+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Substitution for IELTS

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You mean you need 6 points for English? At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp around the middle of the page, you can see what the scores mean. If you score 5.0 or above in reading and 5.5 or above in everything else, you would get 8 points.

aurobind

Nov 23, 2008
If I have 6.5 in listening, 6.5 in reading, 7 in speaking and 7.5 in writing and overall of 7, how many points do I get?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To lazy to go to the website I posted to look for yourself?

From what I see, you have 2 for listening, 4 for each of the other so total 14 points. To get full points, you need 6.5 or more for speaking, reading and writing but 7.5 or more for listening.

momo2x1

Apr 19, 2008
hi all
please help me if you have such a case.
i live in Gaza and the only IELTS exam provider is the Britch Council and since last year they don't do it because they don't have examiner! what should i do to evaluate my english?
Also it is very difficult to leave gaza now and in the foreseen future!!

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Come On Guys ! Canada needs people who know good english, Without having good knowledge in english you'd better stay in your own coutry. Remember, they dont need people who dont know the level of english they need to live well in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
momo2x1 said:
hi all
please help me if you have such a case.
i live in Gaza and the only IELTS exam provider is the Britch Council and since last year they don't do it because they don't have examiner! what should i do to evaluate my english?
Also it is very difficult to leave gaza now and in the foreseen future!!
If you have tried to ask for a visa to go to Egypt or Israel or wherever to take IELTS and you were denied, send that denial with your application and try to include some documents for your English knowledge. They may not give you full 16 points but they may give you enough. How many do you need? Do you have access to another exam like TOEFL?

momo2x1

Apr 19, 2008
thank you Leon,
it is very very difficult to go to Egypt or Israel at the present time.
Yes i can do TOEFL, will it help and how?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TOEFL will help because it's also a test. Even though it's not the test they ask for, it proves your English knowledge to a point. When you submit a good TOEFL and a letter of explanation of why you can't get IELTS, they will have to give you some points for English. How many points is still up to the visa officer but it's better to have a TOEFL than just to have some letters stating how good your English is. TOEFL will put a number on how good your English is.

tito1

Apr 6, 2009
wpc71 said:
When you take the IELTS for the second time, are the graders lenient of the point system?
No way!!
sorry no, i took exam 2 time and the different on my score with so littel

first time i got 5.5 second 6
i don't believe it makes different

laizagrc

Jul 11, 2009
I really need help..can anyone please send me a format or sample of "Letter of English proficiency".. And "English Reference Letter from Employer"?

Appreciate it.

thank you
PLS..HELP ME PLS..PLS EMAIL IT TO ME @ laizagrc@yahoo.com

Thank u so much,

Laiza

allaglu

Jul 13, 2009
Hello!
I am wondering if I need to pass IELTS exam to apply for PR in Canada (I am working in Canada now) even if I spent 4.5 years working in the USA and I can prove my knowledge in English by getting a letter from my former employer in the USA? Are there any specific forms of those letters what I have to submit to Immigration Office in Canada?
Thank you very much for all good suggestions and advices in advance!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need to take IELTS but Canada Immigration strongly recommends that you do, unless English is your mother tongue. If you use documents to support your English knowledge, it is up to the visa officer how many points they give you. They may give you zero. If you don't need the points or you want to gamble, go for it. Otherwise, take IELTS.

mamainak

Jul 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

is IELTS only certificate they accept? Honestly, I don't understand why IELTS because it's an academic language level system, generally used when applying for studying in English speaking country and it lasts only 2 years...
Can Cambridge Proficiency be accepted? It's respected and internationally accepted, lifelong certificate.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS general training option is the one they ask for. They have stated that as long as your IELTS is no older than one year at the time you apply, they will consider it valid throughout your application. That is, if your application takes so long that your IELTS becomes 2 years old, they will not request you to re-take it.

Of course you can do whatever you want. If you don't want to take IELTS, you can write a letter to prove your English proficiency, give them documents from schools and/or universities, letters from your professors or employers etc. You can send them all kinds of other tests like Cambridge proficiency and/or TOEFL etc. However, if you do this, there is no set score to points conversion and they can basically give you as few or many points as they like. If you want to be sure of your points, take the IELTS before you apply and you will know exactly how many points you will get.