+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

tax residency

hofenhofen

Jul 22, 2017
Guys, i have 2 questions

1) assume if i entered canada and stay in country 2 month in 2017 and 5 month in 2018 consecutively (November 2017 - May 2018). each calendar year i havent stayed more than 183 day, but all together i did. since we file taxes for each calendar year means i will be responsible for paying taxes only for days i actually stayed in canada (for 2 month in 2017 and for 5 month in 2018)? only if i stay in canada more than 183 day in calendar year i have to pay taxes for 365 days. this is correct?

2) some of the provinces provide health insurance from the day 1 if im commited to stay over 6 month (if im resident) . How the starting day of residency and ending day of residency is recorded? if i want to stay exactly 6 month and 1 day how to do it?

Last edited:

SpottedDick

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Montreal
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-M
App. Filed.......
30-05-2017
1) The CRA will prorate your 2017 taxes and personal amounts as a new immigrant. 2018 will be taxed as a full year IF YOU CHOOSE to be taxed as Canadian resident. I didn't see in your message if you want or don't want to keep Canadian residency.
Don't combine these 2+5 months, it doesn't work like this. For tax resident status 183 days is NOT the only indicator, consult CRA for details:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

2) not sure what you want to do. Talking about Quebec, if you come today (July 24, 2017), your insurance will start on Oct.01 2017

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Guys, i have 2 questions

1) assume if i entered canada and stay in country 2 month in 2017 and 5 month in 2018 consecutively (November 2017 - May 2018). each calendar year i havent stayed more than 183 day, but all together i did. since we file taxes for each calendar year means i will be responsible for paying taxes only for days i actually stayed in canada (for 2 month in 2017 and for 5 month in 2018)? only if i stay in canada more than 183 day in calendar year i have to pay taxes for 365 days. this is correct?

2) some of the provinces provide health insurance from the day 1 if im commited to stay over 6 month (if im resident) . How the starting day of residency and ending day of residency is recorded? if i want to stay exactly 6 month and 1 day how to do it?
As SpottedDick mentioned, your residency will be determined by multiple factors, not just the duration of your stay in Canada. If you are deemed to be a resident, you will be taxed on ALL your GLOBAL income, regardless of when and where it was earned.

Similarly, provinces have specific rules on healthcare eligibility. You can't just plan to come and go and expect coverage to be available.

It sounds like you are trying to scam the system by not paying taxes and still seeking free healthcare. It is illegal and it won't work...you aren't the first to try it.

Reactions: SpottedDick

SpottedDick

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Montreal
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-M
App. Filed.......
30-05-2017
It sounds like you are trying to scam the system by not paying taxes and still seeking free healthcare. It is illegal and it won't work...you aren't the first to try it.
On top of that the refusal to file taxes will undermine the ability to apply for Canadian citizenship therefore either the author is asking for troubles or he doesn't care about his Canadian future.