Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A little over six months is currently the average based on spreadsheet data. It would take longer if there are any complications with the file.

g-man said:
Well finally going to get my outland app sent in today! Spent a lot of time compiling it, waiting for FBI clearance, Option C for spouse, etc. so hopefully I have enough evidence to not delay the process and/or need an interview!

What's the consensus on current average processing times for spousal? Hopefully no more than the 6-8 months that the site lists, because I'm tired of my career being on hold. :(

g-man

Star Member
May 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2011
AOR Received.
24-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-01-2012 (22-02-2012 Seattle)
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2012 (Canada Day!!)
ddobro2 said:
A little over six months is currently the average based on spreadsheet data. It would take longer if there are any complications with the file.
Thanks, I found your spreadsheet just after posting. I've been looking it over and trying to Google all the different acronyms and points along the trek to figure out what they mean to no avail. Is there a guide or definition list around here for these things (PPR, AOR, etc.)? I've been going through the US process for my Canadian wife so I can reasonably guess based on what I know about that process, but it's nice to know exactly what's going on!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, I think this link is helpful: http://immipedia.ca/Main_Page. The acronyms section should answer your questions. Also, if you see Leon posting anywhere on the forum, he always has a list of acronyms in his signature so it's always there to remind people.
g-man said:
Thanks, I found your spreadsheet just after posting. I've been looking it over and trying to Google all the different acronyms and points along the trek to figure out what they mean to no avail. Is there a guide or definition list around here for these things (PPR, AOR, etc.)? I've been going through the US process for my Canadian wife so I can reasonably guess based on what I know about that process, but it's nice to know exactly what's going on!

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I was told we COULD NOT use a prepaid card to pay the fees. Maybe we were informed wrong, or maybe something has changed since then (wouldn't be surprised. It feels like the CIC have changed the whole freaking process since we applied, starting with the computer switch fiasco!)

It seems people think I did something wrong by paying at a bank. I was only doing what the guides, website, and call centre told me to do. Nowhere did it say that paying all fees upfront at the bank would *potentially* cause delays too.

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
I paid at the bank, with no issues at all. I think the reason people were suggesting to the op that they not pay at the bank, was simply because they were not receiving the payment forms from CIC in a timely manner, and didn't want to wait for the bank forms.

I don't think there's an issue paying at the bank, so long as you have the forms and don't have to postpone applying because you're waiting for them :)

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
amaranth said:
I was told we COULD NOT use a prepaid card to pay the fees. Maybe we were informed wrong, or maybe something has changed since then (wouldn't be surprised. It feels like the CIC have changed the whole freaking process since we applied, starting with the computer switch fiasco!)

It seems people think I did something wrong by paying at a bank. I was only doing what the guides, website, and call centre told me to do. Nowhere did it say that paying all fees upfront at the bank would *potentially* cause delays too.
To me, it's pretty ludicrous that you'd run into delays because you paid at the bank. I did too and had no problems. Even ordering the forms to do so was fairly quick (received 3 business days after I ordered them). :S They do say that paying online by credit card is "preferred" but I assume that's only because they get their money faster and more directly.

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
francohoosier said:
To me, it's pretty ludicrous that you'd run into delays because you paid at the bank. I did too and had no problems. Even ordering the forms to do so was fairly quick (received 3 business days after I ordered them). :S They do say that paying online by credit card is "preferred" but I assume that's only because they get their money faster and more directly.
We received our forms the day after requesting them. That still blows my mind, considering this IS the CIC we're dealing with ::)

At the risk of repeating myself again (and receiving more hate mail today), I really don't understand why paying in full at the bank *might be* delaying my app. I know things can get muddled in the process, but unless the receipt was mysteriously *lost* somewhere along the way, I don't know why Buffalo is asking me to pay the RPRF when I already did... with all the other fees. Yet this seems to be the only sticking point between me and a shiny PPR email.

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
Hi g-man, congrats on getting your application sent! That must be a big weight off your shoulders. And feel blessed that you found this forum early on - I've been stumbling through the dark this whole time by myself. :p

I'm also a March applicant, and still waiting for my PPR. My meds are done and my interview was waived in August.

I might have experienced a hold-up because we didn't know to pay the RPRF ASAP - we just paid it last week. :( It seems like most people who were on the same time table as me are now ahead. So, if you didn't pay it already, I recommend doing that and mailing the receipt to both Mississauga and Buffalo.

Good luck! I totally know how you feel about the career thing, too. Definitely looking forward to moving to Toronto and finding a new, more awesome job.

g-man said:
Well finally going to get my outland app sent in today! Spent a lot of time compiling it, waiting for FBI clearance, Option C for spouse, etc. so hopefully I have enough evidence to not delay the process and/or need an interview!

What's the consensus on current average processing times for spousal? Hopefully no more than the 6-8 months that the site lists, because I'm tired of my career being on hold. :(

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
So here's my update:

The hubs and I had a talk this weekend and decided that, even if I haven't gotten my PPR yet, I'm going to move in with him officially on December 9th. I guess this is called "dual intent" (which I need to research!)?

Hopefully we'll get the PPR sooner than that, since everything else seems to be done and the RPRF receipts are in the mail or already received, but we agreed we are tired of waiting and it's a good time for me to make the transition. It's a good time for me to leave my job, and we have a solid 6 weeks to get my stuff slowly transferred across the border. And winter is coming.... dun dun dunnnn....

