+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa income

Rion2015

Mar 19, 2018
Hello everyone. My wife wants to send super visa to her parents in Kosovo. She is permanent resident. I am canadian citizen. I am putting my name on invitation letter for financial guarantee. She is on maternity leave due to our sons birth oct 2017. I just started parental leave feb 2018. Our income for 2017 was 56800 combined. We also rent our basement for 1000. We have written lease. I can only include rent from sept last year to dec2017 because tenant moved in sept 2017. Will CIC accept rental income if we have lease? If they do that would total to 60800. We are a family of 6 including my wifes parents. Is that acceptable to them that we just barely passed the low income(58,473) mark with my income, wifes partime income and EI income as well as rental income?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

My wife wants to send super visa to her parents in Kosovo. She is permanent resident. I am canadian citizen. I am putting my name on invitation letter for financial guarantee.
You and your wife would need to co-sign the invitation letter + the promissory note for financial support. You must include a copy of your marriage certificate.

We also rent our basement for 1000. We have written lease. I can only include rent from sept last year to dec2017 because tenant moved in sept 2017. Will CIC accept rental income if we have lease?
Yes, you can include the rental income for LICO calculations for super visa. And, any other financial investments (if available).

If they do that would total to 60800. We are a family of 6 including my wifes parents. Is that acceptable to them that we just barely passed the low income(58,473) mark with my income, wifes partime income and EI income as well as rental income?
If you don't want to risk it (as you just exceed LICO), you may want to consider applying for a super visa for only one in-law. When this in-law is approved, you can then apply for a TRV for the other in-law who would need to demonstrate a good financial situation among other criteria for a TRV

Cheers

Rion2015

Mar 19, 2018
Are they going to look at gross or net. Our net is around 51k and our family gross is around 61k. Which one do they look at?

Meell

Oct 1, 2018
Philippines
Hi, I'm new to this group but I can already foresee great help this can offer in my case. I just corrected the online application of my parents for supervisa and answered child/grandchild in the questionnaire which I answered with parent/grandparent few weeks ago.

Anyway, my sister is the one who is a PR in Canada, she is married with 2 adopted toddlers(husbund's nieces), so when our parents should apply for a supervisa, my sister and brother in law are required to provide for a family of 6 members. However, their combined income based on NOA is only a little over 50k, because my sister is no longer working full time for over a year now so she could take care of the kids. Now she has informed me that they are receiving more than 2k per month(combined) for adoption subsidy apart from 900 from the govt. She also added that up to this moment, they are not yet officially adopted and they (couple) are subjected for further evaluation.
Now the thing is, should we present the situation with our application and include the money from child support to increase the family income?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm new to this group but I can already foresee great help this can offer in my case. I just corrected the online application of my parents for supervisa and answered child/grandchild in the questionnaire which I answered with parent/grandparent few weeks ago.

Anyway, my sister is the one who is a PR in Canada, she is married with 2 adopted toddlers(husbund's nieces), so when our parents should apply for a supervisa, my sister and brother in law are required to provide for a family of 6 members. However, their combined income based on NOA is only a little over 50k, because my sister is no longer working full time for over a year now so she could take care of the kids. Now she has informed me that they are receiving more than 2k per month(combined) for adoption subsidy apart from 900 from the govt. She also added that up to this moment, they are not yet officially adopted and they (couple) are subjected for further evaluation.
Now the thing is, should we present the situation with our application and include the money from child support to increase the family income?
Don't believe that is income it is money they receive for the children's expenses as foster parents. What is written on line 150 of their NOA? Hard to tell if the children would be considered part of their family because they must have custody but are still in foster care. This isn't a common scenario. The money will stop after the adoption so this is not longterm income which is another reason I suspect it won't count. Things like EI don't count (not mat leave) so this is a similar temporary payment situation.

Meell

Oct 1, 2018
Philippines
Don't believe that is income it is money they receive for the children's expenses as foster parents. What is written on line 150 of their NOA? Hard to tell if the children would be considered part of their family because they must have custody but are still in foster care. This isn't a common scenario. The money will stop after the adoption so this is not longterm income which is another reason I suspect it won't count. Things like EI don't count (not mat leave) so this is a similar temporary payment situation.
It is actually indicated in the papers that they are going to receive it until the children reach 21 years of age. I also searched google and it is indeed true that adopted children receive subsidy from $1035 up to $12k, since their expenses also increases, some provinces actually supports adopted children up to 24 years of age. My sister said that this initiative started last 2012, because the govt think that it will benefit orphans to grow in a home than in orphanges, that is why they actually qualify even if they are not high earners. They will only lose the subsidy if they earn as much as 90k per annum.

