+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary vehicle import use questions

KVM_BC

Jul 11, 2017
My husband and I are coming to BC as temporary residents (study permit and work permit). We will be bringing a vehicle as a temporary import (exempt from tax/duty and RIV inspection), though we will register it in BC and get Canadian insurance because our US insurance will not cover us during residency abroad. My question is: if the vehicle is titled and registered under my name (study permit), can my husband drive it (work permit)? The Transport Canada website says one of the conditions of temporary import is that "You alone may use the vehicle." When I emailed TC with this question, they replied with:

"Under Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country. Persons entering under a work permit or student visa will be considered as visitors for the application of this section of the Act."

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not this answers my concern?

KVM_BC

Jul 11, 2017
Update: spoke with both ICBC and CBSA, and the consensus is that since my husband is also a temporary resident, as long as he is licensed in BC, he can drive my vehicle.