+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrender or give up PR status

mcl101

Oct 15, 2012
Hello Everyone,

My parents are looking for some answers. Here's their story:

Our whole family are PR status in Canada since November 2007. This coming November of 2012, our PR cards will expire. All of us children are eligible to renew our PR cards since we meet the 2yr duration required.
However, for my parents, they did not meet this duration. Our family business in our home country demands both their presence there. Long story short, they only have a couple of months duration here in Canada and we know they can not renew their PR cards anymore.

Is it a good idea to surrender/give up/forfeit their PR status before the PR cards expire? If so how do we go about this?

My parents do plan to return to Canada for short stays as visitors (i.e. on Tourist Visa).

We were thinking if they let their PR cards expire, will they have a hard time applying for a Tourist Visa?

Any thoughts on this is much appreciated

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, they won't have a hard time to apply for tourist visa as long as they satisfy the VO that:

1) Will return to home country at the end of intended stay
2) Financial status

mcl101

Oct 15, 2012
Yes that what i thought too.. Would there be any benefit in surrendering the PR card though?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mcl101 said:
Yes that what i thought too.. Would there be any benefit in surrendering the PR card though?
Except that an overseas office will not issue a TRV as they are still considered PRs, until they either voluntarily surrender it or the VO determines they are no longer PRs.

L7

Star Member
Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TRV temporary resident visa means visitors visa.

No need to surrender before expiry of PR card instead try to retain the PRs that is apply for travel document (TD) on humanitarian & compassionate grounds after expiry of the PR card.

Just try you people have nothing to lose if they approve the TD you will have your PRs renewed.

SASIF

Star Member
Jul 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Except that an overseas office will not issue a TRV as they are still considered PRs, until they either voluntarily surrender it or the VO determines they are no longer PRs.
Hi

Is it likely for a person having PR status in the past to get a visit visa to Canada.

gargsk

Jul 19, 2010
Dear All

Though I have gone through the messages relating to this issue several time but given a situation can you please help me out:

My PR is going to expire at the end of August 2013. My family is in Canada and they have completed their respective residency obligations. I have a house in Canada, on which I have taken the Mortgage. On account of various reasons including JOB related issues, I am in and out several times from Canada and hardly completed 7 months towards my residency obligations. I am again travelling to Canada in July month before my PR is expired but have to come back and I am sure that I am going to loose PR status once I apply for my PR renewal. Hence, I wish to surrender my PR stautus voluntarily at the Canada Airport while travelling in July month and thereafter apply for Visit Visa. Could you kindly advise me
(1) Is it OK to surrender my PR at the Canada Airport? (2) Would there be any problem in getting Visit Visa ? (3) Can I apply visit visa within Canada after surrender my PR ?.

Gargsk