Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As said a plethora of times before, e-cas is not the ultimate source of info. So to answer your question, ideally, you'd know via AOR from Buffalo (comes via email). If you got sponsorship approval on October 24, your sponsor should have received an email or letter saying the same. That letter says which visa office the file is being forwarded to (you'll probably be dealing with Buffalo given that you were admitted to workin Canada for at least a year, but it's not absolutely guaranteed it'll stay there, as there have been cases where one VO has forwarded a file to another VO). It also includes your sponsor's Client ID and the visa file number.

veronica.law said:
I have a question, how do you know your file is transferred to Buffalo? I can't see it on e-cas.
cic received my app. on August10 and Sponsorship approved on October24.

What I can see on e-cas is Application received on the Permanent Residence Application Status is We received XXXXXXXXX's application for permanent residence on August 9, 2011.

Medical results have been received. ( SHOWS THE SAME DAY THAT THEY HAVE RECEIVED MY APP AT MISSISSAUGA)

Is that mean my file has been transferred to Buffalo?
P.S. i was using the new Barcode form IMM0008

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The faster you send in the RPRF payment, the faster you will land, period.
wally1961 said:
We are finally In Process as of Dec 12th. Should we send in the final payment or will they request it?

Gerry

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The spouse/sponsor questionnaire has lots of questions - you'll have to specify which question/s you're referring to.
mameelynn said:
Just a quick question about form IMM 5490. Are they asking for only blood relatives for my husband or do we put his in-laws (my father, sister, nieces and nephew)? Thanks!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, theoretically, although Buffalo seems to be following the exact same procedures for finalizing applications as before, despite the "new policy."

Thank you, thank you, as always, Bargeld (and you also enjoy your holidays with that new baby). I'm also cheering for it before Hannukah, Christmas, or even NYE. And you know what? I have a feeling that it might be a month more or even less for me....given the Initial Assessment they sent, the fact that I sent them what they were asking for, and the fact that they confirmed they got it. Looking at how things went along for a several other people on the spreadsheet who had IAs, they got PPR very shortly afterwards. I can only assume that those that didn't were not able to immediately supply Buffalo with documents. I hope what happens will be similar to cbennett's case. He got IA on Sept. 30th asking for a French police certificate, and thanks to the speed of French police checks, Buffalo had that cert at their office by October 12th. PPR came on November 7th, less than a month later. Sigh.........

Bargeld said:
Beautiful, one less bureaucratic hoop to jump through is always a good thing.

If I don't post again in the busy upcoming weeks to congratulate people on their PPR's, Merry Christmas as well! I'm still cheering for your PPR before Christmas, ddobro2. :)

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
That must also be new because when my wife received her sponsorship approval letter, it only had a Client ID number, and some sort of 'kit number' which I have no clue what it's really all about.

I tried to help, but I guess I should leave it to the experts. It seems that I'm a bit too involved in my life to keep up with what's new with CIC.

ddobro2 said:
The file numbers are now on the sponsorship approval letters themselves. Also, I don't suggest she proactively seek out police certificates for each state the PA lived in. Almost nobody going through Buffalo does this when they initially apply and while yes, it is totally at the IO's discretion, very very few are then sent a request to submit those. I doubt Buffalo would want to change its way of doing this given that it still seems to be very much struggling to clear backlogs.
I don't know. I could've sworn that the application I filled out said to get both the FBI and the state police clearances, and to send them with the app. Perhaps they mailed us an old app? I guess they don't even mail apps anymore, though they can now be done online?

AmericaninQuebec said:
I did not send in state clearances with my application, and they were never requested. I believe the instructions indicate that you have to send an FBI background check, and you may be requested for state background checks. I took a chance and sent mine with just the FBI clearance letter and it turned out fine.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep, same with me. This change seems to have happened sometime after we applied in May.
mjh49783aa said:
That must also be new because when my wife received her sponsorship approval letter, it only had a Client ID number, and some sort of 'kit number' which I have no clue what it's really all about.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Just received my visitor record extension today. I'm now good until September 19, 2012. One less thing to worry about. :)

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
ddobro2 said:
The faster you send in the RPRF payment, the faster you will land, period.
I second this! But as well as making the payments, make sure you send the receipt to Mississauga, and a copy of the receipt by mail or fax to Buffalo.

My application was delayed because we didn't pay the RPRF in a timely fashion.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
ddobro2 said:
The spouse/sponsor questionnaire has lots of questions - you'll have to specify which question/s you're referring to.
Sorry, Yeah I'm looking at question 8 where it asks "Do you have family members or other relatives (i.e. aunt, uncle, cousin, etc.) living in Canada?" and I'm wondering if this is only asking if he has blood relatives or if we would put my family(his in-laws)? Thanks!

Rouge

Star Member
Sep 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo ---> NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Passport Req..
19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-03-2012
Hi all,
I was wondering if I have to send a copy of the CSQ to the VO (Buffalo). I have CSQ and a letter that says "we (MICC) will forward the CSQ to Buffalo Visa Office" but I have seen a number of people on this forum having problems with this and they forward the CSQ themselves.

Thanks for advise!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep, that is a critical caveat to my overly-simplistic answer, thank you! So, I'll change that to: the faster you pay the RPRF, which is the landing fee, and *prove* that you paid it (via receipt) to both offices that dealt with your file, the faster you'll land.

mcmasters said:
I second this! But as well as making the payments, make sure you send the receipt to Mississauga, and a copy of the receipt by mail or fax to Buffalo.

My application was delayed because we didn't pay the RPRF in a timely fashion.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Rouge said:
Hi all,
I was wondering if I have to send a copy of the CSQ to the VO (Buffalo). I have CSQ and a letter that says "we (MICC) will forward the CSQ to Buffalo Visa Office" but I have seen a number of people on this forum having problems with this and they forward the CSQ themselves.

Thanks for advise!
You do not have to send a copy. They should get a copy directly from MICC. If you want to confirm that they have received a copy you could either try emailing them and hope they actually respond or you could request your GCMS notes, which will state the CSQ reference number, issuance date and when it is valid until (if it has been received by Buffalo). Then if you see that they haven't received it you can go through the effort of contacting them about it/forwarding a copy.

Rouge

Star Member
Sep 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo ---> NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Passport Req..
19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-03-2012
Thanks,
Is this their email address ?
General Enquiry: buffalo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haha, I don't know who you're referring to but I think I'm like the prime example atm. Send it to them and then ask your MP to confirm if you have to. Apparently CPCM does not forward CSQs to VOs when you send it to them (left hand, meet right hand), and I have no idea what goes down with MICC.
Rouge said:
Hi all,

Thanks for advise!

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
AmericaninQuebec said:
This time the woman at Derby Line told me that 1) I couldn't fax, but had to bring my title and 2 copies in person to kick of the 72 hrs, that 2) the 72 hrs are not business hours and even run during the weekend, and 3) I could take my car back to Canada (though obviously not as an import) while I waited for the 72 hrs to pass.

...I'll contact Derby Line again to confirm everything (since the requirements seem to change every time I call) and then go through the export/import process. That way if I have to leave Canada with my car for 72 hrs I could at least make plans to go visit friends for a long weekend down in Boston or something during January or February...

Thanks so much for your advice. :)
AmericaninQuebec,

You plan sounds like a good one. I guess the most consistent issue about official advice is its inconsistency.

There is a checklist that you can run through at http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx that I found helpful.

Take care,