+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

survival jobs and wages for a newcomer

godblessyou

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
hello all

i have seen in the forum we are majorly those kind of people who will be going to CANADA for the first time
,,,we do not expect anyone to support us or give us place to live more than 4 to 8 weeks,,,,the question i wanna ask here is that what kind of survival jobs are available there and please also share the wages that the senior or landed members are getting for their jobs

we all know the broad picture that what are the minimum level or what is a broad picture but very few people actually share that how much CAD$ they actually get for month,,,how much they spend,,,how are the living costs

i want our friends to share actual figures for their own life,,,please,,,it will be a great help for those who are in process

thank you and "MAY GOD BLESS US ALL"

godblessyou

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
godblessyou said:
hello all

i have seen in the forum we are majorly those kind of people who will be going to CANADA for the first time
,,,we do not expect anyone to support us or give us place to live more than 4 to 8 weeks,,,,the question i wanna ask here is that what kind of survival jobs are available there and please also share the wages that the senior or landed members are getting for their jobs

we all know the broad picture that what are the minimum level or what is a broad picture but very few people actually share that how much CAD$ they actually get for month,,,how much they spend,,,how are the living costs

i want our friends to share actual figures for their own life,,,please,,,it will be a great help for those who are in process

plz share

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
I don't really think anyone can answer this for you. The jobs that are available and the wages change from one day to the next and one location to the next. You just have to get out there and see what you can find.

Good luck!

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
godblessyou said:
we do not expect anyone to support us or give us place to live more than 4 to 8 weeks
This might not be the correct forum for this question. The applicants here are for spousal sponsorships and we enter into an agreement with our spouses that says we will support them for 3 years.

I've already told my husband he won't have to look for work for at least a month or two after he moves up. I'd rather him get a nice vacation to settle into a new country :)

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
godblessyou said:
hello all

If you don't know any one in Canada. Then you can search over internet, and try to find the Immigration and Settlement Organization of the city you are going to land. Email them, and tell them your situation. They can arrange accommodation for you while you are in your country. Of course, you have to pay for the accommodation, and food for first couple of weeks. In the mean time you can look for jobs. Minimum wage in Canada varies from Province to Province. It is currently anywhere from 8.00 to 10.25 per hour.

There are number of online websites like workopolis, monster, jobs.gc.ca etc. You can go to these websites and search for jobs under your skill set level. You can contact employers through email, tell them your situation. Have some contacts to begin with over the email. This will definitely help once you will arrive.

For a family of four. You need about 900-1200 dollars in rent for a 2 bed room apartment. Again rent varies from city to city, and location to location within city. Some landlords include utilities, and some don't. This will be extra 100 dollars if its the later case.

You need around 400-500 dollars for food and other things. Roughly you are looking for 1600 - 2000 dollar per month to survive in the beginning. Hope this will help.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Wow...wish I could find a 2 bedroom apartment to rent in Vancouver for 1200 a month.... :D

Seriously, it really depends where you are wanting to live. I currently live in Metro Vancouver, our mortgage for a 3 bedroom duplex is 2500 cad a month. My partner has a stable job and I was fortunate to get a retail job and earn 45,000 cad a year.

I have no idea what a 'survival job' pays, I am guessing minimum wage. If you are on minimum wage, I doubt you could afford to live anywhere but a bachelor apartment, not something a family of 4 could live in.

Canada is not paved with gold, as some people think. Without good education and excellent English skills, the choice of jobs are minimal.

Research is your 'best friend'.

godblessyou

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
angelbrat said:
Wow...wish I could find a 2 bedroom apartment to rent in Vancouver for 1200 a month.... :D

Seriously, it really depends where you are wanting to live. I currently live in Metro Vancouver, our mortgage for a 3 bedroom duplex is 2500 cad a month. My partner has a stable job and I was fortunate to get a retail job and earn 45,000 cad a year.

I have no idea what a 'survival job' pays, I am guessing minimum wage. If you are on minimum wage, I doubt you could afford to live anywhere but a bachelor apartment, not something a family of 4 could live in.

Canada is not paved with gold, as some people think. Without good education and excellent English skills, the choice of jobs are minimal.

i am planning to land in Edmonton,,,,i have done diploma in mechanical and was working in the same field for 4 years,,,,as far as English level goes i have good communication skills,,,,scored 8 in listening,,,7.5 in speaking,,,,7 in reading,,,and 7 in writing,,,overall 7.5 in my IELTS scores

for expenses,,,i am coming single to canada,,,,i think that can help me staying economical,,,,

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
angelbrat said:

I am not sure about Vancouver. But i used to live in Ottawa on year ago. And over there certainly you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for rent under 1000 bucks including all utilities. And this is for good. and clean apartment i am talking about.

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
do anyone knows abt calgary ??

godblessyou

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
swapnochary said:
do anyone knows abt calgary ??
right now Calgary is becoming very expensive in terms of rent and houses coz of oil and gas boom.......
but still Alberta offers no provincial taxes...so cheer up

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
so toronto is better for newcomers !

godblessyou said:
right now Calgary is becoming very expensive in terms of rent and houses coz of oil and gas boom.......
but still Alberta offers no provincial taxes...so cheer up

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
swapnochary said:
so toronto is better for newcomers !
Toronto is one of the expensive city of Canada as well..

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
2 bedroom apartments in Edmonton range from $650-2500 depending where you want to live and how fancy you want to go. Average for a basic 2 bedroom is $1000, and usually the heat and hot water is included. If you want an elevator in your building, rent is often higher. Sometimes electricity is included if you are lucky. There are good landlords here and very bad ones.

Immigrant and Newcomer services are helpful- there are a few here.

Bus passes are over $70 now I think for an adult. I walk! If you go to certain universities, you get a bus pass for a semester as part of your tuition cost.

As a single person, you can always rent a room in someone's house, for much cheaper than living in an apartment alone.

B

boyee6576

My goodness!! I live on the east coast of Canada. AKA the poorer region LOL. Here you can rent a 3bdr town house for 800- 1000 cad in the best part of the city. Cost of living is very cheap, but the work situation is kind of stinky. I cant imagine living in such huge places as vancouver or toronto.

B

boyee6576

Godblesswife said:
Hi all, I dont belong to this thread, But I Just Popped in to say Happy Thanksgiving.

I know some of us may find it hard to be grateful right now, especially if you are not with your Spouse Today or anyother day for that Matter.
But since you still have that unconditional love that brought you together and keeps you together, then we all have alot to be Thankful for.
This wait will soon be History.
God wants Families together so this wait must end one day soon.

Heres to the Future with our Loved ones .

Happy Thanksgiving

Godbless

Thank you and happy thanksgiving to you also. I have alot to be thankful for even if my husband is far away. For that I am truely thankful to GOD the author and finisher of my faith.
thank you so much Godblesswife