+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking Canadian citizenship with H1B living in US

Murthy2222

Star Member
Oct 20, 2016
Doc's Request.
No
Hi,

I'm in a unique situation, I have my H1B Stamping on Indian Passport, However I'm becoming a Canadian citizen now. Do i need a new visa on Canadian Passport to work in US ? I will be surrendering my existing passport as soon as i get my Canadian passport

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hi,

I'm in a unique situation, I have my H1B Stamping on Indian Passport, However I'm becoming a Canadian citizen now. Do i need a new visa on Canadian Passport to work in US ? I will be surrendering my existing passport as soon as i get my Canadian passport
Canadian passport holders don't need H1B visa stamping in the passport.

However, whether you can use your current H1B visa is an entirely different question. Someone should have gone through this here.

Murthy2222

Star Member
Oct 20, 2016
Doc's Request.
No
Canadian passport holders don't need H1B visa stamping in the passport.

However, whether you can use your current H1B visa is an entirely different question. Someone should have gone through this here.
Thank you. I'm unsure aswell, I thought I need a new H1 Stamping if i need to pass through US customs at the port of entry. I will wait to hear from others experience.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
you don't need a visa or stamping as Canadians can enter US visa free. If you take your i797 and Canadian passport to a POE and inform the officer at booth that you have change in nationality, they will send you to secondary and process the change.

Additionally, even if you renounce Indian citizenship, you will get back your passport and can use the visas associated with the passport along with your new passport.

Murthy2222

Star Member
Oct 20, 2016
Doc's Request.
No
you don't need a visa or stamping as Canadians can enter US visa free. If you take your i797 and Canadian passport to a POE and inform the officer at booth that you have change in nationality, they will send you to secondary and process the change.

Additionally, even if you renounce Indian citizenship, you will get back your passport and can use the visas associated with the passport along with your new passport.
Thank you

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
Hi all, does anyone have an experience where while their Canadian citizenship application is in progress, move to the US? Did they grant citizenship while in the US? Right now the test and ceremony are all online so there is really no difference if I am in Canada or US. I have a work opportunity to move by I am afraid my application will get too long or even be denied, could anyone please share if you have a similar experience? Really appreciate it ...

heroicdeath

Apr 14, 2021
Hi all, does anyone have an experience where while their Canadian citizenship application is in progress, move to the US? Did they grant citizenship while in the US? Right now the test and ceremony are all online so there is really no difference if I am in Canada or US. I have a work opportunity to move by I am afraid my application will get too long or even be denied, could anyone please share if you have a similar experience? Really appreciate it ...
You have to be physically present in Canada for the oath ceremony. Everything else can be done virtually abroad.

Takita

May 12, 2021
You have to be physically present in Canada for the oath ceremony. Everything else can be done virtually abroad.
what to keep in mind when leaving US after Citizenship application submitted and while it's processing to avoid delay/denial? just travel to any city in Canada prior 0ath cerem0ny and leave after that? anything else? TIA.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018

This is absolutely correct, I have gone through this process few months back. Also, H4 and H4 EAD remained in effect for my spouse after changing nationality. Just show up at PoE and they will send you for secondary where everything will be take care of as long as you have I 797

Reactions: shellyhanda

AVISHWAKARMA

May 22, 2019
This is absolutely correct, I have gone through this process few months back. Also, H4 and H4 EAD remained in effect for my spouse after changing nationality. Just show up at PoE and they will send you for secondary where everything will be take care of as long as you have I 797

Thanks for the details. I am having further question like Do we need to get stamping for Canadian Citizen for dependent for H4 Visa to move to USA.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
as I said mentioned in my last post, you don’t need any stamping for either h1 or h4 on Canadian passport. All you need is approved I 797

shellyhanda

Aug 2, 2020
as I said mentioned in my last post, you don’t need any stamping for either h1 or h4 on Canadian passport. All you need is approved I 797
I am in the same boat, I have a valid H1B and H4 for my spouse so what I understood from this thread is after getting Canadian citizenship and cancellation of Indian citizenship my H1B and H4 will still remain valid. Can you please confirm it. Do you see any issue on H1 visa after giving up Indian citizenship

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same boat, I have a valid H1B and H4 for my spouse so what I understood from this thread is after getting Canadian citizenship and cancellation of Indian citizenship my H1B and H4 will still remain valid. Can you please confirm it. Do you see any issue on H1 visa after giving up Indian citizenship
You still have to meet the requirements to work in the US but for Canadian citizens not Indians. Still no guarantee that you can live and work in the US as a Canadian although certainly easier than with having Indian citizenship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what to keep in mind when leaving US after Citizenship application submitted and while it's processing to avoid delay/denial? just travel to any city in Canada prior 0ath cerem0ny and leave after that? anything else? TIA.
You do need to retain your PR status for citizenship.

Reactions: Takita

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
no issues at all,

Reactions: shellyhanda