+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax benefits for non Canadian resident

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
Hi , I am international student without work permit and 0 income from inside and outside Canada, my last entry to Canada was on 6/02/2013.
I have common law Canadian resident and she will give birth in February.
In order to receive Canada child benefit I have to file a tax return. to fill one I must obtain SIN . to obtain SIN card ,student must have work permit, which I dont. I am not sure if Service Canada can issue me temporarily one for tax purpose. If they wont, I guess I will have to apply for CRA to get one which will take about month.Also I need to apply for Quebec as I reside here. Have anyone was or is at the same situation? :D

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
Smsm81 said:
Hi , I am international student without work permit and 0 income from inside and outside Canada, my last entry to Canada was on 6/02/2013.
In order to receive Canada child benefit I have to file a tax return. to fill one I must obtain SIN . to obtain SIN card ,student must have work permit, which I dont. I am not sure if Service Canada can issue me temporarily one for tax purpose. If they wont, I guess I will have to apply for CRA to get one which will take about month.Also I need to apply for Quebec as I reside here. Have anyone was or is at the same situation? :D
Apply for residency asap

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
Smsm81 said:
You don't waste time, you can only be entitled to all these benefits if you are a permanent resident

mohammad110

Feb 8, 2014
Dear All,

I become PR and settled Sep 2013, since then I am not working and no income.
1- now I want to transfer part of my savings in last 10 years (around 100,000 CAD) via bank transfer from outside Canada to my account in Canada.
will it be taxable?
2- should I mention my whole savings (inside and outside US ) in my first TAX form??

Thanks in advance,
Mohamad

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
mohammad110 said:
Dear All,

I become PR and settled Sep 2013, since then I am not working and no income.
1- now I want to transfer part of my savings in last 10 years (around 100,000 CAD) via bank transfer from outside Canada to my account in Canada.
will it be taxable?
2- should I mention my whole savings (inside and outside US ) in my first TAX form??

Thanks in advance,
Mohamad
Transfers such as the one you described are not taxable. You do not need to declare your savings on your tax form, just income generated from your savings (i.e., interest income, capital gains, rental income, etc.)

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Dear mohammad10,

You do not have to report your foreign-held funds/property in 2013.

However, if you have foreign-held funds and property that cost more than $100,000, you may have to report it on the T1135. This will apply to you specifically starting in the 2014 tax year.

See the form for more details: cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1135/t1135-13e.pdf

Madan Chartered Accountant team
madanca.com