+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submission of PRTD application using Permanent Resident Portal

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Hi all,

I submitted an application for a PRTD using the Permanent Resident Portal. It had a few technical glitches before I managed to get the submission button to work. In now says application submitted but I have not received a confirmation email indicating the system has recognized that I have applied? Is this normal?
How long has this PR portal been running? It seems so buggy. Is it brand new? Kind of wish I had used to old paper system.
Also anyone know how long before you hear back, as there is no standard of service for PRTD on the IRCC website.
Thanks everyone.

Julie

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi all,

I submitted an application for a PRTD using the Permanent Resident Portal. It had a few technical glitches before I managed to get the submission button to work. In now says application submitted but I have not received a confirmation email indicating the system has recognized that I have applied? Is this normal?
How long has this PR portal been running? It seems so buggy. Is it brand new? Kind of wish I had used to old paper system.
Also anyone know how long before you hear back, as there is no standard of service for PRTD on the IRCC website.
Thanks everyone.

Julie
Did you link to Gckey account? I did that yesterday (week after submitting through portal) and it shows what is being done and what is not required.

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Nothing in my newly created Gckey account but will check again in a few days. Did you apply for PR card or PRTD? Only certain kinds of applications go on Gckey apperantly.

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
UPDATE: Nothing in GCKey still but today we received an email saying a decision had been made and please could we submit the physical passport. I assume this is so they can put the PRTD in it. So that is brilliant, a PRTD decision in less than 3 days. Wow! :) By the way the PR portal never updated. It still just says 'submitted'.
NEW PROBLEM: They want the passport no later than 30 days after the date of the letter. We are going to Portugal in 4 weeks and I cannot give them the passport within the 30 day window unless we miss our trip. This is because the VAC in London that takes the passports can take up to 6 weeks to give it back. o_O Anyone else run into this problem? How did you solve it?
Had they told me about this 30 day window, I would have waited until after our trip to apply, but I had no idea and I read all the fine print in every possible document.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
UPDATE: Nothing in GCKey still but today we received an email saying a decision had been made and please could we submit the physical passport. I assume this is so they can put the PRTD in it. So that is brilliant, a PRTD decision in less than 3 days. Wow! :) By the way the PR portal never updated. It still just says 'submitted'.
NEW PROBLEM: They want the passport no later than 30 days after the date of the letter. We are going to Portugal in 4 weeks and I cannot give them the passport within the 30 day window unless we miss our trip. This is because the VAC in London that takes the passports can take up to 6 weeks to give it back. o_O Anyone else run into this problem? How did you solve it?
Had they told me about this 30 day window, I would have waited until after our trip to apply, but I had no idea and I read all the fine print in every possible document.
Thanks for the update - Hopefully ability to send passport later or immediately and get it back before trip is resolved. Was the majority of 5 year period spent accompanying citizen spouse abroad?

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Yes all of 5 years spent accompanying Canadian wife abroad. I sent LOTS of evidence, probably too much (marriage certificate, deed of house in both names, bills in both names, dated photos of our family, recent mortgage agreement in both names, children's birth certificates both born within the 5 years showing both parents names)

Reactions: Tubsmagee