+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return filing requirement?

Wsxedc

Apr 20, 2022
Hello Friends, can any experts advise if I need to file 2022 Canadian tax return under my situation below?

1) I’m currently working in the US under H1B visa and I did my soft landing and became a Canadian PR in May 2022.
2) I returned to US after the soft landing and will continue to stay in the US until early 2023, then I will permanently move to Canada.
3) My current tie with Canada is only my PR card and my SIN. I do not have any other ties with Canada such as income, bank account, etc. and I haven’t imported anything to Canada yet.

I will need to file 2022 US tax return as a resident alien but do I need to file 2022 Canada tax return given that I literally do not have anything in Canada yet?

Thanking you all for any responses in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Friends, can any experts advise if I need to file 2022 Canadian tax return under my situation below?

1) I’m currently working in the US under H1B visa and I did my soft landing and became a Canadian PR in May 2022.
2) I returned to US after the soft landing and will continue to stay in the US until early 2023, then I will permanently move to Canada.
3) My current tie with Canada is only my PR card and my SIN. I do not have any other ties with Canada such as income, bank account, etc. and I haven’t imported anything to Canada yet.

I will need to file 2022 US tax return as a resident alien but do I need to file 2022 Canada tax return given that I literally do not have anything in Canada yet?

Thanking you all for any responses in advance!
No you don’t need to file taxes for 2022 if your only tie is your SIN#.

Wsxedc

Apr 20, 2022
No you don’t need to file taxes for 2022 if your only tie is your SIN#.
Thank you for the reply. Is there any sort of tax return filing requirement for PR? If I don’t file it, will there be a problem when I renew my PR card or apply for citizenship in the future?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply. Is there any sort of tax return filing requirement for PR? If I don’t file it, will there be a problem when I renew my PR card or apply for citizenship in the future?
There is a tax requirement if you are a PR with ties that make you a tax resident.