Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, it seriously boggles my mind how they can bear that in the summer when people wearing shorts and tank tops are complaining (I guess it puts that into perspective too).

Best of luck during landing.

Oh and I think today Buffalo may actually grace us with a PPR/passport photocopy request or whatever we want to call itnow. I'm just thinking since we haven't heard from them since two Wednesdays ago they won't want to end the week for a second time without finalizing one of our files. But maybe I'm just giving them too much credit. We'll see.
amaranth said:
Hah, yeah. My brother in law was in the Army, stationed at Ft. Meyer in DC. He was in the colour guard, essentially one of the legions of generic looking soldiers who do all the flag-bearing stuff, guarding the Tomb of the Unknown, funerals, parades, etc. (it's actually a pretty important job, and much harder than most people think!) Their dress blues are wool, and the coats are REALLY heavy. He said it got ridiculous in the summer, to the point where one soldier fainted while doing flag duty at some big speech. Poor guys punishment was to stand at attention in full dress in the middle of the training field with the 48lb. flag for 6 hours without breaks.

Okay, story time done. Landing story coming soon. I promise!

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Then they're really not going to like me because I called them on their BS in my cover letter that accompanied my CSQ copy (politely pointed out, of course ;D). Mail and fax both.
Yeah, I was very polite in my email as well, but as a friend pointed out to me the simple fact that I'm a woman and asserting a point probably caused her to label me as a b*tch anyway.

My husband says if we don't hear anything by next week he wants to go back and see the MP with our GCMS notes and email exchanges. I don't even know what they could do at this point, but I suppose having the MP pester Buffalo again couldn't hurt.

Once all of this is behind us I'm seriously contemplating writing something about it to the Montreal Gazette. I know they're really sympathetic to immigrants, and maybe they'd find the apparent (at least to me) lies, inefficiency, and forced inability to communicate with CIC interesting enough to do an article on it.

Until then, my fingers are crossed that Buffalo starts sending out "finalizations" to people again. Preferably starting with those of us who applied in February/March/April (or before) and are still waiting.

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Okay, here it is... landing story!

I picked up my visa in Buffalo on Nov. 10. Nothing new to add to what others have posted about that process.

I landed on Nov. 17. Husband snagged me and most of my stuff from my parent's place just outside Buffalo (convenient, no?) We got to the border around 7:30pm, and it was dead. In 8 years of crossing at least 3+ times a month at the Peace Bridge, I have never seen it that dead before 1 or 2 am. We got up to the interrogation booth, and Husband told the officer I was landing. He gave us the little yellow paper and sent up to the building.

There was nobody in the building besides the officers, and they all looked bored. The officer I got was fantastic. I really wish I could remember her badge number! We went up to the counter and handed her all my paperwork. (seriously, that counter is high. I'm 5'7, and it was just below shoulder height. I had to stand on tiptoe to sign the COPR!) As she was typing things into her computer, she frowned, and asked when we started our application. Thus began what shall henceforth be known as the FUBAR conversation (this is as verbatim as possible. I will never forget this conversation!)...

Officer: When exactly did you submit your application?
Me: December 17, 2010
Officer: Wow, really?
Me: Yeah.
Officer: And it took them this long to finalize? Were there any issues?
Husband: Nothing more than Buffalo's apparent ineptitude.
Officer: *heavy sigh* You know, Buffalo used to be the best run offices in the world. We got this new computer system early last year, supposed to make everything easier... Buffalo has totally gone down hill.
Me: Yup, I've heard all about the computer stuff!
Officer: Seriously, none of the other offices ANYWHERE have had as many issues as Buffalo. They just can't seem to wrap their heads around it. It's ridiculous. Completely, absolutely FUBAR.
*this is where Husband laughs to the point of hiccups*
*sharp glare from officer sitting nearby*
Officer: I'm glad you know what that means. I didn't want to have to explain it!

