lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
I contacted my department for a letter stating whether I am doing a full time TA/RA or a part time. They did not know whether it is full time or part time. The confusion is that if I am studying full time it means I cannot work full time. But if I am not studying full time I cannot be an RA/TA so what is the definition of full time RA/TA according to CIC.

Thank you in advance.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
for CIC full time is at least 30 hours per week. if you were studying full-tiime in Canada, you probably had up to 15 paid h/week of RA/TA duties (they looking at the paid hours only).

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
I agree with you that it is 30 hrs/week but the question is that the university does not appoint anyone as a TA/RA only. One has to be enrolled as a full time student to be RA/TA. The contract says that a student can be assigned to a maximum of 12 hrs/week. This can never go up. So it means there is nothing which can be called a full time TA/RA. The department will not mention whether it is full time or part time on the letter but will only state that I am a full time student and also working as a RA/TA for which I am getting paid.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Full time employment is at least 37.5 hours per week. Unless you can document 37.5 hours a week, you are not full-time in the eyes of CIC. It matters not what the university thinks.

But it doesn't really matter whether it is full-time or part-time, as long as you accumulate the equivalent number of hours.

The OP 6 was updated 04/2010 -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Thank you for your answers. My question now is that since the CIO only checks the completeness of application and checks the class to which we are applying. Can I submit an application to the CIO even if my points are not yet complete but will be complete within 3 months. I am currently doing masters and will be finishing by the end of August. Then I will have sufficient points once I complete my masters.
So what is your recommendation about applying. Should I apply to CIO or wait for three months and apply once I have all the points?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kisunja said:
for CIC full time is at least 30 hours per week. if you were studying full-tiime in Canada, you probably had up to 15 paid h/week of RA/TA duties (they looking at the paid hours only).
No, it 37.5 hours per week, see: the instructions page 12 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

You will earn points for the number of years you have spent in full-time (37.5 hours per week), paid work.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
lahorimunda said:
Thank you for your answers. My question now is that since the CIO only checks the completeness of application and checks the class to which we are applying. Can I submit an application to the CIO even if my points are not yet complete but will be complete within 3 months. I am currently doing masters and will be finishing by the end of August. Then I will have sufficient points once I complete my masters.
So what is your recommendation about applying. Should I apply to CIO or wait for three months and apply once I have all the points?
You should wait. Your application date to CIO is the one that counts, and you have to be eligible at that time.