Anyways I think that we need to be transparent with the application. I believe that we should indicate the kids' status and the subsidy they are receiving.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is actually indicated in the papers that they are going to receive it until the children reach 21 years of age. I also searched google and it is indeed true that adopted children receive subsidy from $1035 up to $12k, since their expenses also increases, some provinces actually supports adopted children up to 24 years of age. My sister said that this initiative started last 2012, because the govt think that it will benefit orphans to grow in a home than in orphanges, that is why they actually qualify even if they are not high earners. They will only lose the subsidy if they earn as much as 90k per annum.

Anyways I think that we need to be transparent with the application. I believe that we should indicate the kids' status and the subsidy they are receiving.
This is more about the foster system than adoption. Private adoptions don't receive money. The OP will have to look into their own situation and look at whether they have custody of children, whether they are foster parents or whether the children have been truly adopted and that they will be free of supervision from social services. This is not a typical situation and will vary by province. The money they receive may be in forms of grants or other payments not income. They may need clarification on their situation and will have to be careful using the right terminology regarding the status of the children.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's correct. Your sister needs to include the adopted children for your LICO calculations i.e. the number of members in your family household. But, the money they get for the adopted children is not income + there is no assurance it will be paid when your parents visit. I don't think she can consider this money towards LICO.

That said, if your sister does not meet LICO (she cannot include the adoption/foster care money) then IMO, your sister must not apply for super visas for your parents

Meell

Oct 1, 2018
Philippines
This is more about the foster system than adoption. Private adoptions don't receive money. The OP will have to look into their own situation and look at whether they have custody of children, whether they are foster parents or whether the children have been truly adopted and that they will be free of supervision from social services. This is not a typical situation and will vary by province. The money they receive may be in forms of grants or other payments not income. They may need clarification on their situation and will have to be careful using the right terminology regarding the status of the children.
She said it's public adoption.

Meell

Oct 1, 2018
Philippines
That's correct. Your sister needs to include the adopted children for your LICO calculations i.e. the number of members in your family household. But, the money they get for the adopted children is not income + there is no assurance it will be paid when your parents visit. I don't think she can consider this money towards LICO.

That said, if your sister does not meet LICO (she cannot include the adoption/foster care money) then IMO, your sister must not apply for super visas for your parents
Both children are identified as crown ward who were placed in adoptive family. She said that it is the government who is supporting the kids, hence the subsidy agreement til 2035.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She said it's public adoption.
So they may not be fully adopted by this family and are crown wards which is foster children. The money is used to incentivize people to become foster parents or to take in the children of relatives. The money usually stops if they adopt the children fully and they are no longer part of the foster care system. Either way this is not income it is subsidies to pay for the cost of care.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok. Did some more research. Looks like it is a subsidy so not income. It is given for hard to place children at least in Ontario since kids over 10 rarely get adopted and goes to 18. Either way it isn't income.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ok. Did some more research. Looks like it is a subsidy so not income. It is given for hard to place children at least in Ontario since kids over 10 rarely get adopted and goes to 18. Either way it isn't income.
Agreed. It is not income. I mentioned the same in my post as well.

OP:
I would recommend your sister does not apply for super visas for your parents. They could try for TRVs instead if your parents have the financial means to pay for their visits + strong ties to their home country

Meell

Oct 1, 2018
Philippines
I
So they may not be fully adopted by this family and are crown wards which is foster children. The money is used to incentivize people to become foster parents or to take in the children of relatives. The money usually stops if they adopt the children fully and they are no longer part of the foster care system. Either way this is not income it is subsidies to pay for the cost of care.
I actually told her that it's risky to apply for both and suggested what I've read here, which is to apply the other parent for a regular TRV since my mom has about $9k on her account and has several time deposits, but she seems to wanna take the risk.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should really check whether the family will also continue to receive assistance after the adoption is finalized. Since they are toddlers the subsidies may end after the adoption is finalized. That is another reason that the subsidy would not count. They may stop receiving it soon.