+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Questions

dj24

Feb 17, 2024
Hi dears in Canada Visa,

I am DJ from Iraq, I'm married for about a year, I am a government employee ( Permanent Employment Contract ) and I have obtained an unconditional offer to study in Canada - in a College - Graduate certificate Course of 1 year and I have also paid the first semester tuition fees successfully.

Now, I applied to study in Canada in order to get a chance to move there me and my spouse. I have couple of questions though:
1- Do they accept a study permit application that is being applied before the course starts by like a year? or this would affect to cause my application to get rejected ? or at least affect the probability of accepting it? I am thinking of doing so to make sure the time will be enough for me so that I arrive and start my course safely and also to arrange my living stuff there before I start, add to it the case if the study permit got rejected first then I would need to re-apply, and each apply would take 3-4 months at least to get result.
2- I have been advised to apply alone first as I am the student, and then after I arrive there, I make like invitation to my spouse to come and accompany me in my living there.
other offices I asked here in my country said no, they are accepting families more than individuals, so I am really confused now, which choice is better? I really need my husband to be with me because it's hard for me to be far from him for 3-4 months and in the same time I don't want to risk it. so please any advice regarding any recent experience?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi dears in Canada Visa,

I am DJ from Iraq, I'm married for about a year, I am a government employee ( Permanent Employment Contract ) and I have obtained an unconditional offer to study in Canada - in a College - Graduate certificate Course of 1 year and I have also paid the first semester tuition fees successfully.

Now, I applied to study in Canada in order to get a chance to move there me and my spouse. I have couple of questions though:
1- Do they accept a study permit application that is being applied before the course starts by like a year? or this would affect to cause my application to get rejected ? or at least affect the probability of accepting it? I am thinking of doing so to make sure the time will be enough for me so that I arrive and start my course safely and also to arrange my living stuff there before I start, add to it the case if the study permit got rejected first then I would need to re-apply, and each apply would take 3-4 months at least to get result.
2- I have been advised to apply alone first as I am the student, and then after I arrive there, I make like invitation to my spouse to come and accompany me in my living there.
other offices I asked here in my country said no, they are accepting families more than individuals, so I am really confused now, which choice is better? I really need my husband to be with me because it's hard for me to be far from him for 3-4 months and in the same time I don't want to risk it. so please any advice regarding any recent experience?

Thanks
1. What school? So have you applied for study permit yet? If not, you need a letter of attestation from the province before you can apply. Provinces are now capped on the number of students who can study in Canada. You can apply once you have letter from province. Provinces have until March 31 to post their eligibility requirements and costs.
2. Spouses will no be longer eligible for SOWPs unless you are taking a Masters or PhD. Government just announced this in January. He can apply for a visitor visa. He will need to show funds, travel history and ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, investments, properties etc.). So you need to be willing to come to Canada and study without him if his visitor visa is refused. Make sure you show funds for 2 people since he cannot work.

Last edited:

dj24

Feb 17, 2024
1. What school? So have you applied for study permit yet? If not, you need a letter of attestation from the province before you can apply. Provinces are now capped on the number of students who can study in Canada. You can apply once you have letter from province. Provinces have until March 31 to post their eligibility requirements and costs.
2. Spouses will no be longer eligible for SOWPs unless you are taking a Masters or PhD. Government just announced this in January. He can apply for a visitor visa. He will need to show funds, travel history and ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, investments, properties etc.). So you need to be willing to come to Canada and study without him if his visitor visa is refused. Make sure you show funds for 2 people since he cannot work.
Well, is the post graduate also included in the attestation letter? as I understood there was a grey area regarding such cases also for the spouse its not yet active law but in the process right?
ps: I havent applied for study permit yet.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well, is the post graduate also included in the attestation letter? as I understood there was a grey area regarding such cases also for the spouse its not yet active law but in the process right?
ps: I havent applied for study permit yet.
No grey area, as it was clarified by IRCC and is on study permit site. You need the letter so will have to wait.

Who doesn’t need a provincial attestation letter
You do not need a PAL when applying for a study permit if you

• are applying to study in a preschool, primary school or secondary school (up to grade 12)
  • are applying to study in a master’s degree or doctoral degree program

As for SOWP, expect it within the next few weeks and when process/applications for attestation letters are released. Don’t expect a SOWP if you haven’t applied.

Reactions: scylla