+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax issues for UN staff members

safiullahliaqat

May 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I am working for the United Nations Peacekeeping missions (Contracted by the UN) outside Canada and my family lives in Toronto. My wife will soon start the LINC program and I have two children who are 4 and 2 years old. My status is refugee protected person and my PR is in under process.

My questions are;

1. Is my income from the UN (salary+other entitlements) considered as zero income here in Canada ?
2. Can I apply for Subsidy for my two children daycare ?
3. Is the child tax benefits calculated at maximum rates if my income considered as zero.

Any other information regarding this will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
safiullahliaqat said:
My questions are;

1. Is my income from the UN (salary+other entitlements) considered as zero income here in Canada ?
2. Can I apply for Subsidy for my two children daycare ?
3. Is the child tax benefits calculated at maximum rates if my income considered as zero.
When you signed your contract and whether or not you have a contract with the UN are key questions here.

The credit is being phased out and in 2016, unless you work under a contract signed prior to March 2012, you cannot claim any of the credit that was used to eliminate income from UN contracts.

If you pay taxes on that income in another country though you likely would qualify for the foreign tax credit.

Financial aid is available for families who need it, if your income from your contract is low and your family is in need, you'll qualify...I'm guessing that wasn't your question and you were hoping to get more out of the system than what you should get. Your net income would still be deemed to be the full amount you earn and that's what's used to determine eligibility and amounts for both questions 2 and 3.