+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Return for Citizenship

rifo94

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I will be applying for citizenship very soon, but I am confused with tax returns.

I landed in 2015 December and did my tax returns for 2016, 2017(Skipped or forgot), 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

My 5 years fall until 2017 and I can't claim anything regarding 2016. However, my days will be completed with the time I had a study permit and my work permit starts in 2017.

According to this forum and the comments I read, they say if you didn't do a tax return it doesn't calculate as a physical year. I want to ask if that's the case or not.

Even though I did tax returns 4 out of 5 years, they don't calculate 2017 as a physical year because of tax return isn't completed. If anyone can share their opinion, would be great!

Thanks,

Were you required to file in 2017? If yes, then you would be out of compliance and that would be an issue - in this case, you can still file for 2017 via mail to resolve this prior to submitting your citizenship application.

If you are NOT required to file for 2017, then the physical year would still count and you would be considered compliant.

rifo94

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
Were you required to file in 2017? If yes, then you would be out of compliance and that would be an issue - in this case, you can still file for 2017 via mail to resolve this prior to submitting your citizenship application.

If you are NOT required to file for 2017, then the physical year would still count and you would be considered compliant.
Thanks for the response. I was an international student and I didn't have any jobs or earnings. My family was supporting me monthly and was renting a room only. So, my question is, Did I require to file it? Also, I most likely forgot to do so. The requirement says you need to do your tax returns 3 out of 5 years and since I've 4 out of 5, isn't this enough? Thank you!

Thanks for the response. I was an international student and I didn't have any jobs or earnings. My family was supporting me monthly and was renting a room only. So, my question is, Did I require to file it? Also, I most likely forgot to do so. The requirement says you need to do your tax returns 3 out of 5 years and since I've 4 out of 5, isn't this enough? Thank you!
I'm not a tax expert, but: If you had no worldwide income that year, you wouldn't have needed to file for 2017.