+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017
Dear @legalfalcon

Your efforts to answer every single question are simply appreciable. Whilst not everybody might say a thanks, but we all have a gratitude and respect for you in our hearts.

I am apparently not here just to complement, but also to ask two technical questions :). So, here I go -

1.) Does the reception of an invitation letter to use pre-arrival services mean that R10 checks have been done and the eligibility assessment is positive?

2.) On the IVR facility (on checking the case updates on phone), it says that "the review of you background check has not started yet". Does this mean a background check report has already been submitted by CSIS but is pending a review at IRCC?

Have a great time!

rivertosouth

Star Member
May 21, 2018
CSIS releases its reports via regular post (Canada Post). Lately due to the strike of Canada post there have been delays across the country. However, two days ago a new legislation forcing Canada Post workers to get back to work was passed by the Parliament and things are now getting back to normal. By the end of this week, things should be smooth again.
Thanks for your reply! Hope I can receive mine soon.

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hello, I was wondering what is actually done for security check - what specific data points from the PR application get examined, and by who? For example:

1) if we report time spent in a certain country in personal history of Schedule A for only a few weeks, is the security check confined to that particular time period? Or is it in-depth for any activities or associations a person may have for that entire country, regardless of time period?

2) Do they pull your full travel records via your passport, compare them to your personal history and address history in Schedule A, and ensure they all line up? What if you've had some travel that isn't reported in the personal history, i.e. visits, vacations, etc? Or are the periods reported in personal and address history taken at face value and used to feed into the database searches?

Thanks for any info - we've applied for my wife's PR inland, I am a Canadian citizen.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello, I was wondering what is actually done for security check - what specific data points from the PR application get examined, and by who? For example:

1) if we report time spent in a certain country in personal history of Schedule A for only a few weeks, is the security check confined to that particular time period? Or is it in-depth for any activities or associations a person may have for that entire country, regardless of time period?

2) Do they pull your full travel records via your passport, compare them to your personal history and address history in Schedule A, and ensure they all line up? What if you've had some travel that isn't reported in the personal history, i.e. visits, vacations, etc? Or are the periods reported in personal and address history taken at face value and used to feed into the database searches?

Thanks for any info - we've applied for my wife's PR inland, I am a Canadian citizen.
The intelligence work and searches don't work this way. Over the last few years everything is pretty much computerized. Canadian intelligence has their own data bases which they share with other countries. An applicant's name and details are run through the system. If there have been records, prior flags, or anything alarming about that applicant, country, etc. it will be flagged and then it is sent for through search.

If nothing comes up, it is cleared.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Dear @legalfalcon

Your efforts to answer every single question are simply appreciable. Whilst not everybody might say a thanks, but we all have a gratitude and respect for you in our hearts.

I am apparently not here just to complement, but also to ask two technical questions :). So, here I go -

1.) Does the reception of an invitation letter to use pre-arrival services mean that R10 checks have been done and the eligibility assessment is positive?

2.) On the IVR facility (on checking the case updates on phone), it says that "the review of you background check has not started yet". Does this mean a background check report has already been submitted by CSIS but is pending a review at IRCC?

Have a great time!
Thanks for your kind words.

1. No. However, the timing when it arrives most applicants have R10 and eligibility cleared. So there is an assumption that it may indicate that R10 and eligibility is passed. The only conclusive way is through GCMS notes.

2. The IVR is the repetition of MyCIC status and nothing more. Further, IRCC does not disclose the agencies to which it sends the file to, or the agencies who may be involved in security checks. We know that CSIS is because of the act and CBSA because of its mandate and the procedural things listed.

But to check the stage of an application processing, GCMS is the way to go, and go for security screening, CBSA / CSIS notes.

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
The intelligence work and searches don't work this way. Over the last few years everything is pretty much computerized. Canadian intelligence has their own data bases which they share with other countries. An applicant's name and details are run through the system. If there have been records, prior flags, or anything alarming about that applicant, country, etc. it will be flagged and then it is sent for through search.

If nothing comes up, it is cleared.
Thanks, this is helpful. So I assume then whatever countries are declared for personal travel and address history in Schedule A automatically get included in this search? Or what is the connection between personal history and address history from Schedule A and security check? The reason I ask is we weren't sure if we needed to include all travel my wife has ever undertaken in Personal History and Address History, and are worried now that this could be considered misrepresentation when they do the security check. It wasn't clear to us if short trips, trips to visit people but not moving somewhere, etc had to be included.

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks for your kind words.

1. No. However, the timing when it arrives most applicants have R10 and eligibility cleared. So there is an assumption that it may indicate that R10 and eligibility is passed. The only conclusive way is through GCMS notes.

2. The IVR is the repetition of MyCIC status and nothing more. Further, IRCC does not disclose the agencies to which it sends the file to, or the agencies who may be involved in security checks. We know that CSIS is because of the act and CBSA because of its mandate and the procedural things listed.

But to check the stage of an application processing, GCMS is the way to go, and go for security screening, CBSA / CSIS notes.
Thank you, @legalfalcon.

There must be some criteria based on which they might send a pre-arrival invitation, like if a candidate passes some certain benchmark. Any idea about that?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks, this is helpful. So I assume then whatever countries are declared for personal travel and address history in Schedule A automatically get included in this search? Or what is the connection between personal history and address history from Schedule A and security check? The reason I ask is we weren't sure if we needed to include all travel my wife has ever undertaken in Personal History and Address History, and are worried now that this could be considered misrepresentation when they do the security check. It wasn't clear to us if short trips, trips to visit people but not moving somewhere, etc had to be included.
No one knows how the BGC is done. But based on available data, these things do make a difference, and the database analyzes based on such travels.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you, @legalfalcon.

There must be some criteria based on which they might send a pre-arrival invitation, like if a candidate passes some certain benchmark. Any idea about that?
Usually it is sent when eligibility is started or met.

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
No one knows how the BGC is done. But based on available data, these things do make a difference, and the database analyzes based on such travels.
Thanks this is helpful. I think we will wait for AOR then raise a CSE and submit a revised Schedule A just to be cautious. I'd rather bring this up before BGC is initiated or IRCC questions this.

St@k

Dec 12, 2017
Hello legalfalcon,

I got remedical request from cic. How long does it take for ppr after medical is passed second time. I had been in SS for 9months

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
@legalfalcon: sorry I forgot to ask: in your experience is IRCC open to receiving amended documents via web form that applicants submit, if they feel there is an error? I'm wondering if IRCC will consider a revised Schedule A if we submit it right after we get AOR, or if they only consider additional documents when they request they be resubmitted? Thanks again for all your guidance on this.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon: sorry I forgot to ask: in your experience is IRCC open to receiving amended documents via web form that applicants submit, if they feel there is an error? I'm wondering if IRCC will consider a revised Schedule A if we submit it right after we get AOR, or if they only consider additional documents when they request they be resubmitted? Thanks again for all your guidance on this.
For most documents revised replacement documents with explanation as to why you are sending them are acceptable. However, it depends on the VO. But something like SCH A where you may have missed some info, you can sure send a new one to replace the pervious one.