+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

submittion of TRV application in person

informdhaval

Mar 23, 2011
I am in US on H1B visa. I am planning to visit my brother who lives in Buffalo on June 26 & will return to work on July 11.
From there we are planning to visit Canada for 3 days (Jul 1- July 4).
I am thinking of submitting the TRV application in person in Consulate General of Canada (Buffalo) while I am in Buffalo.
Can I get the visa stamped on the same day? If not what would be other option to get it stamped during my visit to Buffalo.
Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

informdhaval said:
I am in US on H1B visa. I am planning to visit my brother who lives in Buffalo on June 26 & will return to work on July 11.
From there we are planning to visit Canada for 3 days (Jul 1- July 4).
I am thinking of submitting the TRV application in person in Consulate General of Canada (Buffalo) while I am in Buffalo.
Can I get the visa stamped on the same day? If not what would be other option to get it stamped during my visit to Buffalo.
Thanks.
From Buffalo's web site

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are installing a new computer system. As a result, applications submitted in March 2011 may take longer than usual to process. Our average processing times have been adjusted accordingly. If you wish to apply for a visitor visa, work permit or study permit, we encourage you to submit your application by mail. We cannot provide same-day service to walk-in clients at this time. Thank you for your understanding."

Also depends if you are citizen of a country with the 10 day mandatory wait time.

MANDATORY WAITING PERIODS

Citizens of the following countries are subject to a mandatory wait period. The usual wait period is 10 working days (not including US and Canadian statutory holidays) but may be longer depending on the case.

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kosovo, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Montenegro, Morocco, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, and Yemen. The same waiting period also applies to holders of travel documents issued by the Palestinian Authority.

So you will not get in a day, Buffalo is averaging 21 days, New York 7 days. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp#west

informdhaval

Mar 23, 2011
thanks for the quick reply.

1) regarding ""IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are installing a new computer system.....", i beleive this is only applicable for March applicants. I will apply while i am in Buffalo (i.e in June).

2) regarding "MANDATORY WAITING PERIODS", i an a Indian citizen hence this rule does not apply to me.

so is there a possibility of getting a visitor visa on the same day?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
informdhaval said:

1) regarding ""IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are installing a new computer system.....", i beleive this is only applicable for March applicants. I will apply while i am in Buffalo (i.e in June).

2) regarding "MANDATORY WAITING PERIODS", i an a Indian citizen hence this rule does not apply to me.

"We cannot provide same-day service to walk-in clients at this time. "

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can try in June when you are ready to bring your application. Right now, as Baloo has posted, The Canadian Consulate in Buffalo is installing a new computer system, and they won't be able to provide you with a same day processing service. Let's hope the new system speeds up future processing.

informdhaval said:

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
Ooooppppsssss my bad, Sorry PMM. Yup as PMM has posted. (Result of staying up late in front of the computer :))
I know that feeling :)

informdhaval

Mar 23, 2011
Hi,

The notice on the buffalo site just got updated. Now it reads

IMPORTANT NOTICE: "We have recently installed a new computer system in all US offices. As a result, applications are taking longer than usual to process. If you wish to apply for a temporary resident visa, work permit or study permit, we encourage you to submit your application by mail and to ensure that you fill in and validate the forms found on our website . We recommend that you apply at least 3 months in advance of your planned travel. Thank you for your understanding."

earlier the notice used to read something like this
....we cannot guarantee same day service to walk-in clients...

there is no mention of walk-in visa in the new notice.
does that mean walk-in visa (same day visa) is now permitted?

thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
learning the new system probably so no one day processing for now till they have ironed out all the kinks. Wonder why they didn't do a parallel processing:)

informdhaval said:
Hi,

The notice on the buffalo site just got updated. Now it reads

IMPORTANT NOTICE: "We have recently installed a new computer system in all US offices. As a result, applications are taking longer than usual to process. If you wish to apply for a temporary resident visa, work permit or study permit, we encourage you to submit your application by mail and to ensure that you fill in and validate the forms found on our website . We recommend that you apply at least 3 months in advance of your planned travel. Thank you for your understanding."

earlier the notice used to read something like this
....we cannot guarantee same day service to walk-in clients...

there is no mention of walk-in visa in the new notice.
does that mean walk-in visa (same day visa) is now permitted?

thanks.

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am going to apply for one this weekend. I am not sure of same-day service, I am just going to give it a shot. If they say yes, its cool, else, i will take the application back, come home and apply by mail :D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MCBoy said:
I am going to apply for one this weekend. I am not sure of same-day service, I am just going to give it a shot. If they say yes, its cool, else, i will take the application back, come home and apply by mail :D
Interesting, since none of the US offices are open on the weekend.

Papapee

May 31, 2011
Do not stress yourself going to the Embassy thinking that you can get same day service. I am speaking from experience, I drove over 800miles in last week of April to Detroit and stay in the hotel and wasted over $700 (transport and accommodation) hoping to get same day service as usual, only to to told at the Embassy that my application will be processed in 28 days.I just recently found out that processing time has been changed to 30 business days. I am still waiting for my passport without any idea when I will receive it. Today made it the 33 days in the waiting and glued to my computer, checking USPS tracking information every minutes without any luck.

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oops correction!! he he he....Friday...not weekend....been a long time since I took a vacation, so this time i will go there and try, if does not workout, atleast see niagara from american side and come back :D...

PMM said:
Hi

Interesting, since none of the US offices are open on the weekend.