+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestion : Changing Spouse visa from visitor to Open work permit

sivakumar123

Aug 26, 2022
Hi,
Require your suggestion on a situation.
I'm on a closed temporary work permit. I applied for a visitor visa for my spouse using the new portal and it has been approved.
I understand that, I should have applied for an Open work permit in the first place.
Was wondering if I can apply for OWP now using the old portal (as there is no such option in the new portal) or should I wait for my spouse to arrive to Canada and then apply?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Require your suggestion on a situation.
I'm on a closed temporary work permit. I applied for a visitor visa for my spouse using the new portal and it has been approved.
I understand that, I should have applied for an Open work permit in the first place.
Was wondering if I can apply for OWP now using the old portal (as there is no such option in the new portal) or should I wait for my spouse to arrive to Canada and then apply?
Now that your spouse got a TRV I would start the OWP process unless they truly are only coming to visit. The process is long so would initiate it as soon as possible although not urgent unless sge wants to work as soon as possible. Application will take many months to get processed but is the proper permit to remain living in Canada whether she plans on working or not.

sivakumar123

Aug 26, 2022
Now that your spouse got a TRV I would start the OWP process unless they truly are only coming to visit. The process is long so would initiate it as soon as possible although not urgent unless sge wants to work as soon as possible. Application will take many months to get processed but is the proper permit to remain living in Canada whether she plans on working or not.
Understood. Thank you for your response.