary on that topic so much, I didn't even think to look at her profile.
Meanwhile, I don't want to appear discriminatory towards her over her mental state, but people don't get arrested for no reason, and I don't believe that if you have a mental illness that you have an excuse for criminality.
ddobro2 said:
Yeppers, "a small ant" :-X is from Hong Kong. She mentioned that country when she referred to her arrest record and that's the HK flag (red, star in the middle) on her profile.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Yep. That's the one! LOL
amaranth said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKlxjbhB9HE

;)

Hobby

Sep 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddobro2 said:
Just got back from the post office where I mailed my passport to Fort Erie. Yes, the PPR email came earlier today. Finally, finally, finally I am out of this immigration hell. Needless to say, my best wishes go out to everyone still waiting but especially those that have been waiting the longest. After all, sometimes this process gets a little redic - so much so that they should maybe have an SNL skit about how long people wait for - like show someone dropping off their application as a young person and then while laying on their death bed, lo and behold, they get an email from Buffalo requesting their passport......and they die happy. Okay, that was a gross exaggeration :)

Another one bites the dust!
Enfin! Beaucoup de joie!

We are SO HAPPY for you!

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
ddobro2 said:
Just got back from the post office where I mailed my passport to Fort Erie. Yes, the PPR email came earlier today. Finally, finally, finally I am out of this immigration hell. Needless to say, my best wishes go out to everyone still waiting but especially those that have been waiting the longest. After all, sometimes this process gets a little redic - so much so that they should maybe have an SNL skit about how long people wait for - like show someone dropping off their application as a young person and then while laying on their death bed, lo and behold, they get an email from Buffalo requesting their passport......and they die happy. Okay, that was a gross exaggeration :)

Another one bites the dust!
It's about effing time, congrats! Been waiting on this one for a while. :)

bubba

Jan 12, 2012
This has probably been mentioned before, so ignore this as needed, but... The official average for outland Buffalo applicants is 11 months, but the average of people on this forum seems closer to 6-7. Are we all just the chosen ones or do they inflate the average for some reason? :D

imp

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2011
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Passport Req..
09-01-2012
First off congrats ddobro2 :D

bubba said:
This has probably been mentioned before, so ignore this as needed, but... The official average for outland Buffalo applicants is 11 months, but the average of people on this forum seems closer to 6-7. Are we all just the chosen ones or do they inflate the average for some reason? :D
Well we're a very small portion of the applications going through and I'd venture to guess that many of us were rather obsessive about getting our applications juuust right. People who haven't taken the time to read other people's stories and understand just how thorough they need to be might not be as careful putting their application together and then have to send additional information.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not the "official average," but rather the number of months Buffalo took to finalize 80% of applicants based on the last 12 months' data. An average is a measure of central tendency, on the other hand.

However, I do agree that we here are the "chosen ones" because we get to be on this forum ;)
bubba said:

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was surprised to see here a couple of people who have been patiently waiting for 1 year to get their PPR. In fact they started posting on this forum only after their PPR letter. So there is a small perecentage of those who go over 11 month-period.

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011, 15-12-2011 (transferred to LA)
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
mjh49783aa said:
You know, I was focused of reading the commentary on that topic so much, I didn't even think to look at her profile.
Meanwhile, I don't want to appear discriminatory towards her over her mental state, but people don't get arrested for no reason, and I don't believe that if you have a mental illness that you have an excuse for criminality.
The thing is there is a broad spectrum of mental illness. If you're thinking of mental illness as depression, then no, most people wouldn't commit crimes. But mental illness also encompasses schizophrenics and these people hear voices, or see things that compel them to do things out of their control; in a sense they lose sense of reality. They have delusions (like this lady probably really does think CBSA drugged her, even though in all likelihood this never happened).

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cantor2537 said:
The thing is there is a broad spectrum of mental illness. If you're thinking of mental illness as depression, then no, most people wouldn't commit crimes. But mental illness also encompasses schizophrenics and these people hear voices, or see things that compel them to do things out of their control; in a sense they lose sense of reality. They have delusions (like this lady probably really does think CBSA drugged her, even though in all likelihood this never happened).
Yeah, I remember the movie called "Beautiful Mind" where the schizophrenic Harvard professor was having hallucinations, as if some government agency was after him. Then at the end it turns out he was having symptoms of schizophrenia. Does it run in genes? What are the risk factors to get such mental disease?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Somebody must have kicked Buffalo in the butt this week because one of my non-forum friends finally got her PPR too. She was in process for 12 months and has given me permission to post some of what she went through here. So some snippets from her story follow..

Mid Dec 2011
Hi. It's time for me to lawyer up because Buffalo has misplaced my Police Clearance and won't update my address to tell me this months ago and I'm running out of time. I'm going to use this law firm to help me because I'm sick of communicating to a black hole.

I and another friend encouraged her to go the MP route first...

