+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
Hello everyone!
I am an early June applicant. My Buffalo spousal application has been showing "started processing" since early August with no "in process" showing. Just wondering if "in process" will have to show before PPR as some applicants of same timelines are getting PPR?
I had the impression that "in process" is the final stage of "started processing"?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, we can't say that 100% of people have e-cas go to "in process" before they get the PPR from Buffalo/extension office. Some people stay at "application received," if you can believe that. But yes, "in process" is the last thing that e-cas will show before it says, "decision made," which again, can be very very untimely - some people finally have an e-cas update saying that months after they land.
AW2011 said:
Hello everyone!
I am an early June applicant. My Buffalo spousal application has been showing "started processing" since early August with no "in process" showing. Just wondering if "in process" will have to show before PPR as some applicants of same timelines are getting PPR?
I had the impression that "in process" is the final stage of "started processing"?

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
ddobro2 said:
Unfortunately, we can't say that 100% of people have e-cas go to "in process" before they get the PPR from Buffalo/extension office. Some people stay at "application received," if you can believe that. But yes, "in process" is the last thing that e-cas will show before it says, "decision made," which again, can be very very untimely - some people finally have an e-cas update saying that months after they land.
Thank you ddobro2! That clears my mind a bit as I was just wondering there might be an interview. I was reading other people(with Buffalo) have been getting only 3 weeks notice for interview lately. One would need more time just to book an inexpensive flight and hotel these days.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's a good problem to have! One person (I hope he doesn't mind me talking about him) has been waiting since I believe April and the interview date that was just recently set is for 4 months after the letter.

Why do you think you might have to go through an interview?
AW2011 said:
Thank you ddobro2! That clears my mind a bit as I was just wondering there might be an interview. I was reading other people(with Buffalo) have been getting only 3 weeks notice for interview lately. One would need more time just to book an inexpensive flight and hotel these days.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
mjh49783aa said:
It's a good thing to point out for people, as it seems like it would be something that's really easy to overlook.

I know I still have five years left on my US passport, but now that you've mentioned that, I'm wondering how I can renew my passport while in Canada for when the time comes.
I looked into it a few weeks ago. For Americans living in Canada you submit form DS-82 (http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html) to the address listed on the form.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
I hear you, but you have to understand that we had to wait for the marriage licence because I was previously married and divorced in Michigan, and since it seems that Ontario and Michigan don't really speak to each other, getting a lawyer to say it's all good, and then having Thunder Bay say 'good enough for us' was basically our option at that point. Had I been unmarried, we wouldn't have had to go through all that malarkey.

I'm going to assume the reason why they do all this is to try and protect, or warn the Ontario spouse that they have no way of verifying for themselves the legitimacy of that divorce as it happened outside of Canadian jurisdiction. Makes me wonder if it's the same way or not if the divorce were to have happened anywhere else in Canada except for Ontario. Does Ontario talk to the other provinces? They apparently don't talk to any of the US states. (except for some driver's licence swap agreement - and I still went and got a copy of my driving record anyway!)

But yeah. It's quite an absurd process from our point of view. Meanwhile, a 'state sponsored pre-nup' sounds really strange to me from where I'm sitting, but I bet the reason why Quebec does it that way is so they don't have to deal with so many drawn out divorce fights over property issues. Just have 'the argument' out of the way before the marriage. Actually, it doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

As for waiting for the marriage to be registered in Ontario before we could get our certs, I did not have to go through that malarkey in my first marriage. I think that certificate came in the mail after about ten days or so. As for Ontario, there's probably only one place for vital records to go to get registered, or so I would imagine. In Michigan, there is one for each county, so there's 83 county clerk offices altogether.

These are the only things I can think of as to why things like this in Ontario are so slow. But the next time I need a marriage cert from Ontario, it should be pretty quick.

AmericaninQuebec said:
Goodness Ontario takes a long time for marriage licenses and certificates. We decided to get married exactly 4 weeks before we did it here in Quebec. We saw the notary about it a few days later, just in time for her to publish the announcement in the local papers (required by law). We didn't have to do any medical exams, just sign off on papers stating that we were never previously married, etc. and pick a marriage scheme (when you marry in QC they want you to decide upfront how assets will be divided if you ever divorce, basically they force you to consider a state approved pre-nup). We paid a few dollars extra to get our marriage certificate right away, so we had it about 10 days after the ceremony, otherwise I think it takes up to 4 weeks here.

Why in the world does Ontario make people wait 2 mths for a marriage license and then another two months to register it? Seems positively absurd.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Hmmm.... I never thought of it that way.

Quince777 said:
I think for lawyers it's easier to deal with immigration for other people than if you work on your own papers, because you're attached to it so much that you stress over everything. Same with the doctors who look after sick people: if they were all stressing too much over each patient they wouldn't last too long in their jobs. That's why they're more objective to the patient, as there is no emotions involved.

imp

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2011
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Passport Req..
09-01-2012
mjh49783aa said:
It's a good thing to point out for people, as it seems like it would be something that's really easy to overlook.

I know I still have five years left on my US passport, but now that you've mentioned that, I'm wondering how I can renew my passport while in Canada for when the time comes.
Not such a big deal to renew your US passport from Canada http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html
:)

Edited to add: And I'm a slacker because I didn't notice that your concern was already addressed.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Thanks for the info! ;)

AmericaninQuebec said:
I looked into it a few weeks ago. For Americans living in Canada you submit form DS-82 (http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html) to the address listed on the form.
imp said:
Not such a big deal to renew your US passport from Canada http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html
:)

imp

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2011
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Passport Req..
09-01-2012
mjh49783aa said:
Does Ontario talk to the other provinces? They apparently don't talk to any of the US states. (except for some driver's licence swap agreement - and I still went and got a copy of my driving record anyway!)
Have you already changed your drivers license from Michigan to Ontario? If so how did it go? Just curious because it's going to be something I have to do soon and I'm not sure what to expect.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
When I said that, I actually meant for if we accidentally lose our own copy, but I suppose it could work for that purpose, too. LOL :D

ddobro2 said:
Just don't tell that to your wife! :p

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Though having the visitor record allows me the option of swapping out my Michigan license for an Ontario licence, I haven't done that yet. I'm waiting until I actually land first before I start all that stuff.

But from what I understand, I'll have to go to a DriveTest centre with my Michigan license, and though having a copy of my Michigan driving record is not necessary, they do recommend getting one. Therefore, I went and got one because I'm not taking any chances! I've had a license for over 22 years, and I'll be miffed if there's an issue with the swap!

imp said:
Have you already changed your drivers license from Michigan to Ontario? If so how did it go? Just curious because it's going to be something I have to do soon and I'm not sure what to expect.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
mjh49783aa said:
Though having the visitor record allows me the option of swapping out my Michigan license for an Ontario licence, I haven't done that yet. I'm waiting until I actually land first before I start all that stuff.

But from what I understand, I'll have to go to a DriveTest centre with my Michigan license, and though having a copy of my Michigan driving record is not necessary, they do recommend getting one. Therefore, I went and got one because I'm not taking any chances! I've had a license for over 22 years, and I'll be miffed if there's an issue with the swap!
It really is funny how different things are from province to province (I suppose just like it is from state to state), but I tried to get my license switched last year to let me be on my husband's insurance (his company was being a pain). When I tried to do it here in QC I was told I had to have either a work permit or my permanent residency before they'd allow me to get a QC driver's license.