+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Visa age 38 chances

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
There clearly seems to have been a directive to approve anyone in the tech sector because it is very unusual for you all to get approved given your work and education history. Pretty clear that most if not all of you are not genuine students and it doesn’t make sense to return to school and would have immigrated via economic stream if that was an option.
With all due respect, I think it is a little presumptuous to leap to such conclusions when you know very little of each individual's history, career path and ambitions. Generalization is very easy.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
With all due respect, I think it is a little presumptuous to leap to such conclusions when you know very little of each individual's history, career path and ambitions. Generalization is very easy.
it could also be true, which just means Canada is preferring people from tech backgrounds which isnt weird or wrong or illegal. Just dependant on what kind of work force they need in coming years. Also people misunderstand what "genuine student" means. it doesnt mean someone for whom living in Canada permanently is something they have never thought about. It is someone who wont violate the study permit laws and will stay in legal status.
If Canada was so bent on not allowing students to stay they wouldn't have a hundred ways for students to settle after graduation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not really. Just saw 5 people posting about their pretty recent acceptance with similar profiles and in their late 30s or early 40s. Extremely unusual for all the get approved. Normally one would get approved. Also no secret that Canada is primarily in need of skilled workers in IT. Tech workers are probably the top skilled worker in demand and short supply in Canada. Canada has announced that they are trying to be more targetted with their immigration and will soon be announcing some changes to their immigration programs to try to attract immigrants that have the skills Canada needs. For example the current FSWP program favours professions like dentists, pharmacist and lawyers which their is a surplus in almost all of Canada while tech workers who may only have a bachelors are actually needed and may not qualify.

Reactions: Aesopzai

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
it could also be true, which just means Canada is preferring people from tech backgrounds which isnt weird or wrong or illegal. Just dependant on what kind of work force they need in coming years. Also people misunderstand what "genuine student" means. it doesnt mean someone for whom living in Canada permanently is something they have never thought about. It is someone who wont violate the study permit laws and will stay in legal status.
If Canada was so bent on not allowing students to stay they wouldn't have a hundred ways for students to settle after graduation.
No genuine student means someone who is going to school because they want to gain skills not because immigration is a factor.

Favouring tech workers when looking at study permits is not a bad thing. If trying to attract workers with tech experience Canada is probably trying to capture slightly older candidates who may have not qualified for economic programs but who have 20-30 years likely left in their careers. It is pretty clear that most applying for study permits in their late 30s and early 40s are only interested in immigration except for PhDs or some masters degrees. Within the study permit approval process there are clearly some special instructions to VO. Canada is also much more flexible when it comes to financial proof for PhD candidates and masters degree from good schools. The masters and PhD students usually get approval for their families to join them in Canada while others do not. N

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
There clearly seems to have been a directive to approve anyone in the tech sector because it is very unusual for you all to get approved given your work and education history. Pretty clear that most if not all of you are not genuine students and it doesn’t make sense to return to school and would have immigrated via economic stream if that was an option.
Your comment is annoying, in that it belittles the effort some of us put into submitting a proper application which resulted in our approval. Clearly they are not giving approvals to "just anyone" in tech as seen in this post and many others.
If I had no plans of pursuing my program, I could have easily withdrawn my school admission and cancelled study plans the moment I got my SINP nomination and submitted my PR application.

Not sure what you mean by "pretty clear" we are not genuine students cos it's a no brainer more than 90% of those who apply to study use it as a path for economic immigration, so not really a eureka moment. I wonder if you also didn't fall into the same category at some point?

Tone down the condescension.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
No genuine student means someone who is going to school because they want to gain skills not because immigration is a factor.
Absolutely not true. Genuine student would be someone who has intention to complete their program, and if not awarded further legal status will leave the country. Someone who may have no country to return to, no job to return to, no educational background to support completing the proposed program, for eg may be tempted to over stay legal status which is what they want to avoid happening

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Absolutely not true. Genuine student would be someone who has intention to complete their program, and if not awarded further legal status will leave the country. Someone who may have no country to return to, no job to return to, no educational background to support completing the proposed program, for eg may be tempted to over stay legal status which is what they want to avoid happening
I agree with you. The fact that they approve application, they are both genuine students. Thats my definition of genuine student. It is ignorant to suggest that you are not genuine student if you are late 30 or 40s and ignore skill potential applicant bring in. On other hand, IRCC continue to approve application from “low in demand occupation” like pharmacies/ human resources etc. At the end over 95% regardless of their age will pursue Permanent residence option at the end, very few will return back and Canada would love to see their population grow from immigrant educated in Canada. Its funny how she “canucks78” make generalization after reading 5 similar profile got approved in the past and make conclusion. 5 applicants out of how many applications in total? I would rather read open data source or written guidelines than making conclusion from 5 sample size

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
The VO does not care whether you choose to stay after your graduation, if you are qualified for a pgwp, or choose to leave.

The will only care about you complying with the visa class you applied for: a temporary study permit. If you can't prove you will leave after your temporary stay, then it is irrelevant whether you're 40 or 18, you will be refused the study permit.

Amit25July

Feb 8, 2021

Favouring tech workers when looking at study permits is not a bad thing. If trying to attract workers with tech experience Canada is probably trying to capture slightly older candidates who may have not qualified for economic programs but who have 20-30 years likely left in their careers. It is pretty clear that most applying for study permits in their late 30s and early 40s are only interested in immigration except for PhDs or some masters degrees. Within the study permit approval process there are clearly some special instructions to VO. Canada is also much more flexible when it comes to financial proof for PhD candidates and masters degree from good schools. The masters and PhD students usually get approval for their families to join them in Canada while others do not. N
Your observations are biased and without any logic

Reactions: wonderbly

Olutom

Feb 6, 2021
I agree

Sblue

May 19, 2021
A genuine student is also someone who is going for PR, like me. Many people like me who want to get a degree and eventually work at good places through education and qualify for PR in the end. If in case it doesn’t work out, one returns. So its hand in hand and not just study anything and bum around.