+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Working Visa and Federal Skilled Application

Jul 25, 2014
Hi, just wanted to know if it is possible to apply for a Permanent Residency thru ederal Skilled Application while
I am waiting for my temporary working visa? would there any conflict? My contract is 2 years and I am worried that when
my temporary visa expires, my family(wife-open permit, children - student visa) and I will be force to leave Canada. Appreciate
advise. My employer had provided a consultant law firm to take care of our visa processing. Thanks..to all.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, Yes - it is possible. It is covered under dual-intent.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

However, this concern is different:
My contract is 2 years and I am worried that when my temporary visa expires, my family(wife-open permit, children - student visa) and I will be force to leave Canada.
If your work permit expires and no extension is done before the expiry, then you fall out out status and will have to leave the country. If all of your family members have their expiry dates the same with your WP expiry date, and no extension is done, then they too will lose status and need to leave the country.

However, if during that 2-year period, if you filed a PR application, and have received confirmation of your eligibility, then you become eligible for an open work permit ("bridging open work permit") that will allow you to keep worker status after the expiry of the initial work permit. Details are here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp
Note it is important you get that confirmation of eligibility before the initial work permit expires, so you can apply to keep your worker status while waiting for the PR application to be completed.

../atb

Jul 25, 2014
Would there be any conflict with the current temporary work permit application? Maybe
because of this, they will not issue our work permit.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtualboy2013 said:
Would there be any conflict with the current temporary work permit application? Maybe
because of this, they will not issue our work permit.
No - they are separate applications (one is for temporary residence/worker status and the other is for permanent residency). The WP application will be evaluated on it own merits as is the PR application.

.../atb

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
The only concern would be that the most common denial reason for temporary work permits is that you don't convince them you'll return to your home country after the permit expires, which might be hard to convince them about while having a PR application in process...

skepar

Star Member
Apr 8, 2013
Macedonia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would suggest you to first apply for TFW and once you are in Canada apply for FSW since a parallel application might mess up your prove that you will leave Canada after TFW visa is over!
This is one of the main reasons during visa approval.

skepar

Star Member
Apr 8, 2013
Macedonia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
onsjmd said:
What would be better FSW or PNP? Which is faster? once someone is in Canada as TFW
I guess FSW will be faster since PNP is a two step procedure... First you have to obtain nomination around 6-9 months and after that around 1 year to obtain the PR... A friend of mine was going that way because he was not eligible to apply under FSW. I would personally go through FSW! But if my TFW is about to end soon I might chose PNP first (so I can extend my TFW without requiring new LMO)(if you are PNP you can extend WP without LMO which is huge thing nowadays!!) and once I have extended the TFW i will file application for PR...

Maybe anyone else more senior will give you better opinion?