+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supporting Documents - Secondary Review?

robertonnj

Feb 9, 2015
Hi All,

I am curious to know if citizenship applications go to secondary review, similar to PR renewal process.

My PR renewal application took almost a year to finalize due to secondary review and residency questionnaire request. I submitted all the documents and received my PR card without any further difficulties, however CIC had put my file on hold for over 8 months before requesting any documents...

I am now eligible to apply for citizenship and I would like to avoid long delays. If they dig into immigration systems they will discover that my residency was in question in the past. To potentially save time, should I be proactive and send documents supporting my residence with the Citizenship application?

Thanks,

EddyIT

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am curious to know if citizenship applications go to secondary review, similar to PR renewal process.

My PR renewal application took almost a year to finalize due to secondary review and residency questionnaire request. I submitted all the documents and received my PR card without any further difficulties, however CIC had put my file on hold for over 8 months before requesting any documents...

I am now eligible to apply for citizenship and I would like to avoid long delays. If they dig into immigration systems they will discover that my residency was in question in the past. To potentially save time, should I be proactive and send documents supporting my residence with the Citizenship application?

Thanks,
Hi Robertonni,

I also had my PR renewal go through secondary review. I didn't however get any RQ requests as I was pro-active and sent all supporting documents ahead of time with my original PR renewal application. The total process took about 9 months and I got my new PR in the mail sometime in 2015. My understanding is that the Harper government "outsourced" the RQ process to PR renewals as part of the strategy to streamline the citizenship process. Accordingly, I applied for citizenship in Feb 2017 and I only sent exactly what is required (no additional documents). So far, my application is "In-processing" and I haven't been asked to give any further documents and I didn't get an RQ (yet at least). I'm planning on taking all original documents with me to the citizenship interview just in case.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions. Good luck to us all!

bad_manager

Apr 25, 2009
Hi Robertonni,

I also had my PR renewal go through secondary review. I didn't however get any RQ requests as I was pro-active and sent all supporting documents ahead of time with my original PR renewal application. The total process took about 9 months and I got my new PR in the mail sometime in 2015. My understanding is that the Harper government "outsourced" the RQ process to PR renewals as part of the strategy to streamline the citizenship process. Accordingly, I applied for citizenship in Feb 2017 and I only sent exactly what is required (no additional documents). So far, my application is "In-processing" and I haven't been asked to give any further documents and I didn't get an RQ (yet at least). I'm planning on taking all original documents with me to the citizenship interview just in case.

Could you let me know what PR questions were asked?

robertonnj

Feb 9, 2015
Hi Robertonni,

Thanks a lot - all the best!