+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thompson Rivers University (TRU)- MBA Reviews

manish11

Jun 9, 2015
Hello,

I have applied for TRU MBA program. Can anyone tell me hows the university and the program in terms of jobs, placements, internships, international exposure etc..?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
sir, I'm applying for next year. any advice would be helpful
Would select another university. Would not recommend TRU. Canadian employers will not view this as a valuable MBA. This is not a well known university in Canada did your consultant suggest it? Many do because they have low admission requirements and I suspect they receive a bonus per student. You can make up your own mind but would highly recommend you look into other options.

MiteshS94

Dec 29, 2018
Would select another university. Would not recommend TRU. Canadian employers will not view this as a valuable MBA. This is not a well known university in Canada did your consultant suggest it? Many do because they have low admission requirements and I suspect they receive a bonus per student. You can make up your own mind but would highly recommend you look into other options.
Canuck sir, you are absolutely right about this. Almost all the small agents and few reputed agents have tie-ups with not so good universities like RRU, UCW, VIU, TRU, NYIT, etc. They get good amount of commission from them. Some agents get more commission for x number of students sent every intake. Also, about RRU, they tell majority of their students to complete some pre-masters courses which costs $7000 minimum and agents get 20-30% commission from it too. I don't mean to dissuade you from applying anywhere, just do your research before applying

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck sir, you are absolutely right about this. Almost all the small agents and few reputed agents have tie-ups with not so good universities like RRU, UCW, VIU, TRU, NYIT, etc. They get good amount of commission from them. Some agents get more commission for x number of students sent every intake. Also, about RRU, they tell majority of their students to complete some pre-masters courses which costs $7000 minimum and agents get 20-30% commission from it too. I don't mean to dissuade you from applying anywhere, just do your research before applying
Unfortunately many international students think the consultant have their best interests in mind. Most Canadian students have never heard of these schools.

Dave121

Aug 6, 2019
Unfortunately many international students think the consultant have their best interests in mind. Most Canadian students have never heard of these schools.
Students are like money making machines for such agents. Usually, such students fall for the sweet words and promises made by such agents, and then they regret after landing there.

Reactions: canuck78

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Have been following similar post in this forum and it seems most of the people who respond seem to miss the fact that the person posing these questions are not entirely swayed by the agents and are making an effort to find the facts.
It is true that most agents do not have the students interest in mind and as such agents have to be avoided at all cost as the process of admission and securing a study permit is quite straightforward and simple.
What people here do not understand is that not everyone has the required academics and finance to go for an A listed Universities. While it is true that most Canadian students haven't heard about these Universities the fact is they don't have to bother because the fees charged by the top universities to domestic student is a pittance when compared to what the international students pay.
I wonder how many people who respond have made an effort to re educate themselves about the current standings of the institution that they say are worthless.
I am a recent VIU MBA graduate and am working full-time for a reputed financial firm in downtown Vancouver. This firm is very choosy about whom they hire and as such my qualifications have passed the litmus test.
So in the end it all boils down to individuals cost benefit ratio.

Reactions: Amy Paul

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have been following similar post in this forum and it seems most of the people who respond seem to miss the fact that the person posing these questions are not entirely swayed by the agents and are making an effort to find the facts.
It is true that most agents do not have the students interest in mind and as such agents have to be avoided at all cost as the process of admission and securing a study permit is quite straightforward and simple.
What people here do not understand is that not everyone has the required academics and finance to go for an A listed Universities. While it is true that most Canadian students haven't heard about these Universities the fact is they don't have to bother because the fees charged by the top universities to domestic student is a pittance when compared to what the international students pay.
I wonder how many people who respond have made an effort to re educate themselves about the current standings of the institution that they say are worthless.
I am a recent VIU MBA graduate and am working full-time for a reputed financial firm in downtown Vancouver. This firm is very choosy about whom they hire and as such my qualifications have passed the litmus test.
So in the end it all boils down to individuals cost benefit ratio.
I also bet that your hiring was likely based on your previous education and work experience. Many of these colleges and university that have an extremely high percentage of international students are not all inexpensive. Many are quite expensive when you could get a better quality teaching through a less expensive college. For example some people can avoid taking the GMAT in some of these school but if almost every other school requires a GMAT wouldn’t you wonder why this school is so much easier to get into. I don’t think all the people posting are checking on the schools quality or reputation. Many posts are trying to find out how long will it take to hear about admission and want to connect with other future students. If I have learned something from this forum is that there are people who have researched to death and others who have barely researched and relied on others. This is not limited to students. See lots of professionals that have done no research on whether it actually makes sense to immigrate.