+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Syphilis positive

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Hi folks!
I hope everyone is okay. I have a question. I am convention refugee and me and my husband are applying for pr. We recently found out he is Syphilis positive. He got last treatment today. (Every week: total 3 weeks). We did not submit application yet. He asked to the doctor for Doctors notes. He got it.
Do you think it will effect our application negative? Can they reject us? Should we submit the doctors notes also?

Also I read this one.
Exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
As per paragraphs R24, R117(g) and R139(4), excessive demand determinations under A38(1)(c) do not apply to:

spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
a dependent child (including an adopted a child) of the sponsor, or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
Convention Refugees;
protected persons.
Although such individuals must undertake a full immigration medical examination, they are not assessed for excessive demand.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks!
I hope everyone is okay. I have a question. I am convention refugee and me and my husband are applying for pr. We recently found out he is Syphilis positive. He got last treatment today. (Every week: total 3 weeks). We did not submit application yet. He asked to the doctor for Doctors notes. He got it.
Do you think it will effect our application negative? Can they reject us? Should we submit the doctors notes also?

Also I read this one.
Exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
As per paragraphs R24, R117(g) and R139(4), excessive demand determinations under A38(1)(c) do not apply to:

spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
a dependent child (including an adopted a child) of the sponsor, or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
Convention Refugees;
protected persons.
Although such individuals must undertake a full immigration medical examination, they are not assessed for excessive demand.
Did it come out positive during the medical? You won’t be denied PR due to syphilis but could be slightly delayed until proof of treatment.

Reactions: Canadian_rainbow

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Did it come out positive during the medical? You won’t be denied PR due to syphilis but could be slightly delayed until proof of treatment.
Provided applicant is protected person, Medical Inadmissibility does not apply, Officer is instructed to do the following; In this case NO Proof of Treatment is required or delaying application because of that....

• Under Medical Assessment, Description mark the following words" Had a Condition for which potential demand on health or social services is not sufficient to exclude admission under sec 38 (1) (c)
  • Under IMM Type mark as EDE and proceed with application
  • Lastly, under EDE description, mark "Surveillance is not required".

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Hi,
Thank you for the answer. We have not submit application yet for the pr. We just found out regular blood test. He already got treatments. Last one was 3rd may. This week. (He got doctor notes)
So we should say yes on the form. (He has/had syphilis?
Should we send the document that he received all treatments? (Send them with other documents at the beginning before they ask)

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Provided applicant is protected person, Medical Inadmissibility does not apply, Officer is instructed to do the following; In this case NO Proof of Treatment is required or delaying application because of that....

• Under Medical Assessment, Description mark the following words" Had a Condition for which potential demand on health or social services is not sufficient to exclude admission under sec 38 (1) (c)
Thank you so much. So this situation is not going to effect our application?

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022

I am protected person but my husband not. We got married later. Is it same for him too?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I am protected person but my husband not. We got married later. Is it same for him too?
My response above was based for Protected Person. However In this case then you are sponsoring your husband and that will become a factor during medical assessment. Most likely he will receive Procedural Fairness Letter. Un treated Syphilis is one of those fall under medical inadmissibility. Key word "Untreated"

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
My response above was based for Protected Person. However In this case then you are sponsoring your husband and that will become a factor during medical assessment. Most likely he will receive Procedural Fairness Letter. Un treated Syphilis is one of those fall under medical inadmissibility. Key word "Untreated"
Thank you so much. He already got his treatments.

Bryanpaz

Star Member
Mar 3, 2023
"Has <applicant> had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder?"
Answer no,
Once he goes through medical exam, explain the doctor about the situation and hand the notes to him so he can attach them to your test. And therefore he will confirm is a treated syphilis.
(Only Untreated Syphilis is considered inadmissible in a case of sponsorship)

Remember, Syphilis has different stages, if it is untreated it could be considered a very serious disease depending on the stage it is. In this case he was treated.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Answer no,
Once he goes through medical exam, explain the doctor about the situation and hand the notes to him so he can attach them to your test. And therefore he will confirm is a treated syphilis.
(Only Untreated Syphilis is considered inadmissible in a case of sponsorship)

Remember, Syphilis has different stages, if it is untreated it could be considered a very serious disease depending on the stage it is. In this case he was treated.
I think this needs to be validated by her lawyer. I see your point though, the only issue will be whether Physician indicates otherwise, and since her spouse is temporary resident it may or may not complicate situation, in this case misrep.
I know someone who had tb 7yrs go, and was advised to tick yes. He was asked for survellaince and eventually got his pr back in 2017.

Bryanpaz

Star Member
Mar 3, 2023
I think this needs to be validated by her lawyer. I see your point though, the only issue will be whether Physician indicates otherwise, and since her spouse is temporary resident it may or may not complicate situation, in this case misrep.
I know someone who had tb 7yrs go, and was advised to tick yes. He was asked for survellaince and eventually got his pr back in 2017.
Right, the best decision would be to validate with a lawyer.

also, here’s some information that could help too
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons/medical-inadmissibility.html#public-health