I'll keep my apartment to the end of the month, so I'll have the same U.S. address until January 1, 2012, but I guess after that I'll have to list my parents' address as my U.S. address?

I also wondered how this will affect my official "landing" when my visa fiiiiiinally arrives.

Any advice I can get about finishing out my wait in Canada would be reeeally helpful! It just feels so good to know there's an end in sight, even if it's not the full satisfaction of official PR status, it'll be soooo nice to get to live with him after 5 years of wanting to but not being able to. Siiiiigh.

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This, unfortunately, is what Canadians' tax dollars are paying for. I personally would like to see everyone who works at the Call Centre retrained, because my humble opinion is that you could get better advice on one of these forums than you can from people who represent the Canadian government vis a vis immigration.

You're not alone in having these SNAFUs happen. There have been several people who have applied who never received a sponsorship approval letter from Mississauga - not as problematic as having the freakin' visa office that issues your visa not recognize that you paid the landing fee, but still, pretty bad. So the fact that there have been others who went the bank option and didn't encounter the same kind of problems means that despite you doing everything you were asked to and you following CIC's own rules, someone somewhere messed up. I totally feel for you. Could happen to anyone. And no, you should not be blamed for choosing to use an alternate, less popular means of paying CIC. If they offer it as an option, and you do what they ask of you to send the money through that channel, then shame on them. I think if CIC expects us to follow directions to the nth level of specificity, they need to step up and do their part too.

And wow....sorry to hear you are getting hate mail. That's just uncalled for because you haven't had anything offensive to say....well not offensive to anyone who's not CIC anyway, and I know how we all love to harp on CIC.

amaranth said:
We received our forms the day after requesting them. That still blows my mind, considering this IS the CIC we're dealing with ::)

At the risk of repeating myself again (and receiving more hate mail), I really don't understand why paying in full at the bank *might be* delaying my app. I know things can get muddled in the process, but unless the receipt was mysteriously *lost* somewhere along the way, I don't know why Buffalo is asking me to pay the RPRF when I already did... with all the other fees. Yet this seems to be the only sticking point between me and a shiny PPR email.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
mcmasters said:
I'm also a March applicant, and still waiting for my PPR. My meds are done and my interview was waived in August.

I might have experienced a hold-up because we didn't know to pay the RPRF ASAP - we just paid it last week. :( It seems like most people who were on the same time table as me are now ahead. So, if you didn't pay it already, I recommend doing that and mailing the receipt to both Mississauga and Buffalo.
I'm also a March applicant, meds done and interview waived, but no word yet. We paid all of our fees upfront via credit card. Do you know if your background check with the RCMP is done? I just applied for my GCMS notes to be certain, but according to what they've told our local MPs office twice now that's what is holding up my application. Might be the same for you.

On a happier note, I think I saw a few people who applied in February mentioning that they got their PPR in the past few days. Maybe that means it's just a matter of a few weeks for us March applicants!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't necessarily need to have a U.S. address when you do outland family class sponsorship. While inlanders are obviously living in Canada, not all outlanders are living abroad during their application. Some people, like me, were living in Canada before even filing the PR application. So you can simply change the address to your husband's address in Canada where I'm assuming you'll be living once you move. I wouldn't use the online system to update address. Just contact Buffalo directly. Buffalo may or may not ignore the email though, maybe someone else with experience could attest to that. You could also fax them - I think it's (716) 852-2477 - or mail them to inform them of the change. When you get the PPR email, you'd just send your passport, pics, etc. to the Fort Erie, Ontario address rather than to Buffalo. There is no real difference apart from that.

mcmasters said:
So here's my update:

The hubs and I had a talk this weekend and decided that, even if I haven't gotten my PPR yet, I'm going to move in with him officially on December 9th. I guess this is called "dual intent" (which I need to research!)?

Hopefully we'll get the PPR sooner than that, since everything else seems to be done and the RPRF receipts are in the mail or already received, but we agreed we are tired of waiting and it's a good time for me to make the transition. It's a good time for me to leave my job, and we have a solid 6 weeks to get my stuff slowly transferred across the border. And winter is coming.... dun dun dunnnn....

I'll keep my apartment to the end of the month, so I'll have the same U.S. address until January 1, 2012, but I guess after that I'll have to list my parents' address as my U.S. address?

I also wondered how this will affect my official "landing" when my visa fiiiiiinally arrives.

Any advice I can get about finishing out my wait in Canada would be reeeally helpful! It just feels so good to know there's an end in sight, even if it's not the full satisfaction of official PR status, it'll be soooo nice to get to live with him after 5 years of wanting to but not being able to. Siiiiigh.

Mel_R

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
28.9.11... Transferred to LA 07.12.11
Med's Done....
Interview........
Wavied!!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
I just checked my status online and this is what it said.
We received your application to sponsor My hubby's name on September 28, 2011.

We started processing your application on October 19, 2011.

Does this mean they've ACTUALLY started processing it or they put it on a big pile to be processed? If they started it does anyone know how long it will take?

Thanks Mel

canuckofchicago

Jul 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2011
Doc's Request.
06-10-2011
AOR Received.
08-07-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Hello anyone,

Would my wife's PPR notification get delivered via email or snail mail? It has been in process since October 9th, 2011.

Thanks
Richard