+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

survival jobs and wages for a newcomer

india2canada

Oct 11, 2010
hello all

i am new to this thread,,,i have seen all the responses to the question,,,,and i feel very surprised that is it so hard to answer a simple question which was originally asked

"WHAT ARE THE WAGES FOR A SURVIVAL JOB (any layman,,helper,,worker) "

everybody is answering what are the expenses of canada,,,,i mean if somebody asks me that what is the average salary of a worker or a layman earns i do'nt think it will cause any ego problem

i think this is a forum for help,,,,why don't we share help instead of giving -ve marking

do little good,,,that would be the best service to god

thank u all

ambar

Star Member
Dec 1, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2010
Doc's Request.
15-06-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-11-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Hi,

I don't think there is a set wage, I honestly think it differs. What you would have to do is apply and possibly find out from the employer.
There are also some services for newcomers (I know there's one in my area) which helps people find jobs suited for them.
So possibly give that a shot.

I don't think there is a set wage, and someone has already mentioned minimum wages for jobs. But it depends on the employer and they type of job you are doing.

mrs B

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
Calgary.......for anyone thinking of moving to calgary, it's true Calgary is VERY expensive, my husband and I are looking to leave Calgary, taxes are good, food is very expensive, and tons and tons of racism....

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
india2canada said:
i am new to this thread,,,i have seen all the responses to the question,,,,and i feel very surprised that is it so hard to answer a simple question which was originally asked

everybody is answering what are the expenses of canada,,,,i mean if somebody asks me that what is the average salary of a worker or a layman earns i do'nt think it will cause any ego problem

i think this is a forum for help,,,,why don't we share help instead of giving -ve marking
I think everyone who has responded to your post has been trying to help you.

It is hard to give a set answer on wages, because every city and town differs. Province to province I believe even minimum wage differs, and the amount of provincial sales tax changes too. Because there have been labour shortages in many sectors, some places that would normally pay minimum wage now pay a few dollars over.

However, your lifestyle will dictate what you consider a survival job!! If you rent a room in someone's house, and walk or bus everywhere, your cost for survival will be a lot less than if you rent a house or fancy apartment and drive a car! The amount of people you support on one salary also affects your cost of survival.

My cost for survival is probably very different from yours. Some people make less than $1000 a month, some people make many thousands of dollars a month. Working at a fast food restaurant full time would probably net you $1200 a month, but I don't know for sure, because I don't work at one.

If you look at job websites, sometimes the wages are posted. Although last times I was job hunting, I found that the only way to find out the salary for some positions was at the interview or after an offer was given.

india2canada

Oct 11, 2010
mrs B said:
Calgary.......for anyone thinking of moving to calgary, it's true Calgary is VERY expensive, my husband and I are looking to leave Calgary, taxes are good, food is very expensive, and tons and tons of racism....
really :eek: :eek: :eek:

very sad to know about racism,,,can u elaborate it more !!!

i thought canada is most accommodating country in terms of races,,,,this is unacceptable

india2canada

Oct 11, 2010
justina said:
I think everyone who has responded to your post has been trying to help you.

It is hard to give a set answer on wages, because every city and town differs. Province to province I believe even minimum wage differs, and the amount of provincial sales tax changes too. Because there have been labour shortages in many sectors, some places that would normally pay minimum wage now pay a few dollars over.

However, your lifestyle will dictate what you consider a survival job!! If you rent a room in someone's house, and walk or bus everywhere, your cost for survival will be a lot less than if you rent a house or fancy apartment and drive a car! The amount of people you support on one salary also affects your cost of survival.

My cost for survival is probably very different from yours. Some people make less than $1000 a month, some people make many thousands of dollars a month. Working at a fast food restaurant full time would probably net you $1200 a month, but I don't know for sure, because I don't work at one.

