14-11-2012
Med's Done....
19-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-2-2013
LANDED..........
25-03-2013
Hi,

I got my temporary resident visa with my passport expiry date of December 2013, since this will be expired this year I decided to renew it to avoid the hassle of renewing it in Toronto or Vancouver (I will be working in Saskatchewan). My question now is at the port of entry, do I need to show both passports, the old one with the valid trv and also the newly issued passport? Will there be any problem with that? How about with Cathay Pacific here at NAIA?

Any members who also encountered this situation please share your experiences. Thanks.

ronranger

Mar 3, 2013
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-12-2012
Med's Request
14-02-2013
Med's Done....
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04/09/2013
nairenew nyo po ba yung passport nyo?
kasi pag ni-renew nyo yan at andun sa old passport yung visa nyo.null and void na yung old passport nyo.baka bumalik po kayo ulit sa step 1 ng pag-aapply ng visa.magtanong muna kayo sa DFA or other concerned agencies before nyo pare new passport nyo.

migwelder

Star Member
Oct 22, 2008
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2011
Doc's Request.
01-06-2012
Nomination.....
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
14-11-2012
Med's Request
14-11-2012
Med's Done....
19-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-2-2013
LANDED..........
25-03-2013
ronranger said:
nairenew nyo po ba yung passport nyo?
kasi pag ni-renew nyo yan at andun sa old passport yung visa nyo.null and void na yung old passport nyo.baka bumalik po kayo ulit sa step 1 ng pag-aapply ng visa.magtanong muna kayo sa DFA or other concerned agencies before nyo pare new passport nyo.
Already got my new passport and POEA issued the OEC after I showed them the two passports.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
migwelder said:
Hi,

I got my temporary resident visa with my passport expiry date of December 2013, since this will be expired this year I decided to renew it to avoid the hassle of renewing it in Toronto or Vancouver (I will be working in Saskatchewan). My question now is at the port of entry, do I need to show both passports, the old one with the valid trv and also the newly issued passport? Will there be any problem with that? How about with Cathay Pacific here at NAIA?

Any members who also encountered this situation please share your experiences. Thanks.
Visa validity is not tied to expiry of your passport - your Visa has the expiry dates stated. Even if the passport where the issued visa has expired, your TRV is still valid up to its expiry date.

You just need to present the two passports at POE as typically CBSA/Immigration will not issue a WP duration that exceeds the validity of your Travel document/passport. For example if your contract is 2 years and your passport expires in a year, likely you will be issued a WP with a duration of 1 year (not exceeding your passport validity).

At check-in at NAIA you will need to present your valid visa (on your old passport) and a valid travel document (your new passport) - airline personnel checks if you have a valid visa to your destination. At the Immigration exit in NAIA, you will also need to present your visa and your valid passport.

Had the same - I obtained a TRV on my old passport then renewed my passport. On arrival in immigration, I showed them my TRV (on the old passport) and my new passport as I explained my passport was recently renewed.

/Good luck...

migwelder

Star Member
Oct 22, 2008
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2011
Doc's Request.
01-06-2012
Nomination.....
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
14-11-2012
Med's Request
14-11-2012
Med's Done....
19-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-2-2013
LANDED..........
25-03-2013
ragluf said:
Visa validity is not tied to expiry of your passport - your Visa has the expiry dates stated. Even if the passport where the issued visa has expired, your TRV is still valid up to its expiry date.

You just need to present the two passports at POE as typically CBSA/Immigration will not issue a WP duration that exceeds the validity of your Travel document/passport. For example if your contract is 2 years and your passport expires in a year, likely you will be issued a WP with a duration of 1 year (not exceeding your passport validity).

At check-in at NAIA you will need to present your valid visa (on your old passport) and a valid travel document (your new passport) - airline personnel checks if you have a valid visa to your destination. At the Immigration exit in NAIA, you will also need to present your visa and your valid passport.