Thanks ladies for your stories and concerns. By running out of time I mean I was given a specific impossible deadline to get a new original Police Clearance to Buffalo or they will return my application and make me wait another 11 months. In the meantime my temporary OHIP will expire, I could be hassled at the border if I leave Canada, I can't work here if I wanted to, or go to school here if I wanted to. I have all my documentation in order showing I sent the original police clearance to the proper place and also repeatedly tried to update my address/phone with Buffalo. Tomorrow my husband and I are camping out at our MP's office to get an audience with one of the staff members in hopes that may help. I am going to hire the attorney as I need an expert professional to form a relationship with the Immigration Officer at this point. I do not want to go it alone again if I have to redo my application with a new medical exam or even getting a new original police clearance...once in a lifetime for that exercise was enough.

End Dec
Since I posted last, my husband and I went to our MP's office on Monday, Dec. 19 and the representative there was very helpful. The next morning her and I received separate emails from Buffalo saying my the scanned pdf copy they we sent them the day before was being reviewed and placed with my application. The hope is this review will eliminate the need for me to get a new original as their answer stated I do not need to submit anything else at this time. Also, Buffalo confirmed they finally updated my address and phone number. So we have made some progress.

The MP's office told me to contact them again around January 12 if I have not received my PR approval yet and they will further pursue the matter with me. Because I had my postal receipt showing proof I mailed the original police clearance to Mississauga in February they will help me pursue the copy should be used and my application not rejected. They will also help me negotiate a date extension for my OHIP if that becomes necessary. As per your advice, I will make sure to be in the office when they negotiate with Buffalo and ask them to contact the Supervisor of Records as well as use the term, "no wish to abandon the application".

Mid Jan 2012
Friday the 13th turned out to be my lucky day! After working with my MP' office (Bob Rae's Assistant) and MPP's office (Glen Murray's Assistant) by phone, online, and in person this week, they hooked me up with the Ontario Ministry of Health. Although never requested in any instructions, I must say showing them an updated resume and a good letter of recommendation from my volunteer position here in Toronto seemed to help the situation the way a greased palm does with a maitre d'. In the span of about 4 hours yesterday by phone and email, a analyst from the Ministry resolved all my problems. I gave her my documentation regarding my PR application and I signed a release for her by scanning and emailing back and forth. She was then able to plead my case to a representative at the Federal level in Immigration so that she could have access to my file and see I have done everything right for them to process my PR application. She then decided to extend my OHIP through mid-Sept. of 2012 and with a letter I will receive next week in the mail I will be able to extend it past that date if my PR application is still not approved.

I was also given instructions of how to leave and return to Canada without a hassle at the border if I still don't have my PR card...just bring with me my proof of address, health card, and any letters from OHIP and Canadian Immigration with my passport.

Also, it looks like Immigration is so backed up in Buffalo that the processing of apps which was taking 11 months, is now taking 19 months!
[She says it's posted on cic, but I checked and it still says 11 months] So instead of getting my approval in the Dec.-Jan. time, it looks like I should get it now in the July-August time. Because everyone who applied is having this problem there is a very high likelihood they are going to extend the medical exam expiration date from 1 year to whenever the app is approved.

I am a very happy how all this turned out and the money I saved so much money by not having to hire an attorney, purchase emergency private health insurance, fees for walk-in clinics if needed, and additional fees for any new documents I feel like I have won the lottery!! I hope my story helps some others trying to figure out the maze of websites, classified info traps, and secret handshakes!

Jan 17
I received an email from Buffalo saying I was in the final stages of PR approval with instructions to send them a copy of my passport and 2 PR photos. So, I think all my work last week really helped to get my application done by convincing them on several fronts to accept my pdf copy of the police clearance or prompted them to find the original one I sent to them in February. Last Friday on a whim I decided to go to the secured Buffalo webpage where you can attach documents with a note to communicate with Buffalo. There I created a short message and attached pdf copies of my resume, letter of recommendation, and a current financial asset sheet. On Monday within minutes of getting the other email mentioned above, I also received a reply thanking me for sending them the updated documents. Although these documents were never requested I am sure they helped with getting my application in it's final review stage assigned to an Immigration Officer. I carefully followed the detailed mailing directions yesterday and now the requested items have been delivered to the Fort Erie address. I am suppose to receive my final PR documents by February 1.

So by communicating with my MP's office, my MPP's office, and using the Buffalo secured message system to send updated asset information (they consider your skills on your resume assets, not just financial info)
[ I've never heard of this!] I was able to get this process completed in 12 months. Perhaps if I had known to use the secured Buffalo message system back in May my address would have been updated sooner. Also, if I had known not to send in my police clearance separately or at least until I had a client number to match it with the rest of my application the approval process may have been completed much earlier. IMO, the processing times posted on the Canadian Immigration website for completing the application approval are all relative to how well you can decipher their instructions. I hope this info can help someone else navigate to a successful completion with less stress.

If any of you would like more information from my friend about her process, please PM me. I only occasionally pop in here and it is very hard to follow embedded threads of conversations as they now tend to extend over multiple pages.

Good luck all!
Allison