+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The 2 out of every 5 Years Rule

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hello,

Just wanting to clarify my understanding of how the Permanent Residency status works. Please correct me if I am wrong but once you get your PR Status card it is good for 5 years. When you want to renew the card it can only be renewed if you have been in Canada for 2 years out of those 5 years (the 2 years does not need to be continuous)

For example, If I activate my PR status today, I could go live in the UK tomorrow for 3 years, come back for the last 2, and at the end of the 5 years I am eligible to renew my PR card.

Alternatively, I can activate my PR card today, work in Canada for 1 year, go back to the UK the following year, then come back to Canada the year after that and stay until it is time to renew.

Is my understanding correct on how this all works? Just as long as you have been residing in Canada for 2 years then it's fine to renew?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PDJ

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The initial 5 years starts from the day you land not the date your PR card is issued which will always be later by 4-6 weeks approx than landing date and therefore expire the same time after the initial 5 years.

Your scenarios as described are fine although best not to stay away for the full 3 years else could possibly get some scrutiny on your return. Also then you would need to stay for 2 years straight without leaving at all before you could meet the RO and renew your PR card.

As you have asserted you need to accumulate 2 years in 5 years in any combination so your second scenario is also fine. Keep in mind You must have a PR card to return to Canada or a PRTD and can only renew whilst in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
It's a "rolling" 5 year period. At any point in time, CIC should be able to look back 5 years and out of those, 2 should be cumulatively spent physically in Canada. The only exception is your first 5 years after landing when you can stay outside for almost 3 years and then spend the next two in Canada, thus maintaining your PR. Although it's never advisable to cut it as close as 3 years as you have no margin for contingencies.

Also, PR card is different than a PR status. You can land in Canada and live there forever without a PR card, or your PR card can expire and you'll still be in PR status in Canada. You may need the card for verification of your PR status, for returning to Canada, and other administrative stuff though.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Remember that you may be required to do business travel, you may have a family emergency out of Canada or you may want to go on vacation so you shouldn't stay out of Canada for 3 years. We see tons of people on this forum wait until the last minute to move and then they have a serious illness in the family (or other issue). Then they try and say that they couldn't meet their RO due to a family illness. Their H&C application is often denied because they made the choice not come to Canada at the beginning of the 5 year period.