+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying while waiting for PNP PR approval

Hasansol

Jul 21, 2017
Hello,
After finishing my MSc, I have got work permit. Then I was nominated for PNP of Alberta based on a NOC C job. After that I have applied for the PR application on March 2017. The application processing time is around 16 months.

Now I am planning to go back to school and start my PhD on January 2017. At that time, the PR application will be under process. I have a few questions, and i would really appreciate if you could share your knowledge and experience:

1. Is there any restrictions on applying for the study permit in my case?
2. How much is the chance of getting study permit again?
3. Do I loose my work permit if I get the study permit?
4. Is there any effect on PR application if I go back to study permit?

Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Hasan

tandpteam

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-05-2016
Med's Request
07-06-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
05-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
28-12-2017
Hello,
After finishing my MSc, I have got work permit. Then I was nominated for PNP of Alberta based on a NOC C job. After that I have applied for the PR application on March 2017. The application processing time is around 16 months.

Now I am planning to go back to school and start my PhD on January 2017. At that time, the PR application will be under process. I have a few questions, and i would really appreciate if you could share your knowledge and experience:

1. Is there any restrictions on applying for the study permit in my case?
2. How much is the chance of getting study permit again?
3. Do I loose my work permit if I get the study permit?
4. Is there any effect on PR application if I go back to study permit?

Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Hasan

I've never been in your situation, but I think:
1. If you have an admission letter from your school, and all required documents ( check CIC), then you should be good.
2. CIC wants money through study permits. To me getting a study permit is easy, getting PR is a different and frustrating story.
3. You only can have 1 permit valid, either work permit or study permit. I know that (well, at least back in my time), a study permit means you're a full time student, you're not allowed to work more than 20 hrs/week ( they even made us apply for off-campus work permit back then, but they have removed it recently). Work permit means you can work part-time, full-time or whatever you wanna do like unemployed, but not going to school. You might be able to study online (and pay international fee of course).
4. The PNP is granted based on your employment merit. I kind of think it's too risky to switch to study permit. Someone else with expertise might be able to answer you.