+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary work permit for spouse

ak172

Feb 15, 2013
Hi folks,

I am about to get married to an Indian guy on an open work permit in Canada. His post graduate work permit will expire in second week of August 2013. He has got his PNP nomination from Ontario govt. and they say that they will issue a support letter for him to enable him to extend his work permit. This extended work permit will be an open work permit for 18 months from the date of issue. His PNP nomination will expire in last week of May 2013. We have two options:

1. We get court marriage done in April 2013 and then he would apply for PR for both of us together.
2. For now, he applies for his PR alone and then we get married in traditional way in November 2013 and then he would add my name to the application.

We prefer second option.

My questions are:

1. Will I be able to come to Canada on the basis of his extended work permit in both the cases or not?
2. If there is any issue with me not being able to come to Canada on open work permit immediately after marriage in November, what is possible solution for the same?

Thanks a lot in advance!

mysteryocean

Jun 20, 2010
swift current SK Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
no request!!
Nomination.....
01-08-11
AOR Received.
CIO 16-03-12 NDVO 03-04-12
Med's Request
23 July 2012
Med's Done....
30 July 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
23 July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
31 Jan 2013
LANDED..........
Already in canada
congratulation for getting married!!.

Best option for you to get married in court and apply together. i am suggesting this because his file will be forwarded to ottawa office and they issue medicals in a month. so if you apply in may, by the end of june you'll receive your medicals. if you get married in nov and he add you in his application. then CIC will issue your medicals and once you complete your medical, your background and criminal recoed check will start. it will make your application delay significantly.

you can as a dependent with your husband having work permit. ( but if he is on PGWP, you can't). If his work permit is on Ontatio PNP, then sure you can get open work permit.

i hope it will help you!!

ak172

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for reply.

If we get married in Nov, although the process will delay (with which we are fine), will i be able to come to Canada on work permit (on his extended work permit) until i get the PR?

mysteryocean

Jun 20, 2010
swift current SK Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
no request!!
Nomination.....
01-08-11
AOR Received.
CIO 16-03-12 NDVO 03-04-12
Med's Request
23 July 2012
Med's Done....
30 July 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
23 July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
31 Jan 2013
LANDED..........
Already in canada
sure you can!. but keep in mind, if you apply for work permit, you will have to do medical for work permit and your passport will be stuck with embassy for 1.5 to 2 month and if something goes wrong, could be longer. meantime, you might get medicals for PR as well. now its upto CIC, they may or may not consider your work permit medicals for PR medicals.

You will also need marriage certificate and your police clearance certificate ( for police clearance certificate, you need to submit your passport as well).So even if you're married in november, i dont see you can apply for work permit till January. ( means you won't get a work permit before march). I am not suggesting what you should do, its upto you. I am only explaining you the situation. its upto you how to prioritize your tasks. coz you have only one passport and you may need it for several reasons in very short period of time.