From that point, it was pretty much all the typical stuff, explaining SIN card and whatnot. Then "Congratulations, welcome to Canada", and we were directed to the customs counter. I handed the B4 to the officer, he looked it over (all I had on it were personal belongings... clothes and books and whatnot, with guesstimated value for each box)
Officer: This is all personal belongings? No car or anything?
Me: Nope, no car.
Officer: Then why did you fill this out?
Me: *slightly confused* I wasn't sure if I needed to?
Officer: You sure you have nothing else coming in later? No car?
Me: I don't have a car...
Officer: You sure? Nothing coming later?
Me: Absolutely sure. ::)
He stamped the back of my COPR with "NO GOODS TO FOLLOW" and we were on our way.

So, pretty painless process. We went to get my SIN the following week, and apply for OHIP. Haven't switched the driver's license yet, but that's next on the agenda.

Last night we celebrated the end of this bull$#!% at a Tea Party concert (my 20th show, haha... seriously, best Canadian band EVER.) Still recovering! ;D

The end. I'm going back to bed now :p

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Congrats amaranth! Love the FUBAR conversation. Definitely made me laugh. I wish they hadn't changed computer systems! Ugh! That helps explain why a woman I know who applied in 2009 had her PR from Buffalo pretty much 4 mths after she sent it in, and now no one seems to be getting processed that quickly through there.

Anyway, happy thoughts. Happy thoughts! It's Friday and so far still no snow on the ground here in Quebec. ;D

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
amaranth said:
There was nobody in the building besides the officers, and they all looked bored. The officer I got was fantastic. I really wish I could remember her badge number!
Check the COPR. The officer that processed my husband's paperwork had to write his number on the form.

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Kess said:
Check the COPR. The officer that processed my husband's paperwork had to write his number on the form.
No number. Just her signature, which is impossible to read. Oh well! :)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well God bless the honesty of Canadian border officers. It sounds like they really found it hard to believe you were car-less (do people not realize it's still possible to live without one or something?). Haven't heard of a Canadian band called The Tea Party but I just watched a clip and I do like the global beats. Glad you were able to celebrate and congrats again :)

amaranth said:
Okay, here it is... landing story!

I picked up my visa in Buffalo on Nov. 10. Nothing new to add to what others have posted about that process.

I landed on Nov. 17. Husband snagged me and most of my stuff from my parent's place just outside Buffalo (convenient, no?) We got to the border around 7:30pm, and it was dead. In 8 years of crossing at least 3+ times a month at the Peace Bridge, I have never seen it that dead before 1 or 2 am. We got up to the interrogation booth, and Husband told the officer I was landing. He gave us the little yellow paper and sent up to the building.

There was nobody in the building besides the officers, and they all looked bored. The officer I got was fantastic. I really wish I could remember her badge number! We went up to the counter and handed her all my paperwork. (seriously, that counter is high. I'm 5'7, and it was just below shoulder height. I had to stand on tiptoe to sign the COPR!) As she was typing things into her computer, she frowned, and asked when we started our application. Thus began what shall henceforth be known as the FUBAR conversation (this is as verbatim as possible. I will never forget this conversation!)...

Officer: When exactly did you submit your application?
Me: December 17, 2010
Officer: Wow, really?
Me: Yeah.
Officer: And it took them this long to finalize? Were there any issues?
Husband: Nothing more than Buffalo's apparent ineptitude.
Officer: *heavy sigh* You know, Buffalo used to be the best run offices in the world. We got this new computer system early last year, supposed to make everything easier... Buffalo has totally gone down hill.
Me: Yup, I've heard all about the computer stuff!
Officer: Seriously, none of the other offices ANYWHERE have had as many issues as Buffalo. They just can't seem to wrap their heads around it. It's ridiculous. Completely, absolutely FUBAR.
*this is where Husband laughs to the point of hiccups*
*sharp glare from officer sitting nearby*
Officer: I'm glad you know what that means. I didn't want to have to explain it!

From that point, it was pretty much all the typical stuff, explaining SIN card and whatnot. Then "Congratulations, welcome to Canada", and we were directed to the customs counter. I handed the B4 to the officer, he looked it over (all I had on it were personal belongings... clothes and books and whatnot, with guesstimated value for each box)
Officer: This is all personal belongings? No car or anything?
Me: Nope, no car.
Officer: Then why did you fill this out?
Me: *slightly confused* I wasn't sure if I needed to?
Officer: You sure you have nothing else coming in later? No car?
Me: I don't have a car...
Officer: You sure? Nothing coming later?
Me: Absolutely sure. ::)
He stamped the back of my COPR with "NO GOODS TO FOLLOW" and we were on our way.

