+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - anyone applied as yet?

ovelesky

Aug 8, 2016
hi, new forum member here - i have couple of quick questions around the SuperVisa requirements.

1) granted parents need insurance when they are in here in Canada to qualify for SV - that said, what happens if they already have insurance through their current place of work which covers travel? Does this allow them to be exempted from having to purchase additional insurance?

2) the SV requirements state the applicants must have insurance for the first year; what happens for subsequent visits and travels, do they no longer require mandatory coverage?

3) Currently for my parents the quotes are between 1.5-2/pp – and I wanted to know if this would recurring year round even if they do not travel to Canada as frequently?

Thanks for your help!

A_the_O

Jun 17, 2009
Hi ovelesky,

When you answer the questions of the online questionnaire, you're given the list of supporting document you have to submit, along with the detailed explanation for each kind of document, so here's what it says about the insurance:

That answers your first question.

Regarding second question, to apply for a visa you have to buy an insurance that covers your parents' stay for 1 year. After you get the visa, you're responsible for taking care of the insurance. I would assume, that an officer may request your insurance during landing, but that's very unlikely. I wouldn't risk to come without any insurance, though.

I did not understand your third question. What quote are you talking about?

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
Paul09 said:
Hi Everone,

I would like to share timeline of super visa application for my parents :

Timeline as follows:

Online application submitted: July 6th, 2016
Application has been updated (No Change/Update): July 7th, 2016
Application has been updated (Medical Passed): July 12th, 2016
New message in account (Original Passport Request) : August 3rd, 2016
Application has been updated (No Change/Update): August 4th, 2016
Passport submitted at VFS Chandigarh, India: August 5th, 2016

I will keep this timeline updated for other members. Hoping for the best.

Regards,
Paul
Update:

Passport has been couriered from the Canada Visa Application Centre, on August 9th, 2016
Final decision: This application has been approved.

Thanks to all members and their valuable experience, I was able to get this done. I wish all the members good luck who are waiting for their results.

Regards,
Paul09

Danish421

Sep 6, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2004
LANDED..........
04-09-2004
Hello Everyone,
Does any one received a passport request after Medical passed who applied Parents SV in May??

Please Share your Timeline for Super Visa

Applied Online(Islamabad) May 15, 2016
Bio Metric Done: May 19th
Medical Req Received: July 7th
Medical Status changed into Passed: July 28

Waiting for Passport Request

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Paul09 said:
Update:

Passport has been couriered from the Canada Visa Application Centre, on August 9th, 2016
Final decision: This application has been approved.

Thanks to all members and their valuable experience, I was able to get this done. I wish all the members good luck who are waiting for their results.

Regards,
Paul09
Great news Paul, congrats again. I have one question. My parents did their medical and Doctor gave them medical report proof. Do we need to send it to CIC or that's for our own record ?

Thanks

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
backendcode said:
Great news Paul, congrats again. I have one question. My parents did their medical and Doctor gave them medical report proof. Do we need to send it to CIC or that's for our own record ?

Thanks
The doctor will pass all the necessary information to CIC, no need to send anything separately from your side. This is for your own record.

Regards

Sam6227

Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

If my parents are here in Canada on visitor visa, can they apply for Super visa in Canada? or do they have to apply from back home?

Any input on this will be helpful.

Thank you!

smullyoz

Aug 20, 2013
Sam6227 said:
Hello Everyone,

If my parents are here in Canada on visitor visa, can they apply for Super visa in Canada? or do they have to apply from back home?

Any input on this will be helpful.

Thank you!
As far as I know, no.

But they can apply for an extension, and if you fulfull the same requirements for a SuperVisa (insurance, etc) they should grant you a 2 year extension though the supervisa program. After that though, probably best to send back home and apply from there.

Sam6227

Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smullyoz said:
As far as I know, no.

