+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TD Application

olags

Oct 25, 2011
Dear Guys/Advisers,

My PR card expired already last year. I admit it was my fault.
I want to apply for a Travel Document. Is there a chance it will be granted to me?

If my application for TD was denied, what steps can i make to obtain even a VISIT VISA? I want to visit my friends and relatives over there.

Kindly advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you meet the RO (residency obligation) of 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years, you have a good chance at getting a travel document. If you don't but had H&C grounds for staying outside Canada, for example medical problems, yourself or family, taking care of a sick relative etc., and you can prove it, you also have a good chance.

If your travel document is refused, and you do not appeal, you will officially lose your PR and can apply for a visit visa. Some think that it would have a negative effect that you were a PR before. Personally, I don't think it matters. If you lost your PR because you didn't live in Canada, it doesn't make you very likely to overstay in my opinion.

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Leon

Does having a wife and little kids residing in Canada help you get TD accepted? Regardless of your documents, will they not consider keeping the father away from family a reason to give U TD?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toronto_man said:
Leon

Does having a wife and little kids residing in Canada help you get TD accepted? Regardless of your documents, will they not consider keeping the father away from family a reason to give U TD?
They make take into consideration the best interests of a child but it depends on your situation. If you have lost your PR because you continued to live outside Canada and work outside Canada, your children are not accustomed to you living with them so you not being granted a travel document will not in any case change their situation. If you just want to visit, you can apply for a visit visa.

The other thing is that even if you are granted a travel document, if you continue to live outside Canada, it will not help you in the long run. The travel document gets you one free entry to Canada. If you are going to use that chance to settle, good. If you are leaving again for an overseas job, a travel document granted on H&C grounds might allow you to renew your PR card, however, it may take longer and you may be requested to collect it in person. If you have left Canada again by the time that happens and need a new TD to return, immigration might decide that since you did not use your first TD to settle, they are not going to give you another.

wedso

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Leo
i do have a TD based on H&C grounds with category "RC-1"
1-will i get automatically a new PR when i apply for it?
2- how long will it takes to get it?
3- can i start sponsoring my wife and kidss before gettingt the new PR?
Best Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wedso said:
Hi Leo
i do have a TD based on H&C grounds with category "RC-1"
1-will i get automatically a new PR when i apply for it?
2- how long will it takes to get it?
3- can i start sponsoring my wife and kidss before gettingt the new PR?
Best Regards
1) As far as I know, you should

2) Maybe the same as a renewal, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp Currently 99 days, could be longer because it's H&C

3) Yes