Had the same - I obtained a TRV on my old passport then renewed my passport. On arrival in immigration, I showed them my TRV (on the old passport) and my new passport as I explained my passport was recently renewed.

/Good luck...
This make sense, work permit issued will only last until December 2013 since that's the passport expiration. Thnanks ragluf, I'm a bit worried on this case since I'll be departing Monday.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
migwelder said:
This make sense, work permit issued will only last until December 2013 since that's the passport expiration. Thnanks ragluf, I'm a bit worried on this case since I'll be departing Monday.
Make sure you show them your EC, and LMO at PoE and make sure you specify/tell them clearly the duration of your contract (# of years). Point it out - CBSA officers do sometimes just look at the TRV validity (not the contract) and issue a WP based on the TRV validity. That was my error in my initial entry via a WP and let the CBSA officer determine my WP duration without asking her to look at my EC - she based it on the duration of my TRV (at that time I was only given a single entry TRV with a validity of 6mos. just to make my entry into the country); she should have based it on the EC given my passport was valid for 4+ years (recently renewed). So I had to renew my WP a couple of times.

Note - TRV is a travel/entry document - used only to travel into/enter Canada.
WP is a status document - used to determine your worker/resident status in Canada.

/Good luck and all the best....and welcome to Canada come Monday...

jacky0025

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
EDMONTON ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MAY 23, 2013 (MARRIED) ^__^
Doc's Request.
/AIP: MARCH 13, 2014
Med's Request
/Lc2 Kit: MAY 16, 2014
Interview........
/Email received: DECEMBER 04, 2014
Passport Req..
OCTOBER 28, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
FEBRUARY 05, 2015
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 16, 2014
hello wigwelder...i am going to have this situation soon when i go back to phil for a vacation i am planning to also renew my passport while im in there ...im enlightened after reading the posts above so i am wondering if you can share what happened to you at the point of entry ??? also for us to have idea ..thanks for sharing .... :)

God bless we hope you landed safe and no hassles. :)

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
My US B1/B2 VISA is still in expired passport , I am keep traveling US with New Passport and expired passport having valid VISA , No issues for that , it is very common.
Canada also should allow you to enter .

Remember to You need valid VISA to enter to Canada , Valid work permit is not enough.

migwelder

Star Member
Oct 22, 2008
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2011
Doc's Request.
01-06-2012
Nomination.....
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
14-11-2012
Med's Request
14-11-2012
Med's Done....
19-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-2-2013
LANDED..........
25-03-2013
jacky0025 said:
hello wigwelder...i am going to have this situation soon when i go back to phil for a vacation i am planning to also renew my passport while im in there ...im enlightened after reading the posts above so i am wondering if you can share what happened to you at the point of entry ??? also for us to have idea ..thanks for sharing .... :)

God bless we hope you landed safe and no hassles. :)
Hi jacky. no problems having your visa on old passport, just show both passports whenever they ask you for it.

jacky0025

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
EDMONTON ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MAY 23, 2013 (MARRIED) ^__^
Doc's Request.
/AIP: MARCH 13, 2014
Med's Request
/Lc2 Kit: MAY 16, 2014
Interview........
/Email received: DECEMBER 04, 2014
Passport Req..
OCTOBER 28, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
FEBRUARY 05, 2015
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 16, 2014
hello Dimma and migwelder... thank you so much for answering my question really appreciate it ^_^ yup no worries dimma ill apply for my TRV maybe around august cause my flight is November 28 .... :)

i know this question is answered above ..just want to know your opinion if it is ok for me to travel back to Philppines if my passport is around 5 mons valid .... ??? thanks guys God bless you :-*

cutepinay

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 23, 2013
hello anyone just want to ask ..is there any passport validity required when your applying for TRV because when i will send my application it is about 9-10 mons valid.... just want to know ...bec my plan is to renew my passport when i have my vacation on Phil this November... im apllying for single entry visa ..thanks guys pls answer me :)