+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Super Visa] Can the health insurance for unused period be reimbursed

supervisa099

Dec 25, 2014
I understand that for parents' supervisa, I need to purchase insurance for both of them for one year. However, they will stay here only for about 2 months.

Can I have the insurance reimbursed when they leave after 2 months, for the unused period?

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With most companies, if you didn't make any claims and send them the proof of departure, they will refund the remaining amount back. Some companies will pro-rate it from the date the parents left, some will prorate it from the date you request the refund so make sure to read the refund policy of the plan you are buying. If you need the details for a particular policy, you can send me a private message or visit our website.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most companies offer partial refunds for unused days of coverage as long as there has been no claims or pending claims filled. Some companies will also charge administration fees. Insurance companies also use different ways to calculate refunds, some will use the date someone is back in their home country others will use the date a request for partial refund was sent to the insurance company.

I you are travelling for less than six month consider a visitors visa.
All visitor visa applications are now eligible for a ten year multiple entry visa, the cost of insurance is lower and it is not mandatory to be purchased from a Canadian company.

I have had many people applying for a super visa with the intent to stay in Canada for less than two weeks. As a broker I will not sell these people one year policies for a two week visit, I advise them to apply for a visitors visa.

Recently a client of one the immigration firms did this, the intent for fraud. One the refund is issued they travelled back to Canada with a cancelled insurance certificate, then one of the parents had a medical emergency and ended up in the hospital. The sponsor now has to pay $50,000 in medical bills and potentially can also be deported themselves.

Please do not think Canada is a place that will tolerate these type of activities.