temporary Worker Tax return

antistar10

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good Day,

I have a question concerning about the Withholdings that we (temporary workers) just like the regular workers, pay every month. Do we get any refund when our contracts end and we need to leave the country.
In my case I am here on a 1 year work permit which is set to expire two months from now. I heard we can get one of the taxes back just not sure which one exactly ?

CPP - Employee -839.62$
EI - Employee -349.25$
Federal Income Tax -2,642.91$

Thank you,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

antistar10 said:
Good Day,

I have a question concerning about the Withholdings that we (temporary workers) just like the regular workers, pay every month. Do we get any refund when our contracts end and we need to leave the country.
In my case I am here on a 1 year work permit which is set to expire two months from now. I heard we can get one of the taxes back just not sure which one exactly ?

CPP - Employee -839.62$
EI - Employee -349.25$
Federal Income Tax -2,642.91$

Thank you,
1. If you worked in 2014 you should have filed Income Tax to CRA before April 30th 2015. Your employer should have given you a T4 which shows your earnings and deductions.
2. If you leave in 2 months, ensure that the employer has you address to forward your T4 for 2015 in Feb/16, as you will have to file an Income Tax for 2015.
3. You will only know if you are entitled to a refund once you have completed your Income Tax return.

juliabear

Oct 7, 2013
I was in that position too and was able to get some money back after filing my tax return. As long as you have a T4 for the previous year. You can go online and its free to file, there are various companies out there (see here for a list http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/crtfdsftwr/menu-eng.html - desktop/online/mobile products).
If you don't want to do it yourself you can use HR block, they have many offices around but they charge a fee.
Just make sure you provide an address where you know you can get your mail, even if it is outside of Canada as that is where they will send you the cheque.