+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Filing for Super Visa requirements

prashant89

Aug 6, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I have my PR since a year and will be moving to Canada in Feb 2024. I was thinking of applying for the Super Visa for my parents and noticed that I need to meet some requirements. Specifically the "Minimum necessary income requirements". All my income for 2023 and before is from US. Has anyone filed taxes with US income for these purposes and succeeded?

Also is there a tax professional that I can referred to help me with this issue. Thanks for all your help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have my PR since a year and will be moving to Canada in Feb 2024. I was thinking of applying for the Super Visa for my parents and noticed that I need to meet some requirements. Specifically the "Minimum necessary income requirements". All my income for 2023 and before is from US. Has anyone filed taxes with US income for these purposes and succeeded?

Also is there a tax professional that I can referred to help me with this issue. Thanks for all your help.
US income doesn’t count. Once you are in Canada, and file taxes then you will get a NOA stating your income.

Reactions: prashant89

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Most do not qualify for supervisa until their second year in Canada at a minimum. The supervisa program is not meant for parents to visit their children right away. Parents can attempt to apply for a TRV if they wish to visit earlier but I would suggest they only apply after you have spent at least a few months getting established in Canada first

Reactions: prashant89

prashant89

Aug 6, 2019
Most do not qualify for supervisa until their second year in Canada at a minimum. The supervisa program is not meant for parents to visit their children right away. Parents can attempt to apply for a TRV if they wish to visit earlier but I would suggest they only apply after you have spent at least a few months getting established in Canada first
Thank you. I shall follow your advice and apply after a year once I have all documents in place.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Hello,

I am PR since March 2022 but I came back to India soon. I will going back to Canada in Feb 2024 for good and start my Canadian employment on March1st. Does this make me elligible to apply for a super visa for my mother?

I need to call my mother soon in May/June as we have a baby of 9 mos old who would be travelling with my wife in May/June and would like to have my mom with us to help us settle down

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am PR since March 2022 but I came back to India soon. I will going back to Canada in Feb 2024 for good and start my Canadian employment on March1st. Does this make me elligible to apply for a super visa for my mother?

I need to call my mother soon in May/June as we have a baby of 9 mos old who would be travelling with my wife in May/June and would like to have my mom with us to help us settle down
No. You aren’t even living or a resident in Canada. IRCC really wants to see a tax filing with NOA.

She can apply for a TRV showing her own funds (yours are not relevant because you are not even in Canada), travel history, ties to return.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
No. You aren’t even living or a resident in Canada. IRCC really wants to see a tax filing with NOA.

She can apply for a TRV showing her own funds (yours are not relevant because you are not even in Canada), travel history, ties to return.
They have also listed that a employment letter from employer is also a valid document to prove LICO minimum income requirement. Will this not suffice?

If I apply for TRV, what are the chances it will be extended if I file a visitor record a month prior to its expiry

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They have also listed that a employment letter from employer is also a valid document to prove LICO minimum income requirement. Will this not suffice?

If I apply for TRV, what are the chances it will be extended if I file a visitor record a month prior to its expiry
How long have you worked for employer in Canada? Job letter is not meeting LIICO as that is future income. Is this your mother? You really need to be working and living in Canada for at least 6-10 months before applying for supervisa. IRCC will wonder why mother must come here so quickly without you even living here.

You can apply for extension and it may or may not be approved. No one can tell you.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
How long have you worked for employer in Canada? Job letter is not meeting LIICO as that is future income. Is this your mother? You really need to be working and living in Canada for at least 6-10 months before applying for supervisa. IRCC will wonder why mother must come here so quickly without you even living here.

You can apply for extension and it may or may not be approved. No one can tell you.
I understand! I was planning to initiate supervisa immediately after I land and start working in March.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I understand! I was planning to initiate supervisa immediately after I land and start working in March.
No a good idea. IRCC usually only wants NOA. And if you haven’t been working in Canada for at least 6 months to show you are actually working in that job, then makes no sense to apply. NOA proves have made that income for the tax year.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In such circumstances, why don't you consider to host your guest to get a regular TRV first and then go for an extension of up to 2 years stay in Canada?

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
In such circumstances, why don't you consider to host your guest to get a regular TRV first and then go for an extension of up to 2 years stay in Canada?
Could you elaborate on the 2 years extension? How is that possible?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Supervisa is based on income earned in Canada not salary so your mother won’t qualify for a supervisa.

As mentioned she can attempt to get a normal visitor visa but helping your wife and child settle in Canada would not be a great reason to travel. There may be concerns that your mother is attempting to move to a Canada with you and your family. Does she have strong ties to her home country like children under 22, spouse who will not travel, property ownership, good savings, etc.? Does she have previous international travel history like US, UK, Australia, etc.

You can always attempt to ask for an extension before the end of a visitor stay but it isn’t guaranteed and would not ask for a 2 year extension. Your mother can not live in Canada only visit so if visiting soon after you move to Canada there would likely be concerns if she attempts to visit soon after. In general parent sponsorship is not guaranteed so your mother needs to have a plan B if she can not visit Canada longterm (even if she visits under supervisa she will likely have to return home return home after the visit) and she may never qualify for PR.

Last edited:

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Supervisa is based on income earned in Canada not salary so your mother won’t qualify for a supervisa.

As mentioned she can attempt to get a normal visitor visa but helping your wife and child settle in Canada would not be a great reason to travel. There may be concerns that your mother is attempting to move to a Canada with you and your family. Does she have strong ties to her home country like children under 22, spouse who will not travel, property ownership, good savings, etc.? Does she have previous international travel history like US, UK, Australia, etc.

You can always attempt to ask for an extension before the end of a visitor stay but it isn’t guaranteed and would not ask for a 2 year extension. Your mother can not live in Canada only visit so if visiting soon after you move to Canada there would likely be concerns if she attempts to visit soon after. In general parent sponsorship is not guaranteed so your mother needs to have a plan B if she can not visit Canada longterm (even if she visits under supervisa she will likely have to return home return home after the visit) and she may never qualify for PR.
Yes she has strong ties to India. She and I co own a house that we currently stay in, has decent pension income to sustain herself coupled with saving in bank accounts to show. She does have travel history to Australia, SE Asia (Singapore & Malaysia)