App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
I know that this isn't a tax forum, but can anyone direct me to any resources to help in tax preparation for Outland spouse situations... I am a Canadian citizen/resident and I was married in 2009 to my husband... My spouse lived out of the country for 2009, but I did at the time of my wedding notify revenue canada... Am trying to do my taxes (quicktax :)) and am getting errors that I need to enter my spouses info (SIN ect)... Any insight?

Gracias!

gypsygirl

Sep 12, 2009
I am going to call the Quicktax support line tomorrow. I am in the exact same shoes. I know it's possible to file electronically in our case because i know someone that has done. However, I think what I did wrong was saying at the beginning that we are preparing taxes for both of us. I should have just said for me only. I want to call them to see if I can have the entire thing deleted so I can start over. If they can't do that I'm doomed. I will have to go somewhere to get it done or choose a different software and pay for it again.
I'll keep you posted.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chelley said:
I know that this isn't a tax forum, but can anyone direct me to any resources to help in tax preparation for Outland spouse situations... I am a Canadian citizen/resident and I was married in 2009 to my husband... My spouse lived out of the country for 2009, but I did at the time of my wedding notify revenue canada... Am trying to do my taxes (quicktax :)) and am getting errors that I need to enter my spouses info (SIN ect)... Any insight?

Gracias!
Your spouse has to apply for an ITN (Individual Tax Number) through CRA if you wish to include him/her on your taxes. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1261/README.html

PMM

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have read on past forums that you could just enter 000 000 000 in the field where your partner's SIN should go.
Also, I do believe there is a part on Quicktax where you can check off a box saying that your partner is not a resident of Canada.

I do believe too that if you choose to file with the paper return, you can still fill in the nine 0's in the SIN field and include a letter informing CRA that you were wanting to add your partner but are currently in the process of filing for their PR status and that is why you could not give them a SIN number. Some people have said this works quite effectively.

Also, when in doubt, you could just find a trusted account that is familiar with your type of situation to help you fill out your taxes.

Best of luck and I hope this was of some help. Sorry if it wasn't.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i've tried the 000's and have the non-resident box checked in 2 places and quicktax is still giving me errors...

i'd rather not include him in my taxes (it's of no benefit), so should i just apply as separated for this tax period? not sure if that will raise less flags and let me file electronically without issue?

i was hoping to efile without issue (worried that any quicktax errors may end up being Revenue Canada exceptions)... i'm out of country right now so getting an accountant or tax professional isn't so easily done..

guess i need to put in a call to quick tax too...

gypsy... you can basically "rewind" the quicktax application as far as you want.. it's time consuming, but you can go back (one step at a time) to the beginning and start again... none of your inputted info would be erased, but you should have the option to change the option to file together...

hope that helps!

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So on the subject of filing taxes.....My hubby is Canadian and I'm American. We were married in Dec 2009. How should we file our taxes? I have no idea what to do or the proper procedure to do this. I'm currently in Canada and I've arranged that my mother take my tax info to an H & R Block to file mine for me.

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just thought I'd bump this up. Would I have to file in the US or Canada? Would my husband and I have to file separately in each country? I've been in Canada since Oct. Would that affect anything? Are there any websites or anything for info on what to do? I'm very confused about this. Any info would be helpful.

D

darumal

my spouse (sponsor) & I married in Jan 2009 via inland application.

My spouse want to include me to claim tax. Since my landing interview will be conducted 2 weeks later and I believe I cannot get the sin # at that momennt. Do I need to apply T1261 for my spouse's taxation,

Btw, as long as I stay in Canada over a year, do I need to claim return tax in 2009 even I didnt work and am non-resident>

Thx,

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just called H & R Block and they explained a bunch of stuff to me about taxes and filling. Unfortunately, most of it was over my head :( and I'll be making more phone calls. They were VERY helpful.

gypsygirl

Sep 12, 2009
I was finally able to file my taxes. The mistake I made with Quicktax is that I was trying to file a joint return. I had to redo it and file a single return. There was a question with regards to whether my spouse was a non-resident of Canada. That explained the 0 income. After completing it as a single return I was able to file electronically.
Chelley, you probably had the same issue. Even though I had to pay the $16.99 again ( I actually had to create a new username and password because there was no way to fix the joint return after I did it the first time. That's what the support guy told me) I was able to use NETFILE and I didn't have to hassle with maling it in. I hope it will work out for you too!

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
okay... so you just ignored the errors at the end that said we are missing info (hubby's SIN number ect ect)?

and that didn't raise any flags with revenue canada? (have you seen your return registered and a deposit date listed on my account?)

sorry just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing before i submit and find out that they are going to audit me or some nonsense for flags on my account...

thanks!!!

gypsygirl

Sep 12, 2009
I had a couple of warnings but it was basically just a confirmation that hubby's income was 0. After it told me that i am ready to NETFILE, which i did and was able to do without any hitch. It asked me for his SIN and I just put in zeros. Most importantly, by filing a single return, I was able to put it that he is a non-resident. I think that solved it.
I did it today so no money yet but it said it would take about 8 days before the money is deposited in my account.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
hmmm so putting the hubby's income as zero is acceptable... my husband earned money, just not in canada... i've never been clear on that one...

thanks! :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
For those who want to change personal information in their Quicktax return (e.g. change to a single return), open the return, go to VIEW, then click on personal information, and you can change it. No need to re-enter data in a new return.

The potential problem with filing as a single taxpayer (when you are married) is that you (with lower income) might receive tax credits that you are not entitled to IF your non-resident spouse earns a lot of income outside Canada. If you are filing a return for a non-resident, you must also file a letter stating the non-resident's income outside and inside Canada for the year. This way CRA can calculate your entitlement to thos tax credits.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
ok... i've done a bit of researching and, while it won't apply to me, i will pass on this info

a post from another forum gives some good info for those who are supporting their s/o overseas... you may be able to claim them as dependents... (i'm not claiming my hubby b/c i have a child i claim as equiv. to spouse, which i can do because my spouse was not in the country/ not a resident for 2009)...

regardless the spouse income is zero

apparently gypsy says that you can submit thru quicktax without a spouse SIN number... so i think my return is good to go... if i hit any snags i will report back...

nej... i'm not sure about your case... my hubby and i have been living apart... good luck!

thanks all!