+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TFW from Visa-exempt country - Taking spouse and child

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
Hello,

I´m writing this message upon request of a family member.

He is Portuguese, therefore Visa-exempt. He has been living in Madeira for over 5 years, so no medical examination is required.

An employer with a transportation/trucking business in the province of Alberta offered a job to my family member. It is a semi-skilled occupation covered by a AINP pilot program - Semi-skilled worker category/stream. My family member expects to receive the LMO and 2 yr.work contract within the next few days. He will buy the Work Permit at the Port of Entry.

What other documents must he present to CIC and CBSA officials besides the Police Record Check?

He wants to take his spouse and 4 yr. old child with him. Can his spouse obtain an Open Work Permit upon landing? Or must he first apply for PR or await a reply with regard to his application? I know his application for PR is employer-driven.

In any case, he wants his spouse and child to accompany him. If not immediately, 2 or 3 months following his arrival.

Can he sponsor them in any other way? He is willing to provide a written statement claiming full responsibility for covering all costs incurred by his spouse and child - food, accomodation, health, daycare, etc, while he remains in Canada.

I would greatly appreciate contributions ASAP since he may have to leave to Canada on very short notice.

Thank you all so much for your time an attention.