+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

think i have got myself into a lot of trouble with immagration

pee wee

Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there alot of months back i went to canada for a 6 months holiyday to visit my girlfriend . .when i arrived in canada i was sent to the immagration officer and he asked me alot of questions and i answered them all truthley apart from one question . he asked me have i ever been in trouble with the police and i panict and said no witch was a big lie becuse i have 4 drunk and disorderley charges in witch i went to court and paid fines and i never done any jail time . i dont no why i panict i think it was becuse ive never been asked that question before and i didnt think it would ever be a problem to get into canada .i just wish i had of looked up on traveling to canada before i landed there . well the officer most of looked up on it inhis computer and found nothing and he give me my visit visa and stamped my passport on the date i had to leave and i went on my way and had my 6 great months in canada and returned back to ireland . now i no ive realy messed up on all off this as i looked up alot abot canada immagration .the thing is i want to return back to canada and maybe one day life there but i think what ive done may back fire on me and reck my dreams ..my last record was 6 years ago .does anybody no how i can maybe baload to enter canada as a visiter again and what paper work i need to do to tell canada immagration about my record and tell them abot the lie i told . does anybody out there no what my chances are and do u think i will be banned from canada .thank you so much for your time and again im sorry about my spelling my laptop keybourd is realy messed up at the minute .

E

emmagail

You will have to apply for criminal rehabilitation.

I do too, but I was not asked anything by Immigration entering.

pee wee

Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you emmagail . can you be honest with me and tell me do you think i stand a chance . i dont no anybody else that has every gone threw this before and ive looked all over the net and cant find anybody thats gone threw that reabilitation and were abble to enter canada and life . im gona give it my best shot . good luck to you

E

emmagail

read this to let you know.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp

Was it district court? It starts from the time you paid the fine, not the court sitting. At the very least you will need a clearance cert from the local Garda Station, and they send it to Thurles.
You will also need to get all the details from the court clerk and send it all.
Im no expert, but i think you will have to wait
this too.

http://www.defencelaw.com/penalty-violence.html

At least 5 years must have passed from the time you PAID the fine

pee wee

Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks emma . im from the north of ireland but i hold a irish passport but it was a brithish crown court i was dealt with in the north . ya i went to the local poilice barracks and i asked them for a print out of my record and i got it in the post 2day and it works out my last offence was 6 yrs ago and i paid my fine that day i was at court so im ok in that area . the cop told me i need to apply for another police record of the computer witch is the mean one that i send away with all my papers . i think im in for a long wait with all of this immagration stuff . i never thought it was gona be this hard but i do understand why canadian immagration has strict laws . thats the reason why its such a great country i realy hope i get the chance to life there . thanks for the help emma and i wish you all the best

E

emmagail

just make sure you get a NI/UK drivers licence before you come - you can swap it. Are you travelling on ROI or UK passport? Maybe using the other next time?? Would that work? I think NI people can carry both. If your applying outland, all going well you will be here this time next year.
I've been up north few times about 10 years ago for matches, great time once you know where to go, or not go!
Good luck wit h the application....

(from Co Limerick, not emma!)

pee wee

Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks . ya its true if ur from the north you have a choise of haveing a roi passport or a brithish passport . but i see myself as irish so i carry a irish passport . im applying outland . my canadian girlfriend is in ireland with me at the minute shes sticking with me till i get this sorted . . limerick is a beatiful place and sorry for calling you emma lol i hope all goes well with you

Feb 22, 2011
Criminal convictions need not be a problem - only if you are an American as the Canadians and Americans share information.

Canadians have no direct access to british criminal records.

Before I went this year to canada I thought it had all been tightened up as I have a record from 2002 from Britain but all the talk of applying for rehabilitation etc is for American citizens. It's crazy as the Canadians will still consdier your conviction even if it is consdiered 'spent' under the Briitish system.

If you plan to live there in the future that may be different.
If your record was in a British court but you have an Irish passport, could you get a criminal record history showing no convictions from the Irish Republic?

Just out of interest, what airport did you fly into in Canada? Toronto and Vancouver have a reputation as I know to my cost just last week.

E

emmagail

I have 2 convictions, 1999, 2000, i wasn't asked anything entering at Toronto. I'm in deep shit too though because i never knew that a DUI is classed as criminal conviction here.

Feb 22, 2011
If you're visiting you might be asked the general question but there is no instant way of verifying non-USA records so you are ok.

If you're moving there permanently, then the process of rehabilitation will be necessary

I don't think they will have a record of you denying it on previous visits as they do not keep a log of all the questions they ask you so you could claim you were never asked.

pee wee

Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hey there it was ottawa intr airport that i flew into and i was in the costoms room for over 3 hours . i was asked alot about my work history and did i have work back in ireland for when i go back home and they asked have i ever been involved in any of the troubles back home in ireland . i was very honest with them and at the end of all the questions the costoms guy turned out to be a nice guy. i do plan on liveing in canada for good so im going threw all the rehabilation program and its alot of work as they wont to no everything about my past and my employment history and everywere i have ever lifed and ect .im gona be completely honest in my forms for rehabiliation and i just have to hope for the best . i just wounder how long it will all take until i no i candad enter canada again and not run into anymore trouble

Feb 22, 2011
They asked you about involvement in the Irish troubles? Jeez...

Do you have red hair and carry a pig under your arm?
Is that what they call stereotypical profiling.....

at least you got through unlike myself....good luck with the rehabilitation

pee wee

Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks . ya they asked me alot lol will you ever try to go back to canada or has you beening turned away put you from ever going back to canada . i hope thing turn out good for you

Feb 22, 2011
Good question: the experience is still a bit 'raw'.

I've been snowmobiling there a few times, almost always in new brunswick via Halifax 1998, 2000. 2001. 2003, 2008
and Yukon 2004.

I think I was just not expecting anything. Got more questions at the immigration post than normal: usually it's where are you headed, how long, hotel and doing what? The young smarta** then asked me if I was emeting up with anyone....and then the questions flowed then the secondary screening.

I like snowmobiling in Canada as the tracks are well-kept and so extensive. Mind you it's always a case of two days travelling there, three days' snowmobiling, then two days' travelling back. Plan B this year will be to try the Zakopane Mountains in Poland. Less extensive and less expensive to get to, but nearer where I work in Europe, shorter travelling and just a quick Schengen-area flash of the passport (about the only good thing the EU is good for).

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irishsnowmobiler said:
They asked you about involvement in the Irish troubles? Jeez...
I was, the hotel I was staying was blown up while I was out at a client meeting.
It took me four days before I could get my clothing back.

I guess that they don't mean involved in that way ;D ;D