+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Treaty application: "Center of Vital Interests" and "habitual abode"?

Victor_N

Sep 7, 2014
Hello!

Can anybody help me to understand the tax treaty application to my case please?

What is "Center of Vital Interests" and "habitual abode"?

Moreover, how and who's going to determine where they are for my case?

Case descriptions:

My family settled in Canada, while I have to work abroad for foreign employer to support them and I visit them regularly at opportunity basis.

In general, every year I stay in Canada for 140 days a year, 210 in Russia, 15 in international airspace.

Both Russia and Canada consider me as Resident for Tax Purposes: Canada Law claims that I have residential ties - family in Canada, Russia applies 183 day criteria and employers pays tax on my behalf.

Rus-Can Tax Treaty similar to others, the key definition there is Resident of Contracting State:

Article 4 - Resident

Where by reason of the provisions of paragraph 1 an individual is a resident of both Contracting States, then his status shall be determined as follows: - that's me indeed.

he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State in which he has a permanent home available to him; - I have home in Russia, my wife rents apartment in Canada. Test failed. Proceed on the next step.

if he has a permanent home available to him in both States, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State with which his personal and economic relations are closer (centre of vital interests); I have family in Canada, Driver's License of Canada (it's just not allowed to drive without one). But never earned a penny in Canada, don't have bank account, don't have Health Card. In Russia I have job, house, vehicle, Driver License, health insurance. As per the statement above I just don't have an idea where my official Center of Vital interests is.

if the State in which he has his center of vital interests cannot be determined, or if he has not a permanent home available to him in either State, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State in which he has an habitual abode; - is it about 183 days rule? Sounds like I could be a Tax Resident of Russia. But, it's possible to have habitual abode in both states?

if he has an habitual abode in both States or in neither of them, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State of which he is a citizen; - Imagine, somehow I have habitual abode in both states. If we end up to this stage, thus I just don't have Canadian Passport and all becomes absolutely clear.

Treaty is very brief, but very unclear. Does anybody have an idea how to figure out where is my Center of Vital Interests and "habitual abode" and how to use for tax reporting purposes? Thanks!

Fabiorf

Apr 21, 2015
Hi!

I will be in the same situation when I get my permanent resident. For this I will hire a tax advisor, and let you know his answer.

Could you provide me some information ? Have your "Center of Vital Interests" being already pointed as Canada for tax paying ? Who did it? Do you have an official communication from CRA regarding this decision?

If you could send me a text copy of anything you have, I would send it to my tax advisor to help explain him the situation.

thanks