If you look at job websites, sometimes the wages are posted. Although last times I was job hunting, I found that the only way to find out the salary for some positions was at the interview or after an offer was given.
thanks justina

i think now we are talking business,,,,but i am very surprised to know that the wages for a worker will add up to only 1000 or 1200 odd CAD$,,,,i thought all the states give minimum of 10 dollars for an hour so it will end up to 2400 or more for a month,,,,,,i have good English level,,,,can speak and understand the accent ,,,,,,

on the front of expenses my stay would be at my relatives so it wont be much expensive for me initially,,,,
nd i m single

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
Don't forget that there are taxes taken off of your paycheque. In addition, if your employer has a benefit plan, you may have deductions for that. Or for retirement savings plans. Even if your salary is 2400 a month, that is not the amount you get to take home. It hurts sometimes, but those taxes help pay for a lot of services we have in this country.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Minimum wage in Canada varies from Province to Province. It is currently anywhere from 8.00 to 10.25 per hour.

Plus you don't get full time job right-away in stores. Initially, they give you varied hours, and then depending on your experience you go up. At minimum wage, and working full time at 10 dollar an hours. Your net income would be $20800 + 4% vacation pay year. That is about $21632 an year and $1800 a month.

There are tax deductions on it after that. So i would say about 1500 a month after taxes. And this is when you are making 10 dollar an hour. Different provinces have different minimum wage window.

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Hourly 8-13 CAD , so monthly 1280-2080 CAD apprx. (8 hour/day, 20days/month)

india2canada said:
hello all

do little good,,,that would be the best service to god

thank u all

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
my husband who is in Regina SK, in-charge of shipping/receiving/inventory documentation receives on average CAD650 per week after taxes.

when our PR application comes through, we will be renting a 2-bedroom apartment for CAD940, internet/cable bundle costs CAD45 a month, and he says electricity is around CAD50 a month. he chose to rent an apartment because heating and water is included in the rent.

i often look at saskjobs.ca just to see what jobs are available, most are clerical, some in restaurants, hotels and on the average it pays 10-13 dollars per hour. call center jobs pay less, about 9.50-10 dollars/hour.

but i don't know where you will be so I don't know if I was able to help. I read in some news, there are a lot of jobs available in SK. Regina is not a big city, and everyone says crime rate is high but for us it's ok. realistically there is crime everywhere, we just need to be more careful so we won't be put in situation where we can become victims.

so far, my husband has not experienced any racism. he says his co-employees are nice and friendly and very helpful.

india2canada

Oct 11, 2010
rubyalabar said:
my husband who is in Regina SK, in-charge of shipping/receiving/inventory documentation receives on average CAD650 per week after taxes.

when our PR application comes through, we will be renting a 2-bedroom apartment for CAD940, internet/cable bundle costs CAD45 a month, and he says electricity is around CAD50 a month. he chose to rent an apartment because heating and water is included in the rent.

i often look at saskjobs.ca just to see what jobs are available, most are clerical, some in restaurants, hotels and on the average it pays 10-13 dollars per hour. call center jobs pay less, about 9.50-10 dollars/hour.

but i don't know where you will be so I don't know if I was able to help. I read in some news, there are a lot of jobs available in SK. Regina is not a big city, and everyone says crime rate is high but for us it's ok. realistically there is crime everywhere, we just need to be more careful so we won't be put in situation where we can become victims.

so far, my husband has not experienced any racism. he says his co-employees are nice and friendly and very helpful.
can we get another job for the weekends?

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
You could get as many jobs as you could handle!

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
india2canada said:
can we get another job for the weekends?
yes, you can get another job on weekends. there's no rule saying that you can't.

india2canada

Oct 11, 2010
rubyalabar said:
yes, you can get another job on weekends. there's no rule saying that you can't.
ok,,that's a relief

so can we find some kind of part time or labor job for the weekends and a regular survival job for the weekdays,,,i mean money is important for the newcomer,,so u should aim at bing busy and save as much as u can initially,,,,if one gets work at weekends also it will give useful money

or we can find a job in which we can use our weekends too

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
india2canada said:
ok,,that's a relief

so can we find some kind of part time or labor job for the weekends and a regular survival job for the weekdays,,,i mean money is important for the newcomer,,so u should aim at bing busy and save as much as u can initially,,,,if one gets work at weekends also it will give useful money

or we can find a job in which we can use our weekends too
yes, i guess as long as the schedules don't clash, you can work on two jobs simultaneously.