+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Telling the truth?

true.dot

Feb 25, 2015
Hi There,

This is Oral from Turkey. I would like to ask a question; if you can kindly help me, I would be so happy.

My step father, who is a Canadian citizen, sponsored me and my mom and we became permanent residents on 29th of May 2011 by landing on Toronto Pearson Airport and we stayed in Canada for only 2,5 months and then came back to Turkey since my mom has a very good job in the city of Istanbul - Turkey. The time passed, I studied at one of the best universities in Turkey and then I decided to transfer to a Canadian university in order to keep my PR status and got accepted by UBC as a transfer student. I came back to Canada on 24th of May 2014 to attend the summer school first, then to continue my undergraduate education in 2014 Fall. However, 2 months later right after I finished the summer school in Vancouver my dad in Turkey had some psychological and physical problems with managing our family firm and asked me to come back to Turkey immediately to assist him again. And I did so..

Now, I continue my education in Turkey. My dad has sold the firm this month and got retired, and I want to come back to Canada to maintain my PR status and to continue my education there. I am planning to come back to Canada on 25th of May 2015 to stay there for a very long time since it is going to take at least two years for me to complete my education at UBC, also if we take the fact that I am planning to get my master degree from UBC and try to find a job after graduation in Vancouver into consideration I will stay in Canada for a very very long time, but I will not be able meet the RO when I will arrive in Canada in a few months.

When I come back to Canada the immigration officers will ask me how long I stayed outside Canada right? What if I tell the truth to them? What if I say "Ok, when I first became PR I stayed here in Canada for only 2,5 months and last summer I came here again and stayed for 2 months, but now I came to stay here for at least 3 years. I know I do not meet the Residency Requirement but I had to help my dad with work. Please do not report me and let me achieve my goals here in Canada."? Would they report me for sure? Or would they take initiative and let me in since I am telling the truth? Do they have that initiative actually?

I cannot lie to an immigration officer. Actually to anyone. You can easily understand that I am lying, I do not have such an ability. Anyways. If they do not appreciate this nice behavior (or if they do not have a right to do so) and report me, what happens? How much time will I have to stay in Canada? What if I appeal? Will this help me in this case?

My PR Card expires on 30th of July 2016, will I have a right to stay in Canada as a PR until my PR Card expires? Will I have enough time to graduate from the university in Canada at least? If they deport me from Canada before I graduate I cannot continue my education at my university in Turkey according to Turkish Laws. That's why this is a very critical decision for me. If you kindly share your ideas, I will be so happy. Wish you all a very nice day.

Thanks,

Oral

rks0101

Oct 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
true.dot said:
Hi There,

This is Oral from Turkey. I would like to ask a question; if you can kindly help me, I would be so happy.

My step father, who is a Canadian citizen, sponsored me and my mom and we became permanent residents on 29th of May 2011 by landing on Toronto Pearson Airport and we stayed in Canada for only 2,5 months and then came back to Turkey since my mom has a very good job in the city of Istanbul - Turkey. The time passed, I studied at one of the best universities in Turkey and then I decided to transfer to a Canadian university in order to keep my PR status and got accepted by UBC as a transfer student. I came back to Canada on 24th of May 2014 to attend the summer school first, then to continue my undergraduate education in 2014 Fall. However, 2 months later right after I finished the summer school in Vancouver my dad in Turkey had some psychological and physical problems with managing our family firm and asked me to come back to Turkey immediately to assist him again. And I did so..

Now, I continue my education in Turkey. My dad has sold the firm this month and got retired, and I want to come back to Canada to maintain my PR status and to continue my education there. I am planning to come back to Canada on 25th of May 2015 to stay there for a very long time since it is going to take at least two years for me to complete my education at UBC, also if we take the fact that I am planning to get my master degree from UBC and try to find a job after graduation in Vancouver into consideration I will stay in Canada for a very very long time, but I will not be able meet the RO when I will arrive in Canada in a few months.

When I come back to Canada the immigration officers will ask me how long I stayed outside Canada right? What if I tell the truth to them? What if I say "Ok, when I first became PR I stayed here in Canada for only 2,5 months and last summer I came here again and stayed for 2 months, but now I came to stay here for at least 3 years. I know I do not meet the Residency Requirement but I had to help my dad with work. Please do not report me and let me achieve my goals here in Canada."? Would they report me for sure? Or would they take initiative and let me in since I am telling the truth? Do they have that initiative actually?

I cannot lie to an immigration officer. Actually to anyone. You can easily understand that I am lying, I do not have such an ability. Anyways. If they do not appreciate this nice behavior (or if they do not have a right to do so) and report me, what happens? How much time will I have to stay in Canada? What if I appeal? Will this help me in this case?

My PR Card expires on 30th of July 2016, will I have a right to stay in Canada as a PR until my PR Card expires? Will I have enough time to graduate from the university in Canada at least? If they deport me from Canada before I graduate I cannot continue my education at my university in Turkey according to Turkish Laws. That's why this is a very critical decision for me. If you kindly share your ideas, I will be so happy. Wish you all a very nice day.

Thanks,

Oral
You could enter and stay in Canada anytime till your PR card expires.

(Try answering airport immigration officer's questions precisely about past and briefly about your intentions for future stay, this will not impede your right to enter and stay in Canada unless IO finds some illegal intentions (say, intent to overstay your PR card expiry illegally.)

You would, on basis of residency months, not meet the residency obligations for PR renewal which is 2 years of stay, however ..See CIC FAQ link for more options on the issue:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=727&t=4

If you appeal, you must have a strong case (Attending to sick father? may be...). Earlier you enter Canada now going closer to 2 years of stay, more chance u stand on an appeal on humanitarian grounds..

Hope this helps!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to lie but you don't have to volunteer more information than they ask for. If they ask how long were you outside Canada, you say since last summer. If they ask about before that, you can tell them that you don't meet the RO but you have mitigating circumstances since you had to help your sick father. The immigration officer will decide if to report you or not. If they report you, you can appeal.