+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study under 6 months without permit

mrsilencio

Mar 29, 2023
Hi
I'm hoping for some concrete advice as have read or been told conflicting things.

I am awaiting an outland common-law PR application, but in the meantime would like to take a university course which would take about 4 weeks. I have applied for a study permit, which I would use to transfer to a longer University course, but this may not be approved before the 4 week course begins.

I'm trying to ascertain whether I am able to complete the 4 weeks course without a visa, given that is less than 6 months, but also whether there would then be any issues with me continuing my studies with a work permit applied for outside of Canada. Would this be looked on negatively?

Any advice that anyone might be able to offer would be gratefully received.

Thanks on advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I'm hoping for some concrete advice as have read or been told conflicting things.

I am awaiting an outland common-law PR application, but in the meantime would like to take a university course which would take about 4 weeks. I have applied for a study permit, which I would use to transfer to a longer University course, but this may not be approved before the 4 week course begins.

I'm trying to ascertain whether I am able to complete the 4 weeks course without a visa, given that is less than 6 months, but also whether there would then be any issues with me continuing my studies with a work permit applied for outside of Canada. Would this be looked on negatively?

Any advice that anyone might be able to offer would be gratefully received.

Thanks on advance.
You can’t typically study on a WP. Would you be attending the 4 week course while on a WP or other studies? What type of WP? Given you are waiting for Outland sponsorship there is a decent chance that your study permit or any WP will be denied because you don’t have plans to return home after the permit expires. Would wait and see what the outcome of permits are before making too many plans.