So, pretty painless process. We went to get my SIN the following week, and apply for OHIP. Haven't switched the driver's license yet, but that's next on the agenda.

Last night we celebrated the end of this bull$#!% at a Tea Party concert (my 20th show, haha... seriously, best Canadian band EVER.) Still recovering! ;D

The end. I'm going back to bed now :p

janamay1967

Star Member
Mar 17, 2011
Houston Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2011
Nomination.....
18-04-2011
AOR Received.
28-04-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2011
The tracking number for our passports to be returned to us just activated this morning so I am believing they will show up on Monday!!! We will go to the border on Friday and try this Landing thing for ourselves! :eek: :-X I have to admit that I am terrified that something will go STUPID at the end.

I am having HUGE hassles with my car. My U.S. finance company is refusing to give me authorization to bring it to Canada so I am about ready to tell them they can just come and F**king pick it up in Calgary! I guess if I don't bring a car across the process might be easier. Has anyone else had to get rid of a financed vehicle before they landed???

I can't wait to have a GOOD story to tell!

Merry Christmas!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep, besides a few people who took just over 4 months in October, it has trended toward longer waits before PPR for this past month. The people who took a few months are looong into the past. But have you checked out this post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ppr-after-a-month-t89781.0.html? Apparently, there's an IO in Buenos Aires who got kinda bored at work (or perhaps I'm rushing to conclusions). This person REALLY skipped the line because BA takes 11 months and the PPR came after 1 - his or her file spent more time in Mississauga!
AmericaninQuebec said:
That helps explain why a woman I know who applied in 2009 had her PR from Buffalo pretty much 4 mths after she sent it in, and now no one seems to be getting processed that quickly through there.

jacobsdennis

Oct 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-03-2011
Interview........
07-12-2011
Passport Req..
07-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Congratulations, Amaranth on finally landing...!!! I'm hoping to have a similar "pain-free" story to tell this upcoming Wednesday following our interview in Buffalo at 10am! Whatever the outcome though, I will be sharing right after the interview!

jacobsdennis

Oct 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-03-2011
Interview........
07-12-2011
Passport Req..
07-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Question: My partner and I will be leaving Toronto on Tuesday morning drive down to Buffalo for our interview the following day and with the several options we have for locations to cross the US border, does anyone recommend a certain border crossing (i.e. less traffic, friendly officers on both sides)? I'm wondering this for both going down to Buffalo and coming back from Buffalo. Thanks, friends!

jacobsdennis

Oct 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-03-2011
Interview........
07-12-2011
Passport Req..
07-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
I thought someone in here quite a while back said they had an interview on this upcoming Wednesday as well. We talked about meeting up in Buffalo. Just wondering who you were that told me that on here!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It wasn't on this thread, but it was "MyMy." By the way, you can always check anyone's past posts by clicking on their profile and then selecting "Show the last posts of this person" under "Additional Information" at the bottom of the profile page.
jacobsdennis said:
I thought someone in here quite a while back said they had an interview on this upcoming Wednesday as well. We talked about meeting up in Buffalo. Just wondering who you were that told me that on here!

jacobsdennis

Oct 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-03-2011
Interview........
07-12-2011
Passport Req..
07-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Awesome. I didn't know that!!! Thanks man!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, so I just totally have to point something out given the "Buffalo has gone downhill since" comment. As you probably suspected, Buffalo is THE MOST BUSY VO by far.......it processed over 38,000 PR apps in 2010 (these are all streams, apparently). This is 30% more (unless I screwed up my math, haha) than the 2nd most busy VO, Manila, which gets applications finalized in fewer months, thank you very much (and something tells me it's NOT that they have more personnel stationed in Manila than in Buffalo). Here's the chart I downloaded from the Open Data site:

Mission 2010
All Points of Service* 244,638

Africa & Middle East 36,654

Abidjan 2,670
Abu Dhabi 1,337
Accra - RPC 2,915
Cairo 4,233
Damascus - RPC 12,010
Nairobi 5,108
Pretoria 1,340
Rabat 5,022
Tel Aviv 2,019