+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TAX BY NON-RESIDENT CANADIANS

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
Can anybody advise how non-resident Canadians pay taxes? is there a guideline by CRA /link and forms to remit tax from outside Canada

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Yes, there are non-resident forms, but residency for tax purposes is tricky. You could be a factual resident or a deemed resident even if you think you are a non-resident. You could call CRA's international tax office for advice.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
shankariyer said:
Can anybody advise how non-resident Canadians pay taxes? is there a guideline by CRA /link and forms to remit tax from outside Canada
An non-resident Canadian can file income taxes as non-resident status. Taxes still need to be paid if there are investment income / rental income in Canada, etc.

Even if you don't have any investment or rental income, you can still file taxes and not pay any taxes at all.

I was able to file Canadian income tax as a non-resident for 5 years while working in US. I didn't pay any taxes. I was not required to file income tax to Canada since I had no Canadian income but I filed anyway.

social w

Nov 5, 2011
screech339 said:
An non-resident Canadian can file income taxes as non-resident status. Taxes still need to be paid if there are investment income / rental income in Canada, etc.

Even if you don't have any investment or rental income, you can still file taxes and not pay any taxes at all.

I was able to file Canadian income tax as a non-resident for 5 years while working in US. I didn't pay any taxes. I was not required to file income tax to Canada since I had no Canadian income but I filed anyway.
Will leaving some funds in canadian account be treated like investment ?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:

What does a tax return with no income look like? ;D

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
What does a tax return with no income look like? ;D
Like any tax return only with zero refund.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
Was it all zeros or did you have to report worldwide income and then deduct non-Canadian source income?
I didn't report worldwide income because I wasn't a resident of Canada. I only reported Canadian sourced income. Canadian Investments / Interests / Capital Gains, etc etc.

So I didn't exactly have zero income. I had a few measly bucks but still listed it as income.

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
Interesting and good information.
One silly question. I currently work ON and it appears that I may a get a good position and salary in Middle East. If this happens, should I need to take anybody's approval (e.g. CRA) before flying? or just fly settle and start submitting IT! Please advise.
Regards

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
shankariyer said:
Interesting and good information.
One silly question. I currently work ON and it appears that I may a get a good position and salary in Middle East. If this happens, should I need to take anybody's approval (e.g. CRA) before flying? or just fly settle and start submitting IT! Please advise.
Regards
If you are taking up non-resident status, you are supposed to file a final Canadian return and pay departure tax if applicable......

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
If you are taking up non-resident status, you are supposed to file a final Canadian return and pay departure tax if applicable......
I never heard of a pay departure tax. However if you have such a thing as home buyers plan, your home buyer plan would close and must pay tax on the remaining balance when you become non-resident.

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
Who is the right person or organisation we can contact regarding:-
a) queries and our commitment as citizen before and after become Non resident. We have to fulfil our duties as citizen in terms of tax returns.
b) who can represent us in filing our taxes (we just provide the info. required and they submit our taxes)
c) Any recommended organisations/consultant
d) What would be the annual professional fees they may charge.
Thanks.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
"When you leave Canada, you are considered to have sold certain types of property (even if you have not sold them) at their fair market value and to have immediately reacquired them for the same amount. This is called a deemed disposition and you may have to report a capital gain (also known as departure tax)."

More here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shankar this is a good thread. I too am looking for information as I too might be going to work in the middle east once my citizenship is done. Will be following this thread. However I have bought a house and my family is here in Edmonton so I am wondering what are the tax implications for me? Anybody help?
shankariyer said:
Who is the right person or organisation we can contact regarding:-
a) queries and our commitment as citizen before and after become Non resident. We have to fulfil our duties as citizen in terms of tax returns.
b) who can represent us in filing our taxes (we just provide the info. required and they submit our taxes)
c) Any recommended organisations/consultant
d) What would be the annual professional fees they may charge.
Thanks.