Feb 2011
Teen left alone in Toronto after mother deported
Published On Mon Sep 20 2010EmailPrint
Rss ArticleNicholas Keung
Immigration Reporter

Save on legal fees. Flat fee $45
US Immigration, DUI, DWLS, Eviction
www.cheaplegalassistance.com
As always, Leonor Mongoy Soto got home from school, did her homework and waited for her mom to get home from work.

“I waited for her, but she never came back,” recalled the 16-year-old girl. Ever since their refugee claim was rejected in 2008, she and her mother, Yolanda Soto Jurando, had been on the move every six months to avoid immigration enforcement.

That evening her mother eventually called from the Rexdale detention centre, instructing her daughter to leave the apartment immediately and move in with a family friend.

Soto, a hotel cleaner from Mexico, had been picked up at dawn at a friend's house near Jane St. and Lawrence Ave. as she waited for a ride to a job site in Brampton.

Ten days later, she was gone, deported back to Mexico and leaving Mongoy on her own.

Since her mother's April 21 arrest, the teenager has been couch surfing and at the mercy of friends, while her mother tries to flee back to Canada. She originally fled from an alleged sexual predator.

Mongoy returned to school this fall but said she cannot do anything outside of school or her friends' homes, fearing she, too, will get caught.

In an interview from Mexico, Soto, 44, said she didn't mention her separated daughter to Canadian authorities because she wanted her to remain in Canada, where it is safer for the girl.

It is unclear how Canada Border Services Agency officials overlooked Soto having a dependant in Canada.

“How did CBSA not realize simply from Yolanda's file that she also had a daughter, who was also refused refugee status and had an order of deportation?” asked Joseph Burchill, Soto's legal counsel in Mexico.

Border services spokesperson Anna Pape said the department routinely asks arrested individuals if they have family in Canada, and its databases and files cross-reference immediate family members.

“The best interests of the child are taken into account when persons are facing removal from Canada and this means keeping families together,” she said.

“When a custodial parent provides CBSA with information concerning their child's whereabouts or indicates he/she wishes that their child be removed, CBSA ensures that this takes place.”

Soto had filed for asylum in 2006, claiming she was sexually harassed by a co-worker, a security guard, who showed up at her house with his police friends in their cruisers. The family moved but the threats continued, she said.

When the refugee claim was rejected in 2008, she and her daughter joined an estimated 200,000 people living in Canada's underground world.

Janet Dench of the Canadian Council for Refugees said the Soto case is unusual.

“To me, it's an oversight of the removal officers,” she said. “When unaccompanied children are left behind, the state is responsible for looking after their interest.”

Last year, more than 430 unaccompanied children arrived at Canada's land border and filed refugee claims. While some are referred to local social services or the children's aid societies, others are left on their own, said Dench.

“No mother wants to leave a child behind,” said Dench. “But if a mother believes that is in the best interest of the child, she must have real fear for the safety of the child if the child is returned to Mexico.”

Burchill, an immigration consultant, said his client hopes that Canada can grant the family sanctuary.

“There is no real law on this issue. This is an act of decency on the part of the government, not a legal obligation,” said Burchill, adding that Soto is also considering returning legally to work as a live-in caregiver.

Is Canada the saver of every refugee claim? What is your opinon on leaving her kid! behind?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I don't know.. I understand she wants to give her kid a better life, but I believe I'd rather have my child with me than leave her alone in Toronto (and a shady area of Toronto at that!). After reading her refugee claim, I'm a bit skeptical. Someone bullied her and they were friends with the cops? I'm from small town USA and that happens all the time... can Americans enter as refugees? Seems like she wanted to get into Canada the easy way and got caught. I also find it hard to believe she entered Canada without entering the USA, and that automatically invalidates any refugee claim under the Third Safe Country law.

I believe she left her child there so she could have an H and C claim and a sad story for the press. It's just sad that the child is caught up in this and loses either way.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Yep i agree with you.
I am sorry for that kid. :(
BTW I read that there are about 200 000 illegals in Canada.
Can you see how all this affects us? Why some are denied visas to visit their spouses etc.
Its all one big circle.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
Eww, I hate failed refugees. They're nothing but scammers.

I mean, you can tell what type of people they are, when they decide to leave their own child behind just to try to immigrate later after the child has fixed her status in the country (because yeah, the government will do something about this child, I don't think they will deport her just like her mother)

I hope the story that we just read won't be repeated in all the failed refugees that are being caught now and sent back to their home countries. Poor kids.

lynw

Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Done....
17-05-2010
Passport Req..
25-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2010
LANDED..........
23-09-2010
Sounds like the standard "rubbish parent looking for someone else to blame" story. Poor kid.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She may have been advised on claiming asylum in Canada. Some people on the forum were saying a while ago that there are shady immigration agents going to Mexico on a regular basis, recruiting clients by saying it will be very easy for them to go to Canada and claim asylum.

I also don't think this is a good reason to claim asylum in Canada. Mexico is pretty big. I am sure she could have moved to another town and he would not have come after her.

B

buddhadimple

Yeah. I don't know the details but it seems like she didn't leave her daughter alone in Toronto to "protect her" but rather to lodge her own personal "collateral" in the country, putting pressure on it to allow her back in in order to keep her and her daughter together.