+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax refund delays !!!

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Hi All,

I filed my tax returns around February last week.I am a first time tax filer in Canada.

After this I changed my residence to a new address beginning April 1st and got COPR and we (me and my husband) landed and got the PR.

Also we changed our SIN to new permanent SIN number.

But I updated the CRA about my residence address change only the previous week(May 23rd).

My tax refund seems to be not processed.If I call the CRA helpline , they dont seem to give much information and if I ask about the status of the refund the representative told me that she cannot share any information regarding it.

So what should I do now ? I might have missed any mails from CRA if it had gone to previous mailing addres ?How do i set this right ?

Please help !!

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello PR_User,

I hope you are well.

You may want to try the following:

1) call CRA individual helpline at 1-800-959-8281 and confirm the address they have for you on file
2) call the same CRA phone number above and verify the status of your and your husband's personal tax returns
3) if the CRA issued a cheque to you to your old address, ask them to cancel it and issue you a new one to the new location (charges may apply)
4) in case some mail and correspondence may have gone amiss, ask the CRA representative to re-issue and forward to you the correspondence from the last month or so to your new address, if you didn't receive anything

Note: make sure to call the CRA for both your SIN numbers (old and the new) because the activity (returns processing, cheque issuance, etc.) may be registered under one or the other, if not both

The CRA will ask you for personal identification and tax-related questions before they can speak to anyone about their tax account. Make sure to have your SIN, DOB, spousal, and tax return information ready.

Best of luck!

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
You're welcome! I hope that helps. Regardless of what happens, please post and let us know. It may be that others are going through the same situation.

www.madanca.com

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks.. I got my refund ... but the amount is less than the one we calculated and filed(Almost 1000$)

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Compare your income tax filing with how the CRA did it, by checking your income tax return side-by-side with the Notice of Assessment you received. If this self-comparison doesn't explain anything, call the CRA in the individual help-line (1800-959-8281) and ask them to walk you through it with you.

At the end of the day, this should allow you to determine if your original return was correctly prepared, or not.

Best wishes!

www.madanca.com