+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Foreign Worker Visitor visa required

Dine2317

Feb 6, 2014
Hi guys, I'm new here, I applied online last January 4, 2014 it was confirmed on the same day. During the online assessment their tool came up with "Temporary Foreign Worker (Visitor Visa Required)" As the online guide went on I was asked to apply and pay for a "work permit".

It is confusing since work visa and visitor visa's processing times are different.

By January 7, i received a request for medical exam I accomplished it by January 10, by January 14 they asked me to submit my NBI clearance and by the 23rd the status of my medical exam changed to pass.

Since then I haven't received any update; I am kinda worried because my LMO will expire on Feb 22.

I need an advise anyone here experience the same thing? TIA

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
As long as you submit your application before the LMO expires, you will be fine. My application submitted in July 2010 and my LMO expired in Oct 2010. An interviewed was requested in jan 2011 but rescheduled it to April 2011. My work visa was approved after the interview.

Dine2317

Feb 6, 2014
dna said:
As long as you submit your application before the LMO expires, you will be fine. My application submitted in July 2010 and my LMO expired in Oct 2010. An interviewed was requested in jan 2011 but rescheduled it to April 2011. My work visa was approved after the interview.
Wow your process really took a while., 9months .... . How long did you have to wait after you passed your medical exam? What is your work in Canada sir?

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
I am working as a live-in caregiver. I had an upfront medical examination. I was in Canada already when I submitted my application. I sent the application to one of the visa offices in US. I rescheduled my interview since I needed to apply for US visa to attend the interview in Canadian Consulate in Seattle. I passed the interview and I got my passport back with visa stamped in it just within 2 hours after the interview.

APOLS

Mar 28, 2012
Hi DNA, I am trying to understand your posting.. did you mean you cme to Canada under the visitor's visa from Philippines, got an LMO under the LIC and you applied for a LCP work permit in US (NY or L.A.) and got approved?

How long did it take to process the papers? I am asking because my sister is in tourist visa right now , got an LMO for LIC (qualified under the program) but we don't know where to submit the application (although we know it has to be outside?? of Canada). We are just confused if it is in the flagpole or she has to submit it it to NY or LA.

Did they ask for your police certificates from your home country?

Hoping for your reply.

Thanks.

Abby

thanksGod

Nov 10, 2013
Well that situation was possible that time. Things changed a lot around January 2013. They've closed the visa office in Seattle and people under temporary resident visa "aka" visit visa should apply from their county of origin unless your from a country that doesn't a visa to enter Canada.

APOLS said:
Hi DNA, I am trying to understand your posting.. did you mean you cme to Canada under the visitor's visa from Philippines, got an LMO under the LIC and you applied for a LCP work permit in US (NY or L.A.) and got approved?

How long did it take to process the papers? I am asking because my sister is in tourist visa right now , got an LMO for LIC (qualified under the program) but we don't know where to submit the application (although we know it has to be outside?? of Canada). We are just confused if it is in the flagpole or she has to submit it it to NY or LA.

Hoping for your reply.

Thanks.

Abby

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
thanksGod said:
Well that situation was possible that time. Things changed a lot around January 2013. They've closed the visa office in Seattle and people under temporary resident visa "aka" visit visa should apply from their county of origin unless your from a country that doesn't a visa to enter Canada.
Yes, you are right. Some visa offices in US were closed last year. One of which was Canadian Consulate in Seattle.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
APOLS said:

Hoping for your reply.

Thanks.

Abby
I came to Canada with a student visa. I attended a 10 month program related to education in a college. Then I extended my stay as a visitor (changed condition), visiting relatives. While staying as a visitor, I got a job offer and an LMO under live in caregiver program. I searched around CIC website before submitting my application. One thing I found was that an initial work visa application under LIC has to be submitted to one of visa offices outside Canada. I took my chances to send the application to Seattle, the closest visa office to where I was staying (Seattle office is closed now) instead of to visa office in my country, Indonesia.

I had police certificate before coming to Canada as it was one of the requirements to attend the program that I took. I submitted its copy along with my work visa application.

Application submitted: July 2010
Invitation letter for an interview received ; beginning of Dec 2010
Interview scheduled : 27 Jan 2011 but I rescheduled the interview as I needed to apply for US visa and needed time to gather the documents to bring along when attending the interview (high school certificate, pay stubs, etc)
Reschedule interview : 11 April 2011
Visa approved after the interview: 11 April 2011

Sorry I cannot advice where is best to submit the application.