But they can apply for an extension, and if you fulfull the same requirements for a SuperVisa (insurance, etc) they should grant you a 2 year extension though the supervisa program. After that though, probably best to send back home and apply from there.
Yea thats what I thought! Thanks for the info... appreciate it!

purpleheart

Jan 22, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2014(mpnp on line), 16-01-2016 (cic/paper-based)
Nomination.....
08-12-2015 (mpnp)
AOR Received.
22-03-2016 (UCI#, EP#)
IELTS Request
19-09-2015 by mpnp
File Transfer...
Med's Request
13-04-2016
Med's Done....
22-04-2016
Interview........
Sponsor's Interview: 27-11-2015(mpnp)
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2016
LANDED..........
20-10-2016
MommyBear888 said:
so did your father got a super visa? is this possible?
he got Only TRV ...since we dont have insurance yet to apply for superV.

ovelesky

Aug 8, 2016
A_the_O said:
Hi ovelesky,

When you answer the questions of the online questionnaire, you're given the list of supporting document you have to submit, along with the detailed explanation for each kind of document, so here's what it says about the insurance:

That answers your first question.

Regarding second question, to apply for a visa you have to buy an insurance that covers your parents' stay for 1 year. After you get the visa, you're responsible for taking care of the insurance. I would assume, that an officer may request your insurance during landing, but that's very unlikely. I wouldn't risk to come without any insurance, though.

I did not understand your third question. What quote are you talking about?
Thank you very much A for the first two questions!

My third question was - that current price for the insurance for my parents is coming out to $1,500-$2,000 per person for a year.

After this first year mandatory requirement, for all future travels so do we have to get a years worth of insurance or can we just get coverage for actual number of days they will be in Canada - so 4 months, 5 months etc instead of the full 365 day coverage - as it will be cheaper.

And I am assuming for insurance coverage after the first year the border control office will be looking for a Canadian issuer again?

Finally - does the SV provide any benefit or priority to when I want to sponsor my parents for permanent residence to Canada?

Once again, THANKS!

A_the_O

Jun 17, 2009
Hi ovelesky,

You're welcome!

>After this first year mandatory requirement, for all future travels so do we have to get a years worth of insurance or can we just get coverage for actual number of days they will be in Canada - so 4 months, 5 months etc instead of the full 365 day coverage - as it will be cheaper.
> And I am assuming for insurance coverage after the first year the border control office will be looking for a Canadian issuer again?
That, I don't know. But I would speculate that you should be fine with your parents' travel insurance not issued in Canada. I doubt immigration officers would check their insurance details on each entry.

> Finally - does the SV provide any benefit or priority to when I want to sponsor my parents for permanent residence to Canada?
The only benefit I know of, is that your parents can stay longer - for up to 2 years. As for the priority - I don't think so. I did check the requirements for regular Visitor Visa, and it looks like the supporting documents are different. For example, you have to prove your parents' travel history, their ties to the country where they live in, etc. Whereas, you don't have to prove anything of the sort for Super Visa. So, for me it's a benefit :) But some prefer to apply for a Visitor Visa.

God luck!

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
ovelesky said:
Thank you very much A for the first two questions!

My third question was - that current price for the insurance for my parents is coming out to $1,500-$2,000 per person for a year.

After this first year mandatory requirement, for all future travels so do we have to get a years worth of insurance or can we just get coverage for actual number of days they will be in Canada - so 4 months, 5 months etc instead of the full 365 day coverage - as it will be cheaper.

And I am assuming for insurance coverage after the first year the border control office will be looking for a Canadian issuer again?

Finally - does the SV provide any benefit or priority to when I want to sponsor my parents for permanent residence to Canada?

Once again, THANKS!
Each time your parents enter Canada with SV, the CBSA officer at POE will/may check for 1-year medical insurance bought from Canadian insurer. If your parents want to stay for few months on subsequent visits and can prove that to the officer with a valid return ticket; they may show an insurance for such duration. On the other hand, if your parents want to stay for a minimum of 1 year on any entry, it's very likely that the POE officer will look for valid medical insurance. FYI, most SV insurance scheme is partially refundable if parents leave Canada before 1-year expiry. In that case, you may need to show proof of return (i.e. boarding pass) to the insurer.

SV doesn't give you any priority in getting PR in Canada although having parents with you when you apply for sponsorship gives you some advantages (signature, supporting documents etc.).

A_the_O

Jun 17, 2009
So, I have a weird situation right now. My parents both were requested medicals, and they passed the exams a week ago. This morning I noticed that the application's status for my Dad was changed to Medicals: Passed, but Mom's application still says "We need your medical information". Is it a common situation? Or does it mean, that there might be some issues with her exam results? They did suspect something and sent her for an additional exam, but haven't told her if anything was wrong.