+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Test Completed But BACKGROUND CHECK in progress.

JEDI-007

Star Member
May 30, 2012
I am in a similar situation. FP received by IRCC 1 month ago, background still in progress and this got me concerned. Everything else in progress except citizenship test completed and oath not started. I am a June/2023 applicant. I am just wondering what could cause this type of situation. Just want to get more insights from you guys if you would like to provide some information like I provide for myself below:

1. Travel history: no extensive travel. Just one trip outside canada during my eligibility period.
2. Immigration status: I came to Canada as a PR directly. No other status in canada before that.
3. Employment history: I have been working full time since I arrived in canada. One of the largest companies in my field of work. Easily verifiable if it comes to that.
4. Other information. I moved 4 different cities due to my onsite work assignments during my eligibility period and have many different addresses. ( I wonder if this caused longer background verification time). I had to provide about 11 different addresses.
Hi @Graykoala Have you got your citizenship?

JEDI-007

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Hi Guys , I have just received notes from CBSA. It shows that my security clearence due date was in dec, 2022 and the status updated in Feb,2023 and it still in progress . do you know how long does it take? actually I cannot understand any thing.
Hi, Have you got your citizenship?

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Just an update :D Yesterday I received the fingerprint request and today my Language Skills and Physical Presence statuses changed to COMPLETED. That Ghost update did mean something ;)
Have they updated fingerprints in your tracker. What’s the timeline between Submission and Updating on tracker.

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
Hey guys,

What is the average time of background completion these days? Still 11 months?
It has been 9 months of absolute silence for me since I completed the test last July. I am starting to worry considering that my application is 'routine' based on their descriptions. Are they even doing anything? :confused:

unsure dream

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Hey guys,

It has been 9 months of absolute silence for me since I completed the test last July. I am starting to worry considering that my application is 'routine' based on their descriptions. Are they even doing anything? :confused:
People are saying that security is taking 13 months now

• Sad
Reactions: ta123

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
Hey guys,

Your timeline looks remarkably similar to mine, just shifting a few months since the start. My BG was idle for about a year until I did a ATIP on CSIS, then almost right after I submitted the ATIP request, CSIS completed their task and BG was completed. It may look like a coincidence, but doesn't hurt to try that if you haven't already.

Another thing happened recently was I received IRCC GCMS notes I requested about a month ago, and oddly my secondary office changed from 8090 Sydney to 3193 Domestic RO. I don't know if you have requested for GCMS lately or not, but I am curious to see if your secondary office has changed as well. On the 8090 thread another person indicated their secondary office changed to 3193 as well. I hope this isn't IRCC's way of playing games with names and just changing all 8090 into 3193 to clean slate.

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
Your timeline looks remarkably similar to mine, just shifting a few months since the start. My BG was idle for about a year until I did a ATIP on CSIS, then almost right after I submitted the ATIP request, CSIS completed their task and BG was completed. It may look like a coincidence, but doesn't hurt to try that if you haven't already.

Another thing happened recently was I received IRCC GCMS notes I requested about a month ago, and oddly my secondary office changed from 8090 Sydney to 3193 Domestic RO. I don't know if you have requested for GCMS lately or not, but I am curious to see if your secondary office has changed as well. On the 8090 thread another person indicated their secondary office changed to 3193 as well. I hope this isn't IRCC's way of playing games with names and just changing all 8090 into 3193 to clean slate.
Oh interesting!
I did order ATIP on CSIS months ago. They sent me a letter which basically said 'Yes, your security clearance is still in progress but we can't provide details due to security measures until it is completed.' I have ordered GCMS twice (the last one being a few months ago again) and there was no change. But I will do so again now. It doesn't hurt!
The IRCC is so chaotic. It worries me if all departments in the government are this inefficient. Such a shame.

Reactions: unsure dream

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
Logging in day after day and not seeing an update for months on end is really exhausting. They should pay me for emotional damages :D Any updates from you guys?
Anyways, I ordered another GCMS notes. I will update you once I receive it in a few weeks or so ...

holyspectral

Dec 10, 2019
Any updates from you guys?
BG passed a few weeks ago. The total wait time from AoR is around 13.5 month for me.

I applied GCMS notes from both CBSA and CSIS in the 8th or 9th month, but the result generally just says the background check is still ongoing and provides no useful information.

I think I read it in this forum that the most frequent issue in citizenship application is the physical presence, not the background check. I would say don’t worry about background check. It just needs some time (13-14 months now) for them to finish what they have to do.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
BG passed a few weeks ago. The total wait time from AoR is around 13.5 month for me.

I applied GCMS notes from both CBSA and CSIS in the 8th or 9th month, but the result generally just says the background check is still ongoing and provides no useful information.

I think I read it in this forum that the most frequent issue in citizenship application is the physical presence, not the background check. I would say don’t worry about background check. It just needs some time (13-14 months now) for them to finish what they have to do.
I think most people had their BG done either in the first 3 months of AOR or it doesn't get done until a year in like yourself and my file. You are correct about the LPP being more of an issue for most people, but a lot of the more recent applications got everything done within 4-6 months, so who knows really.